• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Obama's Notre Dame Visit

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
WASHINGTON — President Obama today ventures to America's foremost Roman Catholic university, where the country's deep divisions over abortion and stem-cell research have moved to the forefront in a time of war and recession.

A storm blew up immediately after the University of Notre Dame invited Obama to address today's commencement exercises. It still rages, with anti-abortion activists promising to disrupt the president's appearance, where he was to receive an honorary degree.

Students opposed to abortion rights were holding an all-night prayer vigil to protest Obama's visit. Earlier Saturday, more than 100 protesters gathered and 23 marched onto the campus. Police say they arrested 19 for trespassing and four were also charged with resisting law enforcement.

Obama supports abortion rights but says the procedure should be rare. At Notre Dame, he finds himself at the vortex of the abortion rights controversy that has riven U.S. society for decades.

Recriminations against Obama's appearance in South Bend, Ind., have echoed across the Internet, on cable television and newspaper editorial pages.

The Catholic Church and many other Christian denominations hold that abortion or the use of embryos for stem cell research amounts to the destruction of human life, is morally wrong and should be banned by law.

The contrary argument holds that women have the right to terminate any pregnancy and that unused embryos created outside the womb for couples who cannot otherwise conceive should be available for stem cell research. Such research holds the promise of finding treatments for some of mankind's most debilitating ailments.

Within weeks of taking office in January, Obama eased a Bush administration executive order that limited this research to a small number of stem-cell strains that existed when President George W. Bush issued his stem cell directive.

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said Obama in his commencement speech "obviously would make mention of the debate that's been had" over abortion, while emphasizing that "this is exactly the kind of give and take that is had on college campus all over the country."

Obama's appearance at Notre Dame would appear to be complicated by new polls that show Americans' attitudes on the issue have shifted toward the anti-abortion position.

A Gallup survey released Friday found that 51 percent of those questioned call themselves "pro-life" on the issue of abortion and 42 percent "pro-choice." This is the first time a majority of U.S. adults have identified themselves as "pro-life" since Gallup began asking this question in 1995.

Just a year ago, Gallup found that 50 percent termed themselves "pro-choice" while 44 percent described their beliefs as "pro-life."

A Pew Research Center survey found a similar, if less dramatic, shift, with public opinion about abortion more closely divided than it has been in several years.

Pew said its latest polling found that 28 percent said abortion should be legal in most cases while 18 percent said all cases. Forty-four percent of those surveyed were opposed to abortion in most or all cases.

Gallup said shifting opinions lay almost entirely with Republicans or independents who lean Republican, with opposition among those groups rising over the past year from 60 percent to 70 percent.

The abortion issue also is front and center as Obama considers potential nominees to fill the vacancy left by the retirement this summer of Justice David Souter. Abortion opponents are determined to see Roe vs. Wade overturned, but only four court justices out of nine have backed that position. Souter has opposed arguments for overturning the ruling.

The Rev. John Jenkins, Notre Dame's president, has not joined the debate that erupted after Obama's invitation. A leading Catholic scholar, citing the Obama invitation and honorary degree, declined the school's most prestigious award, making this year's commencement the first time that the Laetare Medal hasn't been given out since 1883.

"It is clear that Notre Dame didn't understand what it means to be Catholic when they issued this invitation," Cardinal Francis George of Chicago said after the university announced Obama's appearance.

Friends and colleagues say Jenkins has listened to the criticism, but is confident in his decision.

"He respects people who differ, but he's resolute in his decision because he did it based on conscience and what he really believes in," said Richard Notebaert, chairman of Notre Dame's board of trustees.

Notebaert said Jenkins, who is in the fourth year of a five-year term, has the "full support" of the trustees.

That hasn't soothed critics, who question whether Notre Dame has lost touch with its Catholic roots. Calls for Jenkins' ouster have grown louder amid protests by abortion opponents, who have flown pictures of aborted fetuses over campus and paraded dolls smeared in fake blood outside a recent trustees' meeting. Dozens of anti-abortion activists have been arrested, and more arrests were likely as protesters converge on the campus for commencement weekend.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationw...tre-dame18-2009may18,0,393256.story?track=rss

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KUBdrrbF6o"]YouTube - ND Response - Official Video[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jse_pjp64Cg"]YouTube - Shame, Shame on YOU, Notre Dame![/ame]

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/may/18/notre-dame-cheers-jeers-obama/?page=2

President urges 'open' dialogue on abortion at Catholic school.

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Engaging the culture war directly, President Obama made a plea Sunday at the University of Notre Dame for both sides to talk to each other with "open hearts, open minds, fair-minded words" on abortion and other fiery issues.

