• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Still have to do the area around the firebox.

And grout.

But at least I’m done with the ladder for today!

Approx 12’ tall x 8’ wide

Attachments

• 781BEA1E-955C-4207-8F80-39B6083221BA.jpg
    781BEA1E-955C-4207-8F80-39B6083221BA.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 67

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm going to a human trafficking coalition meeting tomorrow. Both hospitals and other agencies in Council Bluffs, Iowa are involved because they help people who have been rescued from human traffickers. I've been handing out literature for them to truck stops, gas stations, police stations and other places because I'm retired and have the time.

I told my state rep he needs to be there tomorrow, as well as an employee from Senator Joni Ernst's office.

The meetings are very proactive so it is a pleasure to attend.

Can you post images of the brochure? Or a PDF file? I'd like to see too!

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Got up at 3am left the house at 4am drove 250 miles into the cabin. pulled the spring pipe, drained 1500 gallon tank and piping to the yard and cabin. Hit a dear driving home near deer creek. I came around a corner doing 50 there were 2 of them in the other lane, they started running as I was hitting the brakes one tried to run in front of me and I bumped him doing 15-20 mph it went down then got up and ran off and didn't even hurt the truck. Marty

Attachments

• IMG_0178.MOV
    837.2 KB · Views: 23

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Looks good. Sucks about the deer. I hit one last year. Cracked the plastic bumper cover on the old truck. I'd rather hit a deer than a moose though.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Been tres busy!
Finally got my bedroom, a vacuum cleaner, the excellent slow cooker that I wanted and a lady's toolbox lol
Ate at KFC and polished off half pint of Ben&Jerry's Phish Food.
It was wonderful having the day off.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Looks good. Sucks about the deer. I hit one last year. Cracked the plastic bumper cover on the old truck. I'd rather hit a deer than a moose though.

The deer here are not very big 150-200# and no Moose thankfully. Where I grew up in Mi. we had mule deer and white tail those would total your car. Marty

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
Can you post images of the brochure? Or a PDF file? I'd like to see too!

Here you go. One is a card (both sides) and the other is a poster that has tear off papers with phone numbers for help and/or assistance. As you can see, they are compliments of the Rotary Club, so they may have them locally with local phone numbers. I hope this helps.

Human Trafficking 1.jpg

Human Trafficking 2.jpg

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
Indeed.
Speaking of, I haven't been to mass for a few weeks now.
Eeek!
Not to sound superstitious or silly, but God deserves my thanks both in His house and out.

Maybe He'll forgive me because I'm busy taking care of the elderly and getting my life in the right direction.

I'm sure you are doing the right things and God will understand.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm sure you are doing the right things and God will understand.

I believe I am, Lenny.
There is that thing in life all about how we operate in order to not block the potential blessings.
I can say I've been truly blessed with guidance.

So... today I'm doing the 2-10p gig.
The family are doing well, the grandies are perfect.
That makes me happy.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Went hunting this morning. Found some mud. Didn't get stuck. That's a good thing.
07ed001b7a66e9d762bd6a4a9e5cf18b.jpg
3f3782f3d515cf49a9cf86ea7c429022.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dentist for the repair of 2 cracked fillings ... no waiting!!!

TSC for mouse traps because the little pests are coming in from the fields and woods as the temps drop.

Home for lunch before fencing practice. Then practice got cancelled so I did some more work on the fireplace. Only 8 more big pieces to go. But each has to be epoxied into place. 4 will require a simple cut, 4 are actually full size. There are two pieces approx 14”x7.75” that need to be cut, fitted and set. After that there is some detail work to do. Install some tile corbels, then grout (or visa versa?) The end is in sight!

Attachments

• 407F7A2C-85B7-4479-B3C4-5D4E7D6FE92B.jpg
    407F7A2C-85B7-4479-B3C4-5D4E7D6FE92B.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 104

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Got going on the motor installation around 9am. The fat lady sang around 3pm still have to modify the throttle cable bracket tomorrow and test drive. Marty

Attachments

• IMG_0182.MOV
    1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0183.MOV
    927.2 KB · Views: 22

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I know. It's heavy. Must be a big moose to have that. First time I ever found an antler out in the woods. I did a quick search and discovered that moose antlers similar to this sell for $150-500. I have no intention of selling it.

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
The weather turned 'crappy' (synonym for 'shitty') today, so going to the city (I moved from Council Bluffs, Iowa to Avoca, Iowa) to do some shopping and have lunch with a couple of buddies.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
The weather turned 'crappy' (synonym for 'shitty') today, so going to the city (I moved from Council Bluffs, Iowa to Avoca, Iowa) to do some shopping and have lunch with a couple of buddies.

It's crappy here too, Lenny.
Rain all day they say.

I've got an estate sale to go to again to hopefully get a small kitchen table and chairs.
Another wonderful find!
It's in Swanton. I haven't been there in years.
Then I have to contact my friend to arrange a good time for her to follow me because she has a van to transport them to my apartment.
The guy said he'd deliver them for a hefty fee.
Julie said to hell with that, I'll do it for free.
Lol
I've got a bit more running around to do as well.
I'm super busy these days when I'm not working.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh. Check out the rack I found while out hunting. I did get a couple birds.
7f0f28cf3194b2206f4e6ef04cae7994.jpg

Don't even have to make this stuff up.

:clap: https://www.wearethemighty.com/history/soviet-moose-cavalry-wwii?rebelltitem=2#rebelltitem2 :clap:

The Soviet Moose Cavalry almost rode into World War II
Blake StilwellOct. 09, 2019 10:44AM EST

At the Battle of Krojanty in the early days of World War II, Polish cavalrymen famously charged a Nazi mechanized infantry unit, disbursing them and allowing an orderly retreat for other Polish units in the area. It was one of the last-ever cavalry charges, and perhaps the last truly successful one. But cavalry was still very much on the minds of some Soviet war planners – especially in the brutal fighting the Red Army saw in Finland.

