Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Snow Trac ST4, Kristi, Thiokol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier & Other Snowcat Discussions > Snowcat Repairs, Parts & Problems Forum

Snowcat Repairs, Parts & Problems Forum Snowcat Repairs, Parts Inquiries, Sources, Problems & Advice

Old 03-04-2018, 01:42 PM

lorner is on a distinguished road
Default j5 advice

not sure if this thread is in the right place, but here goes. looking at purchasing a bombardier j5 and have a few questions. well, a lot of questions, but will start with a few. is there any known weak spots on the j5 that I should check into? did they come with hydraulics, or was that all added on to them by the owners? was there some model years better then others? planning on using it in the bush to help keep trapline trails open. is the machine strong enough to be used to push some willows over with a blade? any advice would be great! thx
Old 03-05-2018, 06:42 PM
Bronze Member

J5 Bombardier is on a distinguished road
Default Re: j5 advice

Welcome to the forum, and your search for a J5. Doing a search will turn up lots of past projects and answers on these great machines.
Lots of mods can happen to these 50 year old machines , so hydraulics, blades and winches can all be had. I would avoid a small wheel bearing machine as they are the first ones , the axles are delicate , unless the price was right. Great machines, but showing their age, so be prepared to get your hands dirty to keep them going.
Regards J5 Bombardier
The Following User Says Thank You to J5 Bombardier For This Useful Post:
lorner (03-06-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 11:20 PM
Bronze Member

snowcatt is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum.
J5s are tough they’ll go over trees never mind willows.theres lots of them around
And in all kinds of conditions. Make sure you have someone go with you that knows what to look for so you don’t end up with a money pit
Have you considered a sw48 there narrow and also made to go through lots of crap
Have fun
Old 03-06-2018, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J5 Bombardier View Post
Welcome to the forum, and your search for a J5. Doing a search will turn up lots of past projects and answers on these great machines.
Lots of mods can happen to these 50 year old machines , so hydraulics, blades and winches can all be had. I would avoid a small wheel bearing machine as they are the first ones , the axles are delicate , unless the price was right. Great machines, but showing their age, so be prepared to get your hands dirty to keep them going.
Regards J5 Bombardier
is there a way to identify a "small wheel bearing machine" from say a larger wheel bearing machine without tearing it apart? asking this for when I get to take a look at a j5 that may be for sale. and how do I identify the year of the machine? did they come with hydraulics from factory?

Last edited by jim slagle; 03-06-2018 at 06:51 AM. Reason: did it wrong
Old 03-06-2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcatt View Post
Welcome to the forum.
J5s are tough they’ll go over trees never mind willows.theres lots of them around
And in all kinds of conditions. Make sure you have someone go with you that knows what to look for so you don’t end up with a money pit
Have you considered a sw48 there narrow and also made to go through lots of crap
Have fun
I have considered a sw48, but was told that they can be more tippy on uneven terrain, so I was thinking of steering clear of them.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:06 AM
Bronze Member

J5 Bombardier is on a distinguished road

Do a search on this forum for Bombardier J5 1959 , you will see the axle size difference. Year of the machine, possibly a tag on the driver's backrest, but probably long gone. Factory hyd usually a small pump to run a blade, but can't say I have seen one myself, usually end up putting one on. Either way there are tons of J5 threads on this forum that cover pretty well everything.
J5 Bombardier
The Following User Says Thank You to J5 Bombardier For This Useful Post:
lorner (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 11:39 PM
Bronze Member

IMP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorner View Post
I have considered a sw48, but was told that they can be more tippy on uneven terrain, so I was thinking of steering clear of them.
That's good info to steer clear of small axle J5's. They are older and have a light duty tub. I also agree with staying away from SW48's. Narrower track/Tippy and I heard the tub bottom is very thick to add weight for ground pressure/traction for snow plowing. You don't need any of that in the woods. J5's are built for what you plan to do. Great machines and very simple and dependable. It's worth paying for one in good shape if you find one. The cost of parts really adds up quick buying from Prinoth or private used parts dealers. Better to buy 2ea J5"s if you think you need lots of parts. The J5 you want has the 3" wheel hubs
not the smaller 1.5 or 2" wheel hubs, look at the photos you can tell easy. Also look at the walking beams, if someone didn t maintain the bearings they get wallowed out. Check the suspensions links, They get wallowed out. Look at the tub bottom, you can tell what kind of life it has lived by how beat up or rock damage it's seen. shake the driveshaft and look for excessive movement of the transmission shaft. Do a compression check. Check the steering, good/bad/noise?.
And the track condition is huge! It's not a minor job replacing the track belting. When buying a 50+ year old peice of equipment plan on taking it all apart and go through everything. then you know what you got. Search my thread for photos of all this "Alaska J5 restoration" by IMP. Good Luck! and post photos!! Small axle J5 top photo, large axle bottom photo
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2018, 02:55 PM

Suzie is on a distinguished road

I am looking for a parts manual for a Bombardier J-5 1957.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:17 AM
Bronze Member

nikos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
I am looking for a parts manual for a Bombardier J-5 1957.
http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=29816

Nikos

Tags
bombardier, bombardier j5