• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1404 differential oil

DWester

I know that this is a redundant question and I apologize for that, but after reading many post on this, I'm scratching my head more now than before I started. From what I've picked up, I think the differential I have is a C-4? The year I'm not sure of, other than in the manual it says 1969. Of all the oils mentioned, which will be the best for me?

cloudcap

GOLD Site Supporter
I've been using Shell Donex TC-30 based on Snowcat Pat's recommendations. So far it has been working pretty well for me.

FYI, here's a link to a previous post of mine describing my first foray into my Imp's differential.

Have fun.

Ron

DWester

Great thread Ron!! Just what I was looking for. Did this statement turn out to be true? "Once I've got everything exposed, how much do I tighten the bands? An earlier thread on Super Imps suggested that you should tighten the nut to 200 inch pounds and then back off a couple turns. Barring better advice, that's my plan." Or is that only on Super Imps?

cloudcap

GOLD Site Supporter
No. I only tightened the bands to where I had a small-ish amount of travel on the little levers on the top of the differential before they engaged. I know that's pretty vague, but I didn't want the bands to be too tight. The "200 inch pounds" approach sounds more precise and may actually be the proper way to do things, but I felt more comfortable winging it. So far it has worked OK.

Ron