Anyone who's ever seen a moose in person, especially in the wild, knows just how huge and intimidating these creatures can be. Imagine how large and intimidating a giant moose could be while charging at you at full gallop – some Soviet leader did. And the USSR briefly imagined how useful the moose could be in the deep snows of Finland.

"Ask any local," one moose farmer told the BBC, "and he will tell you that a tree is the safest place to be when you are facing an angry elk."

Near Nizhny Novgorod, the Soviets started a farm to domesticate moose for that purpose. But they soon found – as Charles XI of Sweden did – that moose aren't big fans of gunfire. They tend to run the other direction.

But the moose had been used for centuries in Scandinavia as transport animals. After all, horses weren't native to the region, but moose were. They proved to be too much effort for the Swedish military to handle though. Moose are more susceptible to disease and harder to feed, for one.

The Soviets decided that the moose they attempted to domesticate for milk would serve another purpose, using them as transportation and pack animals. They even thought the moose could be used as a meat animal – after all, much of the Soviet population was starving. The effort to train them for milk was relatively successful, but the effort to use them for meat wasn't. Just as moose are too smart to run toward gunfire, they are also too smart to be led to a slaughterhouse.​

Attachments

• img.jpg
    img.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 81

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Since it's been pouring rain coupled with the fact that my legs decided they aren't working, I declared today a day of rest.

Normally I can walk fine during the day but use a cane for support incase my legs give out. That usually lasts until the evening when my thighs say F it and tense up. I then have to use a walker around the house to move around.

Today, I barely made it from the bed to the bathroom 20 feet away when my legs gave out. Nerve damage sucks. I've been pretty chair bound and useless all day.

Hopefully I can get around in a couple hours as the kids get home from school and one of us has to drive the oldest boy to his job 10 miles away. It'll be nice when he turns 16 and goes for his license. Although we have graduated licensing up here requiring new drivers to drive a year with another licensed driver in the vehicle. The second year, they can drive alone but not at night or on major divided highways. By the time they are 18, they have their full license. When I got mine, it was different. I wrote a beginner's test one month, then took a road test the following month and got my full license.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
That table and chair set was beautiful, but the guy wanted way too much for them, especially since the table was scratched and one of the chair legs had a crack running the length of it.
I don't care if it was "charming and worn"..
So, I'll get what I need elsewhere.

Got the window rod and valance hung.
Love it, really makes the room pop!
Just need to get some things for the walls, then.. finis!

20191011_165832-768x768.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Business meeting this morning.

Trip to the bank to figure out how to open a checking account for a non-profit organization.

Then home to work on tile. Seems like working on tile has become my life. But there was more progress.

Never used 2 part epoxy to adhere tile to metal before but that was today's project. It worked. It stinks too. But the smell vanishes after the epoxy cures. A bit of a PITA to work with on a smooth metal finish, figured out that its best to let is start to harden before sticking the tile pieces up on the metal. Then holding it in place. Then securing it with masking tape until the epoxy has cured.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
First major regional fencing tournament of the year is today at Northwestern University on the north side of Chicago. Heading up there mid-morning. One of my saber girls from high school is competing as a college sophomore. One of my epee boys and one of my saber boys from another high school is also competing, both will be among the youngest competitors as this competition is mostly college aged fencers.

Of course, I've already set more tile this morning. The last of the last of it. So now it will be GROUTING the fireplace. I hate grouting.

Attachments

• xrC1grjLTn6%k9zp+Hk9vg.jpg
    xrC1grjLTn6%k9zp+Hk9vg.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 69
  • fullsizeoutput_718a.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_718a.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 65

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Got up this morning and brrrr!
Very brisk out there.

Nothing to say except this is my weekend to work.
Tomorrow is a 12 hr day.
:bonk:

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
Since it's been pouring rain coupled with the fact that my legs decided they aren't working, I declared today a day of rest.

Does the rain and cold weather worsen your condition?

On my end, arthritis kicked into my 72 year old body last Fall and that really messed up my exercise routine.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes. I can feel a change in the weather for 3 days in advance before it actually hits. Today is a mixture of rain and snow. The worst weather for me.

I just came from standing outside for an hour handing out apples and collecting donations for the scouts. Rushed back home to drive my son to work. This afternoon I have to head back to the city to play music at the church.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Hi all, yesterday morning I took the old dodge for a test drive. Everything was good until I went down a steep hill and all of a sudden oil smoke off the headers. I turned around and could see an oil trail. Back at home no leak?? cleaned up the mess on the frame etc. started the engine no leak reved it up no leak. Took it for another drive, same thing. When I got home and cleaned it up again. and added oil. After some head scratching and looking I figured out what happened. The 8 quart pan fits both the LA motor as well as the magnum. I used the 1 piece magnum style oil pan gasket. The oil seals for the LA are held in place with a tab that the pan has a corresponding pocket with a hole in it. The magnum gasket is flat so there was about a 1/8" gap at the end of the pan on both sides at the timing cover. I cleaned it with acetone and added some RTV ultra black and packed it in the void and out the retaining holes. Let it sit all day and night. Today no leaks. I put the hood on filled it with gas and drove the shit out of it up and down hills. All good brought it home and cleaned it up. I am happy its done and all new but it set me back on some other projects. Marty

Attachments

• IMG_0184.jpg
    IMG_0184.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 67

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Took the wife to the airport she went to visit her sister for 3 weeks, Me and dads little boy are free men for at least 2 weeks then I will have to clean the place back up before she comes home and kicks my ass. Marty

Status
Not open for further replies.