• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Ram steer for 252

Thinice

Our club is looking for a ram steer unit for our 252. We also are concidering building one ourselves. Do any of you have info on building one? (cycl. size, stroke, etc...Perhaps even drawings/dimentions?)
If you know of one for sale I would be interested also.

On another note - muleman, thanx for the info on how to post pic's. However I did not have any luck yet doing so. My files must be to big to post. looking into the link on shrinking them.

Thx,

Thinice

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Our 252 has a Valley brand ram steer drag, and a Valley blade as well. Boggie at Minnisota outdoors can probably fix you up. A side note is that the Valley drag is quite heavy when folded and carried on the back of the 252. It is nice that it can carry it, as you can back out if you get it stuck. But it is quite a load and I have been told it is hard on the rear differential....We are on our second set of ring and pinion gears by the way...

We don't use the ram steer feature very much, only in road ditches and long nearly straight trails, like bike trails. Normally we set the valve for the ram steer in the float position and let it drag free to turn as needed.

I would talk to Boggie first, then decide what you should do.

Regards, Kirk

Thinice

Thx Kirk. I should have given more background in my original post. This 252 came w/Valley Blade and foldup Drag. We are getting rid of the foldup as we use a 8' Arrowhead Drag.
The Arrowhead is what we want a ram steer unit for.
Anyone here interested in the foldup before we pull the Hy and scrap the steel?

Thinice

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think I would investigate using the front ram steering portion of the valley drag as a new hitch for the arrowhead.....

I think ours could be so modified., with some work.

Regards, Kirk

Thinice

You read my mind. I was just out looking at it yesturday and thought the same thing. Weld a drop pintel hitch off the back of the turret. The only thing would be, can the cam follower brgs take the load. As the Arrowhead has a stiff hitch that always has some down pressure on it to keep the front of the drag up some, or alot depending on conditions or road crossings. The other option is to use the pintel already on the unit w/no ram steer and see how it goes. We traverse mostly Ag land that has been Disced smooth, and not really much if any twisties, definatly no switchbacks. Just a few 90's where we turn at the edge of a field. I do know that I want to refresh the Steering bands before this comming season ( already talked w/Boogie on relined bands) Just got to get a couple of Brat fry's under our belt this summer so we have the $$ to do so. The guys that sold us this 252 took really good care of it, gave us a boat load of extra parts, and shot us a good deal to boot. However even w/ all that we don't have much cash to throw around till we get some comming in.
Anyways, my thought is to keep the turret and Hydraulic's, for possibly building a ram steer ourselves someday and scrap the rest. Who knows, w/the flat Ag land we traverse here, ram steer maynot be needed. Time will tell.

Thinice

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hello thin ice.

Where in WI can your project be reviewed, I am (slowly) creating a ram steer for a bombi. up in the fox valley area.

Mike

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you take a peek over at the koz's I think there was some snow grooming ram steer drags for sale, I am in the North east and sadly the trailer is still empty...... The one in NY is spoken for.... :cool:))))

You can copy it if you want. giggle giggle.

I will be returning home later this week staying north the whole way, (unless of course someone paves over chicago before I get there) S.S. badger here I come.

Mike

Last edited: