• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Yes ,or no

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Is this an Urban legend ? 1....There were divers down by a local dam that were scared back to the surface by enormous Catfish .
2 .... A car was found (usually a corvette ) with a dead man in it . It was undamaged , yet the smell of the deceased couldn't be eliminated .

lilnixon

AKA LILVIXEN
GOLD Site Supporter
Is this an Urban legend ? 1....There were divers down by a local dam that were scared back to the surface by enormous Catfish .
2 .... A car was found (usually a corvette ) with a dead man in it . It was undamaged , yet the smell of the deceased couldn't be eliminated .

Yes.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I heard a similar about a catfish. A diver working on a bridge pier was standing on bottom working when the bottom started moving. The diver came to the top white as a ghost and told others of a cat fish he had been standing on ....that was bigger than he was. And the diver refused to go back down to finish the welding. I've seen some big catfish around here so I never doubted the story, but it does fit the urban legend type of legend.

I also heard of a corvette with the dead man odor ...but more prevalent was the guy who got a corvette for next to nothing .....the story is of an ad to sell a 10 or 15 year old corvair. Buyer goes to look and it's in the garage and had been there for years. It's a corvette not a corvair ...and the little old lady is selling it ridiculously cheap. I figure that story is urban legend for sure.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
I actually used to know a police diver who told me he wouldn't dive in the local reservoir anymore after a night search when he got to the bottom, turned on his light, and was looking at a catfish whose mouth was wider than his shoulders.
Yes, I believe catfish can get that big, no, I don't believe the other stories about fish big enough to block the outflow tubes with eyes the size of basketballs.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
#1 - Possible, even Likely
#2 - Probable Urban Legend only

I rate #1 as "Possible/Likely" as I personally watched a friend pull a cat out of the Mississippi that was 2 inches "taller" than me - and I was 6'2" then. This was back in the mid 60's, and was an accident; Jack had a new deep-sea rig he was learning to use and was fooling around with practice casts near the railroad bridge. His family was taking a vacation in Florida and he wanted to get a sailfish (or marlin, or whatever). When that cat hit his flasher we all thought he'd snagged a tree stump on the bottom - until the "stump" started moving to the right, which was upstream.

After an hour or so (no watches, we had been playing in the water) Jack got it up near the boat and we saw what he had. Un-bleeping-believable!! We had all heard of cats that big, but had never really believed it. Bernie got a few quick pictures and then the cat decided it had had enough and went for the bottom again; straightened a stainless steel hook and just disappeared.

At the time we thought we had a Big Story and rushed to get the pictures developed, but the story never happened. Everyone at the newspaper and TV stations thought we had faked the photos, and since the only ones who had seen the beastie were six teen-age boys it was written off as a hoax. The only ones who believed us were the divers who had recently inspected the bridge footings; they had seen several huge cats down there. When we asked them to corroborate our story they refused; they had never mentioned anything because one of their buddies did say something at another dive site, and was fired for being obviously drunk on the job.

But what we saw that day was a catfish (Channel Cat, I believe) that was at least six feet four inches in length, that had been laying alongside the concrete footings of the CB&Q railroad bridge. Bernie died in 'Nam and I don't know what happened to the pictures so there's no way to prove any of this. But I know what we all saw that day was a catfish, not an illusion or an Urban Legend.

Trakternut

Many species of fish grow to a size that's on par with the size of the body of water they inhabit as well as the food supply. Carp grow rather large in a lake, but, if you kept them in an aquarium, they'd probably stay at near-minnow size.

Don't you worry, DS, I believe your big fish story. Cats DO get large.

loboloco

#1 true.
#2 Entirely possible, depending on how long the body was in the car. As the body decomposes fluids would leak out into the carpeting and upholstery, making it nearly impossible to remove the 'death smell'.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Mythbusters checked out the deadbodyincorvette thing. They bought a Corvette (and then after they did, they told the PO why), killed a pig, stuffed it into the car, and left it out in the sun for quite a few weeks.

I think the thing smelled, no matter what they did. But I could be wrong, and I am too lazy to look it up.............

loboloco

This actually does happen in houses. While the smell will decrease over time, it takes a loooong time.

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
That is believable.

My Grandparents had a friend that worked on the ill-fated Auburn Dam site in N. Calif. This was in the 70's. Injun Joe(This was also before PC; he was Piute I believe) drove bull dozers on the dam construction site. They would divert the river, and then backfill the old channel.

When they backfilled the channels, they left numerous fish high and dry. I was 10 or 12 back then; I remember going to visit with my Mom and Grandparents; the catfish he brought home were HUGE.

Those old cats had probably been in deep pools on that American River for decades, just getting big.

I'm 6'2" tall; those fish were easily as long as I am tall.

It was funny;" What ya catch that with?"
"Oh, a D8 CAT..." :smile:

I rate #1 as "Possible/Likely" as I personally watched a friend pull a cat out of the Mississippi that was 2 inches "taller" than me - and I was 6'2" then.