• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Trailering the PB130

Red130

Looking for a gooseneck deckover trailer to haul our PB130D. It is 21.5 ft with blade and tiller so a 20+5 dovetail is possible by tilting the blade to fold the ramps, or we've got pricing on a couple of tilt units in the 24 to 26 ft range. This trailer will also be used to haul a Kubota with backhoe to worksites/trailheads and to the shop. Finding a tilt with our specs on the used market looks grim, whereas we might find a regular flatbed. (We need to title the trailer at or under 14,700 gvwr to avoid CDL issues.)

So for those of you with experience hauling cats, is it worth a couple thousand bucks extra for a nice tilt? We'd probably attach some rubber belting for traction. Any drawbacks to the tilt?

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I use a tilt trailer for my Snow Trac, and I back on to it. Works well, but not until I put steel bars/cleats bolted to the trailer deck for traction when there is snow on the deck. With out those it was about like a greased pig contest when climbing on board. The cleats fixed all of that. They are made of 3/8"X 1" bar stock 15" long screwed to the deck on each end with 3/8"X 2" lag bolts. Use enough on each side to get up to were the trailer will un-tilt to level..

I also enclosed the nose of my trailer with 4' tall aluminum on steel frames to keep road spray at bay. Seems the roads always suck when the snow catting is the best!:wink::whistling:

Regards, Kirk

Last edited:

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I been looking for a heaver trailer for my pb. finding a tilt gooseneck may be hard.

Red130

I been looking for a heaver trailer for my pb. finding a tilt gooseneck may be hard.

We've basically given up on the idea of finding a used tilt gooseneck that meets our needs. I got a quote on a new 102" wide gooseneck (22 ft tilt, 4 foot fixed) with 15,400 gvwr made by PJ for $8500. That's what's making it tough, we could get a used flatdeck of the same size for significantly less. But I'm not sure I'm gonna like that moment backing up on snowy ramps when the snowcat tilts over, especially with the tiller hanging back there. (Maybe I'm a wimp?)

The gooseneck isn't a necessity, but they handle better on snowy mountain roads and easier to get in and out of a small trailhead parking area.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am 1000lbs over what my trailer is rated. so right now I been thinking of getting a 20ft flatdeck gooseneck and cutting off the back as much as possible and adding a beavertail. But I haven't stopped looking for a gooseneck shorter than the common 20 ft ones.
my pb is 16.9 ft long and my current trailer has a 14' deck with a 5' beavertail and rated for 10,000.
this is it parked in the same spot as if the blade was on it.
i'm just trying to give you some options on trailers
DSC00180.jpg

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I like what Shield Arc has done far better than using channel. Much more efficient use of matl. to get strength and a much more professional looking trailer.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
DSC00709.jpg

I found that small gooseneck I been looking for.
it has a 16ft deck and 5ft tail. rated for slightly over 12000 with 7000lb axles.
I haven't had the pb on it yet. today I replaced all the axle bearings and moving the ramps next. the slid out ramps are hard on my back so they will be the stand up hinged type soon.
the tail lifts up and locks to make a longer deck. it was used for hay hauling.
lots of surface rust.
my good 10,000 lb hitch trailer is on craigs.
jim