• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Wife wants remaining carpet gone. How is bamboo?

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Due to rather obvious circumstances, I will not be doing the wood in the most expensive oak made for the rest of the rooms and I'll obviously be the carpenter. I've found that wood floors really are not cold like stone or tile floors and look quite inviting in a home.

I think I'd like to see if a darker colored bamboo would work out okay. Anyone have any experience with such? At the current time, the oak I have used so far in our house is well over $10 a sq ft. and would have to be special ordered. I told her it's just flat out of the question. That's just for the oak itself; no underlayment or labor for installation. Thoughts on bamboo?

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
IMHO Bamboo can be a very beautiful floor, and I have looked at it before. The only problem I have with it is it's too damn expensive for what you get. It's a grass for crying out loud and it grows at up to a foot a day! It's not like it's old growth hardwood or something.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Oh....unless she gets laser removal, the carpet will keep coming back anyway. :yum:

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
we gave less than $3 a square foot for our bamboo flooring.
I used a harbor freight cleat nailer w/variable shoe plate and had no problems, other than the nailer died about 2/3 of the way through the job -- walked into the store, told them it died, and they handed me a new one, no other questions asked.

If you have one close, Lumber Liquidators will price match web sales and if you pick up the flooring at the warehouse, they don't charge shipping.
ours is medium carbonized, vertical laminated, 15 year warranty prefinished bamboo.
the 85 pound dog has left dents in the surface, but has not scratched the aluminum oxide finish in over 2 years. (so in my experience, so far it's been as durable as oak)

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Bamboo just does not work for me . It seems like the latest fad idea and I don't do fads . We looked hard at Bamboo but honestly I just don't get it . I do like a little contrast in my woods . We went with Australian Cypress. I love the knots and grain of the wood .

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Due to rather obvious circumstances, I will not be doing the wood in the most expensive oak made for the rest of the rooms and I'll obviously be the carpenter. I've found that wood floors really are not cold like stone or tile floors and look quite inviting in a home.

I think I'd like to see if a darker colored bamboo would work out okay. Anyone have any experience with such? At the current time, the oak I have used so far in our house is well over $10 a sq ft. and would have to be special ordered. I told her it's just flat out of the question. That's just for the oak itself; no underlayment or labor for installation. Thoughts on bamboo?
Must be something in the air Dargo, I just spent the last 3 days ripping out all of our carpet, padding & tack strips & some kind of friggen adhesive someone put down to make sure it was damn near imposible to remove . :hammer:

I would be interested in knowing what you end up going with as I haven't even done any research yet & now have bare floors. :doh:

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
Bamboo just does not work for me . It seems like the latest fad idea and I don't do fads . We looked hard at Bamboo but honestly I just don't get it . I do like a little contrast in my woods . We went with Australian Cypress. I love the knots and grain of the wood .
I loved the look of aussie cypress, but hated the price.
found out the cheaper bamboo had more variegation than the expensive stuff.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think Al nailed it. It depends on what you like. Bamboo has more in common with laminated plastic flooring than wood, but that does not necessarily make it bad. I'd go with what I like that fits my budget.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I think Al nailed it. It depends on what you like. Bamboo has more in common with laminated plastic flooring than wood, but that does not necessarily make it bad. I'd go with what I like that fits my budget.

I did that when we first built the house. That's why I've been going around replacing all the vinyl and carpet with high quality oak, stone and ceramic. To me, the cheap tinny plastic floors look exactly like what they are. I don't plan on doing this again. This is one type we looked into bamboo floor. Here is another darker bamboo flooring

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
You don't have a lumber liquidators neer you? i got 3/4" solid oak for $2.14 sq ft....
paid $320 for a flooring nailer and some cleat nails and was on my way. not that bamboo is bad,but it sure looks different ... p.s. if you need a flooring nailer cheep pm me:wink: