• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Insurance is a sticky confusing subject

rico304

The strangest thing about starting a small business is the insurance.
example,
My buddy is a Master Electrician and runs his business full time year round. His insurance is 1/3 of what I was charged for starting up a small tractor business. (only bush hogging, rototilling, moving light materials around and york raking.) No real digging or foundations.
I figured electrical would be a more dangerous thing. Mine stays fairly active for 5-6 months a year, while he works 12 months.
They (State Farm as well as others) wouldn't insure me if I did any digging with a backhoe or post hole digger. Even if I moved earth around with my FEL. I can see why some would be nervous about insuring a tractor, but to charge more than an electrical company seemed high. His limits were higher than what they were quoting me too.
Anyone else run into this?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Les, I think it might be a liabilty issue that is causing the charges. An electrician probably is licensed or at least goest through an apprentisship program in most every state (and probably both). But anyone with a few bucks can trailer a tractor around and call himself a landscaper, it is a very loosely regulated profession. And while I know you do this part time, and while I know you are a responsible donut loving Police Officer full time (or are those Power Rings?), you are competing with folks who may be far less careful. The garden center I use will not even bring a tree out to plant unless the property owner calls for a "utility locate" from the locator service here in Indiana. I'm only guessing, but I'd guess that most people are willing to dig a hole based on what the property owner "thinks" is a safe location?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
:whistle: It was a special gift. :whistle: I'm not sure who did that? :moon:

rico304

B_Skurka said:
Les, I think it might be a liabilty issue that is causing the charges. An electrician probably is licensed or at least goest through an apprentisship program in most every state (and probably both). But anyone with a few bucks can trailer a tractor around and call himself a landscaper, it is a very loosely regulated profession. And while I know you do this part time, and while I know you are a responsible donut loving Police Officer full time (or are those Power Rings?), you are competing with folks who may be far less careful. The garden center I use will not even bring a tree out to plant unless the property owner calls for a "utility locate" from the locator service here in Indiana. I'm only guessing, but I'd guess that most people are willing to dig a hole based on what the property owner "thinks" is a safe location?

Don't bring power rings into this! :punch: What did they ever do to you!!??
It does make sense about the license. Tough part is, they don't offer any form of license for tractor work. I wish they would to bring down some costs. The guy I work with has been working tractors since about 1982. While I may be a mess, he is pretty good.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BTW, if you can figure out how, you can actually change your own avatar!

But then, you rode the 'short bus' to school and need to have a dog as your partner to make sure you cross the street safely . . . so I suppose you are stuck with this one :yum: