Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Agriculture & DIY Forums > DIY Forums > DIY Insulation Forum

Old 10-05-2012, 11:20 AM
Wait for it.

Cowboy is a jewel in the roughCowboy is a jewel in the roughCowboy is a jewel in the roughCowboy is a jewel in the rough
Question Normal procedure for a garage ceiling.

Its been awhile since I have had to put up a celing in a garage and insulate it, if I remember right you use a faced insulation facing down against the sheetrock. Is that correct or can you use an unfaced fiberglass insulation?

The garage is 24'x32' & I am only replacing a 24'x 14' area of the ceiling. My other question is can you put either thin plastic or a vapor barrier on the bottom of the rafters first, then insulate it before putting the sheetrock up or would that possibly cause moisture on the sheetrock. ? BTW. The garage will be heated, and the attic has gable vents on both ends.

The reason I am asking is because I do all of my own work and would like to get the ceiling insulated now, I have been down in the back the last few weeks and might not be able to put the sheetrock up for a few more weeks. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Silver Member

Thanked 5,680 Times in 2,037 Posts
FrancSevin has a spectacular aura aboutFrancSevin has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Normal procedure for a garage ceiling.

Kraft paper down (fiber up) and stapled to the stringers is fine. A layer of plastic will work but it can allow moisture to collect. Paper won't.

A heated garage isn't a problem. An airconditioned one is. Condesation will form on the drywall if you use plastic. A good vented attic above will solve either.

Code says,,,,Use Fire rock if the garage is attached to the house.

At the very least use 5/8 "

Rent a lift cause that stuff is heavy.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Bronze Member

Garmins_Dad is on a distinguished road

Up here (alberta) the plastic goes between the drywall and studs. We never have issues with condensation in the winter months..
Old 10-05-2012, 01:41 PM
Master of Distraction

PBinWA will become famous soon enoughPBinWA will become famous soon enough
Style: VB_Original_Style

Alberta is going to be a lot dryer than Kansas. Southern humidity is a whole different animal.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

-Gerald Ford

Old 10-05-2012, 02:08 PM
Wait for it.

Cowboy is a jewel in the roughCowboy is a jewel in the roughCowboy is a jewel in the roughCowboy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancSevin View Post
Kraft paper down (fiber up) and stapled to the stringers is fine. A layer of plastic will work but it can allow moisture to collect. Paper won't.

A heated garage isn't a problem. An airconditioned one is. Condesation will form on the drywall if you use plastic. A good vented attic above will solve either.

Thanks Franc, I'll go with the kraft face and staple it real good that should hold it in place until I am able to get the rock up.

I plan on just regular 5/8 rock for the ceiling because its detached by 100 foot or so, also thats what the rest of the ceiling is. But I will definatly be renting a lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garmins_Dad View Post
Up here (alberta) the plastic goes between the drywall and studs. We never have issues with condensation in the winter months..
I have been reading up on it and several folks in your area say the same thing, but as PB pointed out the humidity here is brutal. Thanks for the reply though & BTW I never had a chance to welcome you to the forum, so Welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBinWA View Post
Alberta is going to be a lot dryer than Kansas. Southern humidity is a whole different animal.
Yep, very good point PB. Thanks again to all.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Bronze Member

BRGTold is on a distinguished road

Vapor barrier..(paper or plastic ) only on heated side..up if going in floor joist..(crawl space)...down in ceilings..any air in space ..floor or ceiling..will condensate..and cause problems..
Old 10-05-2012, 08:33 PM
Resident Prick

Thanked 10,006 Times in 3,898 Posts
TiredRetired has a spectacular aura aboutTiredRetired has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancSevin View Post

All good advise. Kraft paper on heated side in garage ceiling.

Code here likes double 1/2" sheetrock with staggered joints with first layer fire taped on garage walls that ajoin living space.

There is no such thing as light weight sheetrock. There is heavy and heavier.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Bronze Member

k-dog is on a distinguished road

As far as renting the lift, it was cheaper for me to buy one and work at my own pace then sell it and recoup some of the funds. I actually kept it since my brother is going to be dry walling his garage. I got the lift some where online cheaper than I could rent the lift for two days. And that was a lift to go up to 12' I think as my ceilings are a littl over 11 feet.