• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cleaning a rubber roof

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a second story porch off of my bedroom that has a rubber roof\deck. I want to put an outdoor area rug and some patio furniture on it, but I need to clean it first. It faces north, so after the winter, it accumulates a fungus on it since it doesn't get any sun in those months. Any recommendations for a rubber roof friendly fungicide\cleanser?

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Protect all?

First thing that pops up when googled "clean rubber roof".

But that's for EPDM roof. There are other types from years ago.

I would try to find out what the base material is and go from there??????

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
Protect all?

First thing that pops up when googled "clean rubber roof".

But that's for EPDM roof. There are other types from years ago.

I would try to find out what the base material is and go from there??????

Dunno what the material is exactly (put on by 2nd owners before me). But it is a rubber membrane.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I'd bet you could get a courtesy call from a local industrial roofer that sells rubber roofs, for the purpose if identifying the roof, and maybe even getting some guidance.

I'd be worried about using the wrong chemical/agent, and drying the roof out, causing it to fail. Could get expensive.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Most rubber roofs are EPDM. I would suggest using a power washer with a 40 degree or wider nozzle tip, and start out spraying about 18" away from the roof membrane itself to see if that removes the algae or fungus (most likely it's algae). Be careful if you are not familiar with using a power sprayer/washer, as they generate a high psi and can cut through rubber if you get too close. A mild dish washing detergent in a bucket of warm water with a soft bristle brush is another alternative if you don't have a power washer. Be certain to rinse very well to remove any soap residue.

The idea of contacting a commercial roofing company that installs EPDM material is the best starting point. I would not be putting anything on that roof that could puncture the membrane, as most EPDM roofs are not intended to be walked on. They will get soft just from the Summer heat, even if the sun does not shine directly on it. In commercial flat EPDM roofs, a ballast of small, round river rock is usually applied to keep the membrane from being lifted in high winds, and specialized walking materials are applied to pathways about the roof for servicing roof top equipment such as HVAC units and exhaust fans.

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
Most rubber roofs are EPDM. I would suggest using a power washer with a 40 degree or wider nozzle tip, and start out spraying about 18" away from the roof membrane itself to see if that removes the algae or fungus (most likely it's algae). Be careful if you are not familiar with using a power sprayer/washer, as they generate a high psi and can cut through rubber if you get too close. A mild dish washing detergent in a bucket of warm water with a soft bristle brush is another alternative if you don't have a power washer. Be certain to rinse very well to remove any soap residue.

The idea of contacting a commercial roofing company that installs EPDM material is the best starting point. I would not be putting anything on that roof that could puncture the membrane, as most EPDM roofs are not intended to be walked on. They will get soft just from the Summer heat, even if the sun does not shine directly on it. In commercial flat EPDM roofs, a ballast of small, round river rock is usually applied to keep the membrane from being lifted in high winds, and specialized walking materials are applied to pathways about the roof for servicing roof top equipment such as HVAC units and exhaust fans.

Thanks, JEV. The reason for the outdoor area rug is to protect the membrane. I just got off the phone with my roofer buddy, and he recommended Simple Green. I'm gonna try that with a soft brush and report back to y'all.:biggrin:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
A bleach solution will help to keep it from coming back so quickly. Good stiff brush and scrub and rinse.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Many RV's, 5th wheels and trailers, have rubber roofs. I'd check with my local RV dealer and see what they recommend and sell. As I remember it's a mild detergent solution and a soft brush. Hose it all down, no power washer, and it's good for another year or so.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
You can also buy roof protectors that are used on factory roofs for walkways-they glue down