• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Villi's Snow Trac Tools

villi

this is very useful tool in Snow Trac

Attachments

• lifta7.jpg
    lifta7.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 755
  • lifta3.jpg
    lifta3.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 736
  • lifta6.jpg
    lifta6.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 743

villi

Re: Snow-Trac from Iceland

pics

Attachments

• lifta1.jpg
    lifta1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 734
  • lifta2.jpg
    lifta2.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 748
  • lifta4.jpg
    lifta4.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 733

villi

orginal tools in Snow Trac

Attachments

• verkfæri.jpg
    verkfæri.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 739

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Villi, did you make that tool? Is it used for changing the bogey wheels? Or is it something to do with adjusting the tracks?

In your LAST photo you show the ORIGINAL tools. One looks like a crank to start the engine. What are the other pieces?

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I also have those tools and another one (No boggie tool though). I do not know what they all are for. The one with the spark plug by it is of course a spark plug wrench from Activ. The rest I dont know yet.

Attachments

• Snow Trac tools unknown.jpg
    Snow Trac tools unknown.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 718

villi

Hi Bob
old Snow Trac operator did make this tool for changing the bogey wheels.
And the other orginal tools see pics.
B_Skurka said:
Villi, did you make that tool? Is it used for changing the bogey wheels? Or is it something to do with adjusting the tracks?

In your LAST photo you show the ORIGINAL tools. One looks like a crank to start the engine. What are the other pieces?

Attachments

• lykill1.jpg
    lykill1.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 715
  • lykill2.jpg
    lykill2.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 706
  • sveif.jpg
    sveif.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 703

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Villi,

Could we impose upon you for some help? Please measure your bogie wheel changing tool and post the measurments. I'd like to make up a couple of those tools but need the sizes.

Thanks,
Bob

villi what a smart design , i like how it locks into the track to keep it from twisting or slipping out.... thanks for sharing your idea / plans...

gordon robertson 2/7/06:applause:

villi

hmmm!! the 1. pics is not right use of that tool , this tool I think ,is for adjusting the variator belt
villi said:
Hi Bob
old Snow Trac operator did make this tool for changing the bogey wheels.
And the other orginal tools see pics.

Attachments

• lykill1.jpg
    lykill1.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 692

villi

I am sorry ! I have not the measurements of the tool yet , I have to drive 22 km.to the station but I promise :17875:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
villi said:
I am sorry ! I have not the measurements of the tool yet , I have to drive 22 km.to the station but I promise :17875:

Villi, thanks!
I just started to make up 2 of your tools even before you get me the measurements. But the measurements would come in handy for the next step.

I picked up some 3/4" solid rod and cut a couple lengths of it for the section that fits into the track. For the vertical section I realized that a couple pieces of angle iron would work great so I cut two pieces of 2"x3" angle iron to about 6" lengths. The angle iron is easily wide enough to prevent the tool from slipping or rotating while it is lifting the bogie wheel. I welded the angle iron onto the rod, set a wooden pallet on fire :eek: while working and figured I needed to take a break. Fortunately the fire was not much larger in size than a smoldering cigarette so it was quick to extinguish.

One thing I don't have is the right steel for the lever arm, I'll have to go scavange some bar stock before I can proceed any farther.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Bob another use for these tools will be to help grease your zerk fittings. I find that half of mine are always hidden behind the wheel bracket. You could lift up the tire, spin and then zerk the now exposed fitting.

villi

Hi Bob
I dont have the measurements yet ,but tonight or tomorrow. For the lever arm
you can use a lever arm from an old hey raker or machine !!!

One thing I don't have is the right steel for the lever arm, I'll have to go scavange some bar stock before I can proceed any farther.[/QUOTE]

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I just came in from the shop where I finished up making 2 "Villi Tools" for changing bogey wheels. One is for me, the other is for Mike/Snowcat Ops as he and I are doing some horse-trading on various parts so this is part of the deal.

My tool is a bit different than Villi's tool because I didn't have any pipe, so I used solid rod, angle iron and a nice piece of cold rolled steel for the lever arm. It works the same, looks similar.

I'll post photos later . . . after I stop bleeding :pat:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is my version of the Villi Bogie Wheel Tool.

