• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Meniscus tear of the knee?

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Anyone here ever had this?

I think that I have done, and pretty good to.. Right now I am wishing I hadn't gotten out of bed this morning.:sad:

Right during harvest to add insult to injury.. Damn thing really hurts if I bend it much. If I keep it straight it doesn't hurt badly. I can even walk if I keep my leg straight.

I wish to know if you have had this condition, how did you deal with it, and long term how has it worked out?

This really sucks this time of year. :hammer:

Regards, Kirk

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Yep...both knees at the same time....For years folks have told me to stop jumping from high places....about 4 years ago I jumped from the roof of the garage....about 6 ft up...and as usual just flexed my knees...but that time...insted of flexing and going on my way.....my ass hit the ground and there I was....and could not walk....took surgery on both knees and spent a while on canes....and NO...it aint no fun!!!! You will find that it will be a while before you can kneel again!!! Be careful and take care of yourself!!!!:smile:

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Kirk 25+ years ago I had a half-moon shaped tear in the meniscus of my right knee. The meniscus folded back under itself. I could not bend my knee at all. The recommended treatment was arthroscopic surgery on it. They clipped out the flap. Like I said that was 25+ years ago and no real issues at all since then. I occasionally have a slight pain going up or down steps, but nothing serious.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a couple of tears that flip out every so often. The reality is that by the time they get you into surgery your knee will be feeling ok. Then they cut out or repair the flap and you have to spend the same amount of time recovering again.

Not the end of the world. You don't have to get them fixed (I stopped after my second) but they can be annoying when they decide to pop-out and misbehave. I have found that regular running actually keeps them pounded into place. ;)

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
When it happened there was a pop from the back side of the knee, and down I went. I was 30ft up walking up a steep grain bin roof when it happened. Good thing I was on roof cleats...

I sure was glad when I got to the ground. Now I am using an ice bag, 20 min. on and 20 min. off.

I hope by Monday I can get around. No time to waste.. Thankfully I have a lot of help on the weekends. Things are getting done, while I recover..

Regards, Kirk

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I do hope it was a moderate to minor tear.
Either way, you're going to be feeling it good for some time.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Done it before. Ended up hobbling around for close to a year in pain.

Now that doesn't sound good...

I was hoping that by Christmas time, I could be nearly pain free.

At my height, I gotta bend that knee right around to get to the clutch peddle in the Snow Trac. :sad:

For now nothing with a clutch. Combine and Grain cart tractor, can be run with out them... Except to start the tractor, I will have to hold down the clutch peddle. Right foot can do that..

Dang, aging gracefully isn't so graceful now isn't it? :whistling:

Regards, Kirk

deand1

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like it. I have done it many times, orothoscopic surgery many times also. You should see a orthopedic surgeon and have it evaluated. I have recovered within one month on most surgeries.

Umberto

Done it before. Ended up hobbling around for close to a year in pain.

Me, too. My right knee started last November and the pain excruciating. I dinked around with the three symvisk shots and they didn't work, then got a cortisone shot, at least this time it's not quite as bad as it was of the summer. X-rays didn't show anything, I was not happy with my doctor and went to the best ortho guy in Tacoma. He sent me in for a MRY and it showed the tear and how much cartilage was left in my knee. If he repairs it the knee will exacerbate quicker and would kneed a replacement sooner. I'll go with the shots. The left knee has been replaced and not ready to that again anytime soon. My advice is see a doctor, get a second opinion (orthopedic surgeon) and find out what their options are and what you are willing to put up with. That's my story.

I will say my left knee was replaced by the best surgeon in the army and have has no problems with it. He's moved on to Walter Reed, though.

Last edited:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It's been a week, and I am not suffering much at all. Had water on the knee for a few days, then the pain went away unless my toe is turned out some how.. Then I want to scream... But as long as I am careful no pain is the rule..

Will keep an eye on it, and take it easy for a few weeks. Pheasant hunting is open, and I will do some of that!:biggrin:

Regards, Kirk

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
After all those years in the trade, I've been able to keep my knees and hips in one piece. I've seen more then a few over the years that had their share of issues. I feel for you Kirk.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
After all those years in the trade, I've been able to keep my knees and hips in one piece. I've seen more then a few over the years that had their share of issues. I feel for you Kirk.
Agreed. I like keeping them in one place a swell. For me a bar stool comes to mind as the right place.

Kirk, that injury will heal fine. Try to avoid surgery. especially these days.
Get the harvest in first.

Wrap it well and keep it warm. But mostly take something to make the muscles relax.

I recommend,,, On a bar stool.

I know, I know,,,, it is hard to cut corn from there.

Umberto

Glad the knee is better. At least you will be slow walking up the birds. My bud in Tipton just text me and he got a drake mallard this morning and missed a hen, no pheasants.

I got a cortosone shot Friday and it's helped but wish they last longer than 3 months.