Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Snow Trac ST4, Kristi, Thiokol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier & Other Snowcat Discussions > Snowcat Restoration & Modification Projects Forum

Snowcat Restoration & Modification Projects Forum Major Restorations, Upgrades, and Non-Stock Snowcat Modifications

Old 12-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Bronze Member

berg is on a distinguished road
Default Some tucker driveline questions?

I am curious as to the drive train on a older tucker.

Am I correct thinking the tucker used a transfer case that splits the torque to front and rear?

Are the drive-lines locked or do they open carriers to make turning easier?

Axles look to be ford 9" ... since tuckers seem to be torque monsters do they ever bind up and break drive line- t-case or axles. Just seems there is so much contact with the ground/snow that somethings got to give under extreme load.

Curious to know and are the newer tuckers hydro or same old reliable platform?
Old 12-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Bronze Member

northerndave is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Some tucker driveline questions?

My t-case is a 1.65:1 (I believe), my axles are dana spicer 60's (like you'd find in the rear of pretty much sny 70's/80's 3/4 ton pickup)

I bevieve my differentials are open, my gears are 6.17:1 but I think most or many tuckers are geared at around 4.88, so mine is geared exceptionally low.

I'm regearing mine closer to 3.5 soon. (flatlander & minimal towing)
Old 12-27-2010, 09:17 PM
Bronze Member

Northcoast is on a distinguished road

My 1995 tucker 2000 has open differentials with front and rear locker option. Turning with the lockers is difficult,but I only activate them to get out of a hole,or steep uphill with deep snow. Usually the front locker is sufficient,since the weight of the blade supplies adequate wight.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:59 PM

muley180 is on a distinguished road

The "9 inch" looking axles are the early powerwagon removeable carrier type just like the 9 inch. I dont know the gearing on those even though I just sold a set from a 65 540A. My 1983 542A has the New Process 542L 5 spd with a 7:24 to 1 1st gear and a 1:1 5th. The transfer case is a Tucker unit with a reduction of 1:65 to 1. My Dana 60s have the much more liveable 4:88 to 1 and the front unit is "locked" from the factory. It is really a clutch type limited slip. Wow, 6:17 to one, no wonder you want to change the gearing. I don't blame you, thats really low. Best regards.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:14 AM
Bronze Member

I'm sure i could live with 4.88's

Even 4:11-ish would allow me to keep my stock carriers I believe? then I'd maybe have an easier job just swapping ring & pinion & maybe not so much shimming.

I need to read up on adjusting gear interface & bearing preload for dana 60's, I've never done one before.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:04 PM

muley180 is on a distinguished road

The Dana 60 is an integral carrier axle housing assembly so if you retain your original axle housing assemblies, you will be using the same carriers. I believe you are refering to the differential case which is the unit that the ring gear bolts to and has the carrier bearings pressed to to both ends. I've done a few 60s but not enough to remember the cut off point for differential cases. For example; a Dana 44 has a differential case for 3.90 and below and a different case for 3.92 and up. It will be easy to find out. The lower the ratio the thicker the ring gear and the smaller the pinion will be therefore the need for different differential cases. In all the gear changes i've done I have only replaced 1 ring and pinion set that did not need adjustment so be prepared to do a complete set up. I like your idea of 4.11s. I think with the right transmission they would work well. I actually got mine up to 6 mph in 5th gear according to my gps. I personally won't be trying to go any faster because of the increased wear and tear on my steel tracks. Makes me wish I had the rubber tracks. Hope it all works out well for you.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:36 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks, yeah I think the change is at around 4.11 and up for dana 60. I know that 4.56 and down is a different case from say a 3.54, just not sure where the change is exactly.

With the 6.17's in 5th gear I can run 8 mph (gps) comfortably, 10 is more than you'd want to spin the motor for a sustained amount of time and 12 mph would be tops and you just wouldn't spin your engine that fast, wouldn't want to.

My rubber tracks seem perfectly happy at 12MPH, I'm hoping with a gear swap to achieve 15-ish at my current 8mph rpm with a top speed of say... 20.

4.56:1 would be a simple ring & pinion change for me with my existing ring & pinion carriers.

I may have found a 3.54 gear & carrier set for front and rear axles too though, we'll see (that may be a bit much)

Of course I dont have to always use all 5 of those gears either.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Bronze Member

Blackfoot Tucker is on a distinguished road

My understanding is the part to which the ring gear bolts is called a "carrier" and Dana 60's use two different carriers, depending on ring and pinion ratio. The switchover is 4.10 and down.

Here's a link to a very detailed breakdown on Dana 60 front axles. (There's good info for rear axle applications, too.) http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/60_front/