• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

first outing of an old tucker

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
we got out the 1949 Tucker today, it had been in storage for over 50 years, ran quite nicely, plan to leave the machine in unrestored original condition and was Scott's first time ever driving an early machine.

Attachments

• DSC_0066.jpg
    DSC_0066.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 547
  • DSC_0041.jpg
    DSC_0041.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 547
  • DSC_0077.jpg
    DSC_0077.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 542
  • DSC_0046.jpg
    DSC_0046.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 545
  • DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 544

jask

She looks great! Nice to see a veteran machine being used. Do you have any under hood or not interior pics you could post?

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
:clap: Nice to see an old girl like that out in the snow. Amazing shape for the age! I've seen machines half its age look twice as old.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
ABSOLUTELY AWESOME

I would love to hear more about that machine, detailed photos, etc!

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Very Cool. Amazing condition for 65 years old! It's nice that this has machine has been left alone and stored as opposed to being left to rot and parts scavenged, vandalized, etc.. Major Kudos for your custodianship.

Thank you for sharing the photos.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
this tucker came out of northern california, plumas county, it was sold new there and resold in 1953 to the sargent family in the same county, and remained there till i purchased the tucker, it is the 107 th machine built by tucker, model number 321. the only changes made to it, was the replacement fiberglass skis and the exhaust system, runs really well will solid oil pressure. the plan is to keep it in original condition as a preservation survivor.
scott and i were up at timberline lodge, mt hood, oregon, a very special thank to timberline and jeff k. for letting us run the tucker at the ski area.

NorCal

That looks like a fantastic day in one very cool old Tucker!! I'm from Plumas county do you remember which town it lived in? I found my 49 Tucker here also....maybe there is a stash of them:unsure:
Thanks for posting!!
Chris

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
No doors for the 320's / 420's. (Wonder where the 321 designation came from???) The cool thing about this one is it has a roof! Most had none or just a canvas cover.

This one almost looks like the top and rear from a Kitten were grafted onto the body at the factory.

Sno-Surfer

Great shots. I was going to ask how you got to run it around Timberline. I was across the valley at Lookout Mt with my Snow Trac the same day. Really nice up there right now. I've actually been out twice this week taking the kids after school.
Great snow and weather this week.
Where does that Tucker live? Lots of great places to take that thing around here right now.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
More first outing. And yes it steers kind of strange. The skis have skegs on the bottom which help a lot in the turns.

Attachments

• DSCN1835.jpg
    DSCN1835.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 491
  • DSCN1832.jpg
    DSCN1832.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 498
  • DSCN1829.jpg
    DSCN1829.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 501

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
thanks for all the interest in the old tucker, i will try to answer all your questions, first, the model 321, the 1 refers to the hardtop, they did not have doors/side windows, the second owner, who brought it in '53, was the Sargent family ( Mt House resort ) of Plumas county Ca. We were able to run up at timberline ski area because scott and his father has had a relationship with timberline since the mid 50's, and Jeff K was kind enough to let us run the tucker the other day.

Attachments

• DSC_0013.jpg
    DSC_0013.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 470
  • DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 465
  • DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 467
  • DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 466
  • DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 440
  • DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 474
  • DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 482
  • DSC_0014.jpg
    DSC_0014.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 466
  • DSC_0018.jpg
    DSC_0018.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 479
  • DSC_0017.jpg
    DSC_0017.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 472

jask

Thanks for the pictures, I am glad it found such a great home! I am guessing the motor runs better now the plugs are firing in the right order :)
How are the bottoms of the pontoons? everything else looks so good I am assuming it was in a barn most of its life. Were the hoops on the back part of the original Tucker rear top or was it all home-built?

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
yup, runs great!

the entire body is original from the factory in '49, the logo on the back of the cab is hand painted and was done at the factory.

bottoms of the pontoons are in good condition, i did do a complete service of the tracks and they work smoothly now.

jask

Good to hear! The hoop I was referring to was the frame of the box "roof" that was pictured on it in the craigslist ad... the roofline and sidepanels looked wrong in that picture but the rear frame hoop and receivers looked like they might have been the remains of an original canvas box canopy?

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
oh, the old canopy was home made, including the hoops, and was the first thing that came off when i got it home and started to clean it up. still pretty amazing to have found the tucker on craigslist. working on getting all the history together. interesting so far.

Last edited:

Helmsman38

Member Formerly Known As Kristi KT7
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey that's a cool ride ! Great fun seeing it in the photos out playing Will you have it out again this April ?

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Lots of snow left in the bighorns!!!! Over 90in pack left up north come one come all.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice! So you are the proud owner of three of the these? Pretty neat getting to run it on Mt. Hood!
I don't suppose you would like to hook up with the owner of either #1 or #2 of these? When I last visited Cook's, in Vermont, The younger Cook, Bill?, showed me either Serial number 2 of serial number 1. They had plans of restoring it, and it was pretty healthy and stored inside...... Just a thought.
Nice,... Real Nice!

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
yup, that would be great to meet up and exchange stories about this style of tucker, as part of putting together some history, we are working with tucker inc. to identify how many of this style and the serial numbers, so with that said, anyone who owns a 321 and or torpedo feel free to contact, me trade stories, photos and info.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
had another kind of outing today, hauled home a couple more of tuckers, looking forward to cleaning up the '53 and have it up and running in the next few weeks

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 331
  • DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 328
  • DSC_0014.jpg
    DSC_0014.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 331
  • DSC_0019.jpg
    DSC_0019.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 330

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
What is the Big Tucker being stored on top of?, Is it a 443 or a 'Freightliner'?
A VW bus hiding in the background? What year is that? There probably have not been that meany 123's assembled together in one place since they were manufactured! Nice collection! I approve.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
If my memory is correct a few years ago Bill Guthrie was selling several rare Tuckers from a private collection. I don't have clue where they went, but the buyer(s) would likely find this thread interesting and could probably contribute to the dialogue.

Each of these machines has "a story" and I find those stories very intriguing.