Villi used pipe, but I didn't have pipe laying around so I used what I had. The bottom is a solid steel rod, 3/4" diameter by about 10" long. To prevent the tool from slipping in between the grousers when lifting, I used 2 pieces of 2" x 3" angle iron that I welded to the rod. The also form the support for the lifting arm. I was VERY SURPRISED at how easy it was to lift bogey wheel using the tool. I'm not sure how long the lift arms are, but they offer more than enough leverage to do the job :thumb:

Picture #1 - My tool shown in action. :applause:

Picture #2 - The 2 tools I made (one is for Mike/Snowtrac Operations)

Picture #3 - This is Mike's tool disassembled. As he has a Snow Master, I made the tool adjustable by drilling 2 holes in the lift arm just in case he needed a slighly different amount of reach, I also drilled 2 holes into the angle iron to offer 2 different lift heights just in case the Snow Master is slightly different than a Snow Trac. (if you have sharp eyes you can see that Mike's tool needs a stout hook on the end of the chain, I only had 1 and put it on mine, so he'll have to add that when he gets his tool)

On both tools I cut the notches with a vertical front side and an angled back side to prevent the hook from slipping out of place. I also rounded off the corner of the lever arm where it might come in contact with the rubber tire. Instead of welding the chain in place as Villi did, I chose to drill a hole in and attach the chain with a stainless steel screw/washer, it is just another way to allow for adjustments if Mike needs it on the Snow Master, but I just set mine so it would work and it should not need to be adjusted again.

THANK YOU VILLI, the measurements you provided really helped :a1:

Attachments

• IMG_0985.jpg
    IMG_0985.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 649
  • IMG_0986.jpg
    IMG_0986.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 650
  • IMG_0987.jpg
    IMG_0987.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 660

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mith needed measurements for the Villi Tool but couldn't find this thread. I shot new photos of my tool and posted them for Mith in another thread but figured it would be good to update this thread with the photos because these new photos have measurements with them.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 614
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 614
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 609

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
And the final 3 photos of my Villi Tool

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 612
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 604
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 617

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Bob, thanks, this is the thread I was looking for. The pictures you show should make it realatively easy to build.
Remeber last night I said I would be doing it today? Well its 5pm now, and I havent done anything I planned. ;)

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Ice, If I hadnt have done the cutting yesterday that messed up my hand then I would have made the tool.
It was too hot yesterday to do welding anyway, but today, just right :D

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
I've started it!
Only tacked together becuse I want to check that I havent made any mistakes before I weld. So, reckon it'll work?

Bob, I put 5 holes in the main beam, reckon that'll be enough adjustment? They are aranged in the pattern like the 5 dots are on a dice.

Attachments

• DSCF0795 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0795 (Small).JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 344

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks good. Finish up the welds and it should only need the locking chain and some notches.

One thing that I can't really see in the photo, but the lower edge of the very end where the lifting is done needs to be rounded off or cut back a bit. Villi cut his back at an angle, I used a grinder and simply rounded the lower corner back a bit and made sure there were no sharp edges on the end. Either way will work, Villi's way is probably a bit better. But you don't want a sharp lower edge poking into rubber tire of the bogie wheel.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Bob, I was going to cut a 45 degree angle on the bottom with the bandsaw, forgot to do that before I took the picture

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't recognise the double box end 90 degree wrench. The axel where it is being displayed is usually 15/16, the only other nuts this size that come to mind are the ones that hold the Variator/Transaxel in. I believe that the adjusting nuts for tensioning the variator are 1", not 15/16 and the 'throw' doesn't look long enough to use on the lower adjusting spring assembly. You might try quizzing Christer Morlind as to it's application. If he doesn't know ask Harry Dewent of BC Tell or Roary Corniel (retired, lives in Vancover BC) of NW Tell. There were a bunch of mechanics that worked for NW Tell, out of Whitehorse in the Yukon Territory that all worked for Roary Corneil that probably knew Snow Trac's better than the factory. That service center has since been closed down, but the guy's were not that old and Whitehorse is a small community that one might be able to track down one of the mechanics. The parking lot for NW Tell's service center, right off the Alaska Highway(ALCAN) was very likely the only place in the entire world where 200 Snow Trac's were parked together at one time. As this accounts for roughly a tenth of the total production of the machines and no other user in history purchased this many machines it's probably a "One and only time in history" event. Roary say's there were pictures." Whitehorse, Snow Trac Capital Of The World"

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Lyndon, Villi thinks the odd tool with the double box end wrenches was made by a prior owner of a Snow Trac in Iceland. Villi also lives on a farm near the northern coast of Iceland and received the tool from the prior owner of the Snow Trac. Somewhere he wrote that he was not sure what the heck it was for!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Bob I too have one (see my picture #5 post middle tool). It was in the spare parts / tool holder under the seat. It looks factory to me since it is the same original paint job as the other factory tools. I am wondering if it does go to the variator?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK I'm stumped.

I supposed that one day I'll have to dig through the stack of manuals I have and see if it is mentioned in any of them?