• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New discovery could lead to cure for AIDS

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Regardless of how you got it, if you have it it is a deadly disease that wastes and devastates the body and the mind.

Scientists Make ?Exciting Discovery? That Could Lead to a ?Permanent Cure? for AIDS | Video | TheBlaze.com

For the first time, scientists have successfully cut HIV out from human cells, marking an advance that researchers on the project called a possible “game changer” for the disease that afflicts millions worldwide.

The researchers from Temple University found a way to eradicate HIV-1 genes, which inserts itself into an infected individual’s own DNA, permanently from human cells in culture. Here’s how they achieved it, according to the university’s news release:

When deployed, a combination of a DNA-snipping enzyme called a nuclease and a targeting strand of RNA called a guide RNA (gRNA) hunt down the viral genome and excise the HIV-1 DNA. From there, the cell’s gene repair machinery takes over, soldering the loose ends of the genome back together – resulting in virus-free cells.

Leni

If that is a cure it would be wonderful! I worked for the States Disability Insurance program which most states do not have. I remember when this terrible disease first began to appear. People said don't worry about it, it is a disease of gays. Kept telling them that it would get into the general population and it didn't matter if it was only gays. I saw people dying of it. Horrible.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Leni, I saw a relative die of it and it wasn't pretty. If this new discovery can cure it then fast track it in to production and let us put an end to this horror.

In many parts of the world, AIDS is a hetrosexual disease. When I worked in Nigeria which had HIV positive rate of 10% to 15% of the the population. That was the official figure but nobody had a clue what it was. Unofficially it could have been as high as 40%. And still expats, people I knew, would go out chasing Nigerian beauties. What the hell were they thinking. Well, obviously they weren't. It's not like most STD's which can be cured by a round of injections and a period of abstinence. As they say, "That shit'll kill ya".

Leni

Frank we saw way too many of these cases. At first the doctors would say night sweats, weight loss, cause unknown. After a while we read between the lines and knew that it was AIDS. It didn't take them long to die a horrible death.

Now people can live a very long time with the disease but they are on a huge number of medications. The disease has gone mainstream as I feared it would.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Let the corn holin' begin!

I wonder if the no-GMO lunatics have anything to say about this?