-Mr. Obama received a raucously enthusiastic greeting from graduates of America's leading Roman Catholic university even as protesters outside - and a few inside - vocally objected to his pro-choice views, which stand in contrast with Catholic teaching.

-In the run-up to the speech, the White House had said Mr. Obama would touch on abortion, but not dwell on it. The president spent five minutes of his 31-minute speech on the topic.

-"When we open our hearts and our minds to those who may not think like we do or believe what we do - thats when we discover at least the possibility of common ground," Mr. Obama said.

And he seemed to find plenty with his audience, which gave him a strong ovation when he talked about those who support embryonic stem-cell research because it may help find cures for diseases.

But they also applauded Father Jenkins when he said the Notre Dame community disagrees with Mr. Obama on the sanctity of life and on embryonic stem-cell research, which destroys fertilized embryos, an act the Catholic Church says is killing a person.

-In a nod to his hosts, Mr. Obama called for drafting of "a sensible conscience clause" - something Catholic hospitals desire to ensure they will not be forced to offer abortions or other services that violate their religion's teachings. Mr. Obama earlier this year reversed a rule President Bush issued as he left office that expanded a long-standing conscience-clause provision.

-The citation for the degree said Mr. Obama earned it because of his historic election and efforts to renew American diplomacy.

Of the other seven honorary degree recipients, only one received a standing ovation. Cindy Parseghian, daughter-in-law of legendary Notre Dame football coach Ara Parseghian, runs a foundation to find a cure for a rare, fatal genetic disorder that has claimed the lives of three of her four children.:smile:

So it appears in the end, the President left the campus today none the worse in the eyes of many, and that's not a bad thing.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not covered widely by the press (no big surprise that), the Bishop of South Bend-Ft Wayne who has dominion over the Notre Dame Campus actually boycotted the graduation ceremony and instead showed up at an on-campus anti-Obama rally :yum:

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/new.php?n=16023
Bishop D’Arcy speaks at Notre Dame

South Bend, Ind., May 17, 2009 / 04:18 pm (CNA).- Although he had initially planned to stay away from campus today as President Barack Obama was honored at Notre Dame, Bishop John D’Arcy of Fort Wayne-South Bend, Indiana changed his mind and spoke at a campus pro-life rally.

According to the Fort Wayne News Sentinel, the bishop spoke in front of 2,500 people protesting the university’s award to pro-abortion President Barack Obama.

Initially Bishop D’Arcy had planned to boycott the graduation festivities, however he decided to appear on campus due to the school’s pro-life undergraduates.

"It is certainly the place for the bishop to be here," D'Arcy said. "John D'Arcy's not important, but the office of bishop if very important and it must always be like Pope John Paul II to stand up for life all the time, everywhere without exception."

Last night the bishop began an all-night vigil for students and other pro-lifers on campus.​

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The news coverage I saw of the event showed that Obama did respond to the issue of abortion rather than shy away from it. The hecklers in the crowd were purposely drowned out by the graduating students cheers. Overall the event went well from what I saw (understanding that it was the MSM talking).

They did show the caps of a few protesting students, and the mini ceremony with Bishop John D’Arcy and the pro life students who boycotted the Obama speech & graduation ceremony. All appeared to be handled well. I liked that Obama did not shy away from the controversy but faced it head on.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I liked that Obama did not shy away from the controversy but faced it head on.

Now I only saw one piece or portion of his speech. It was his comment on abortion and that was it. From what I got out of it was that a women has to go through a real hard time making the decision to have an abortion or not and basically what ever she decides is right and he expected us all to accept her decision. Fill me in if different.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm just glad the whole thing didn't turn ugly, as it very well could have with the protests and such.

Those who stood up for their pro-life beliefs were cool.
Those who supported the President in the manner which they did came as somewhat of a surprise to me.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Not covered widely by the press

Nor was this, was it?

http://blogs.e-rockford.com/applesa...sent-to-obama-appearance-today-at-notre-dame/

If Pope Benedict XVI were opposed to President Obama’s appearance at today’s commencement exercises at the University of Notre Dame, wouldn’t he have said so?

But the pontiff HASN’T UTTERED A PEEP about the matter. The only word from Rome about Obama of late has been an ARTICLE in the Vatican newspaper that was generally favorable to the president.

Nor have most Catholic bishops or most of the American laity objected to Notre Dame inviting Obama to speak, although the dissenters have been noisily self-righteous.

