• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Vegetarian menu = health risks?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thought this was interesting. Not a new story but I just found it. It was originally published last year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-diet-changes-human-dna-raising-risk-of-canc/
Long term vegetarian diet changes human DNA raising risk of cancer and heart disease

Populations who have had a primarily vegetarian diet for generations carried a genetic mutation which raised risk of cancer and heart disease Credit: Cultura
Long term vegetarianism can lead to genetic mutations which raise the risk of heart disease and cancer, scientists have found.

Populations who have had a primarily vegetarian diet for generations were found to be far more likely to carry DNA which makes them susceptible to inflammation.

Scientists in the US believe that the mutation occured to make it easier for vegetarians to absorb essential fatty acids from plants.

But it has the knock-on effect of boosting the production of arachidonic acid, which is linked to inflammatory disease and cancer. When coupled with a diet high in vegetable oils - such as sunflower oil - the mutated gene quickly turns fatty acids into dangerous arachidonic acid.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 8.32.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 8.32.16 PM.png
    398.4 KB · Views: 116
  • Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 8.52.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 8.52.10 PM.png
    86.8 KB · Views: 118

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
nothing wrong w/ a few veggies & legumes; that being said, my nutritionist went vegan, & got so weak & pale that she went onto ingesting meat again-- i sure as chit would not not have meat-- we have canine teeth-- we're meant to ingest meat; & lets not get into anemia

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Veggies are meant as a side dish. The center portion of the plate shall be occupied by a 20 oz. Rib-Eye. :clap: