• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1973 SV200 Differential Fluid?

snowbird

I checked the fluid level in my SV200 differential yesterday and was shocked to find the fluid came pouring out the check-level hole. I opened the drain underneath and sure enough...water!!!:sad:
1. Has there likely been damage to the differential?
2. Can I just add new fluid without taking off the top cover and cleaning the housing?
3. What caused that water and can I prevent it happening again?

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
1) likely not. The ski dozer I work on has had this problem. Mositure condenses inside the case. Change yearly to avoid this. Use a HTB tractor oil (hydrolic,transmission, brakes) like JD torque guard.

2)You likely could, but the top cover is easy to remove, and it will give you a chance to check out the brake bands for wear, and any other developing problems

3)Condensation happens the most with extreme temp changes. Maybe leave it outside a warm shop would reduce it somewhat. But it will always be there, in some amount. Changing the oil annually will help the most.

4) Would very much like to see you at the Okaboji winter games this year!

Regards, Kirk

snowbird

Tell me more about the games. (If I were to bring the SkiDozer, I'd need to purchase a tandem axle deck-over bumper hitch trailer.)
Thanks for the hints. :biggrin: The SV ran fine last winter, so I'm hoping I don't find any surprises under the cover.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
snowbird,

The Games are a geat time, and your machine would be a facination for most. Amall town out on the ice on the east end of west lake. Big tents with radiaent heaters with bars and music. Lots of RV's out there, Kybo's with I kid you not electric heat. Got to have a minimum standard here for the ladies...

No bull thousands of sleds, of all ages sizes and brands. Saw a rare Rupp nitro with the ski sponsons, and I have only seen a picture of them. Lots of roudy ness by the younger crowd. Got a blade on the front? may be if you were there early Friday you might get a chance to use it to clear snow off the ice. It was 24" deep in the camp area.

Broom ball on Saturday, ( nd numerous local events) Snowmobile drags on Sunday. The "big boys " show up for these well known sanctioned drag races. I missed this last year cause of poor planning.:sad::sad: (the wife wanted me home!):doh::flowers:
That will not happen this year. But with my mother's health I may have to waite and see. Sad times are here.

Best regards, kirk

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes,

It is the stuff for these controled brake differentials. We used a similar Caterpillar oil as well. Many companies offer it. The JD seems easy for most to get.

Regards, Kirk

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll PM you....with the dates

It is the third week in Jan. if memory serves me this morning.

Kirk