I’ve argued all along that this controversy involves more than disagreement with Obama over abortion. Rather, it seems to have loosed pent-up enmities between the church’s left and right wings across a broad front of issues. The right seems especially eager to do battle — the better to purge so-called cafeteria Catholics from the ranks.

http://blogs.e-rockford.com/applesa...pointed-guardians-of-orthodoxy-at-notre-dame/

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I did not hear the whole speech either Murph, just the excerpts the MSM choose to share. I did get from those excerpts that the President suggested we use education to lower the rate of abortions. Abortions would still be allowed (of course) but with education and revamping adoption rules that the number of abortions could be lowered. Please note: All of this is paraphrased from what I heard in a news report.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nor have most Catholic bishops or most of the American laity objected to Notre Dame inviting Obama to speak, although the dissenters have been noisily self-righteous.
Well it is my understanding that a letter, signed by a majority of the Bishops, was sent to Fr Jenkins at Notre Dame objecting. Further it is my understanding that, in speaking for the USCCB (U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops), Cardinal George, the leader of the group, called it a 'scandal' for Notre Dame to honor Obama with a degree.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
It was cool in St Joe during this. There was one or two F18s circling around. We are around 45 miles from South Bend.

As for his comments - how does one find common ground on this issue.

To those that are pro life, abortion is murder. Murderers are demons. Can't stop demonizing those for pro choice.

How can a pro-choice person demonize someone that is for life? Demons generally do not value life highly.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Well it is my understanding that a letter, signed by a majority of the Bishops, was sent to Fr Jenkins at Notre Dame objecting. Further it is my understanding that, in speaking for the USCCB (U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops), Cardinal George, the leader of the group, called it a 'scandal' for Notre Dame to honor Obama with a degree.

It was a scandal Bob. I am not trying to argue that in the least, trust me.

Here-- you may find this interesting if you haven't come across it already.. pretty much sums up my thought on the matter.

Obama's Notre Dame Abortion Talk is Cheap—Let's See Some Action

May 18, 2009 10:51 AM ET
By John Aloysius Farrell, Thomas Jefferson Street blog

It is always praiseworthy when a president of the United States ventures onto potentially hostile turf. Presidents are elected to represent all Americans, not just the folks that voted for them—a fact they too often forget. Indeed, I would like to see Barack Obama spend some time in Alabama and Mississippi and Nebraska this term. The simple act of visiting says a lot to folks, on both sides of the partisan divide.

Obama's recent trips to Arizona State and Notre Dame, to speak at college commencements where he might expect to meet conservative disapproval, qualify as presidential outreach. So does his surprise appointment of Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman to be the U.S. ambassador to China. Good for the president. His speeches were, typically, well-crafted and well-received. And the Huntsman appointment succeeds on every level I can think of.

President Audacity needs to take the next step now. Words are important. So is the symbolism of a prominent appointment. But, in the end, talk is cheap.

Since Bill Clinton and Al Gore started talking about making abortion "legal, safe, and rare" back in the 1990s, the Democrats have done everything they can to keep the procedure safe and legal, and not much at all to make it rare.

With different wording, Obama used the same formula yesterday at Notre Dame. Hillary Clinton and Howard Dean have tried to defuse the abortion issue in recent years, with similar appeals and promises. "Let us work together to reduce the number of women seeking abortions. Let's reduce unintended pregnancies. Let's make adoption more available," Obama said at Notre Dame.

OK, Democrats. We hear you. It is indeed a laudable goal. And now it is time to show us you mean it. Make it happen.

It won't be easy. There are many competing fiscal demands, and insistent domestic and foreign emergencies. There is a sizable contingent of American women who may view such attempts (with historic justification) as a curtailment of their freedom. On the other side, there are anti-abortion activists and Catholic bishops who won't support a public policy that aims to merely manage and reduce what they perceive as a great evil, instead of ending it.

But Obama has this going for him: He connects with a new generation of voters who grew up with, and take for granted, the cultural liberties that their parents demanded and won. This new generation can examine these liberties with a distance that older cohorts, who fought so hard for them, cannot. Polls show, specifically, that younger voters have far more skepticism about abortion than their parents. Films like Juno and Knocked Up would have been scorned as reactionary indoctrination in past decades, but are popular, even with liberal elites, today.

I'm not talking about repealing Roe v. Wade. And I'm certainly not saying that Obama should put another conservative white guy on the Supreme Court.

But there are concrete steps, involving birth control and public education and adoption and prenatal counseling and maternal care, that can be taken by and with our younger generations (which, after all, are the ones making babies these days) that will actually make abortion rarer, if not yet rare.

Team Audacity needs to recognize that time is passing. Words should be followed by actions. Now.