• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

My new business: "1101 Cigar Lounge"

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The guy who manages my real estate deals talked me out of semi-retirement almost-semi-retirement. We've gone into partnership on a new cigar lounge. This one is a pretty traditional lounge, unlike the small ones that I currently own which are very informal.

Its starting to take shape, here are some photos of what has been keeping busy when I'm not at the fencing club, a fencing tournament, or at the school helping the fencing team.

OBVIOUSLY ITS STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION :hammer:

Inside the humidor:
IMG_0149.jpg

View from the store area toward the humidor:
IMG_0150.jpg

Across the store area from the humidor toward the lounge:
IMG_0177.jpg

View of the smoking lounge area:
IMG_0175.jpg

View of the store area:
IMG_0176.jpg

View toward the front door (far left of photo) and front coffee/soda area of the lounge:
IMG_0178.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hmmmm....I could probably make it there next time I am in Hammond.

South of Hammond via Indianapolis Blvd (US 41 South) down to US 30. Turn left (toward your home state) and go 1 block past the first stoplight (less than 1/2 mile from the US41/US30 intersection?). Its on the south side of the street. Corner of Sunset and Lincoln Hwy (US30).

I expect it to be open mid-late January.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hope the apartment dwellers upstairs enjoy cigars!
They pound on the floor whenever we run the power tools. We just shut their heat off and pretend we know nothing :whistling:

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Very impresive craftsmanship in your new lounge MD :clap:. Thanks for sharing , looking forward to the progress pics :wink:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Are you putting in a controlled humidity system for the whole place or just the humidor? Looks like a lot of work in the humidor room.:clap:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Are you putting in a controlled humidity system for the whole place or just the humidor? Looks like a lot of work in the humidor room.:clap:
The humidor room has its own climate control with dual humidifiers controlled by a single humidistat controller located in the corner away from the humidor's door. We are hoping to get the glass windows installed today or tomorrow in the humidor, as soon as those are installed I'll put in the humidors and we'll begin to raise the humidity in that room, I want that stable and up to humidity for 1 full week before we put cigars in there.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
The humidor room has its own climate control with dual humidifiers controlled by a single humidistat controller located in the corner away from the humidor's door.

I would have gone with fully redundant systems...dual humidistat also.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would have gone with fully redundant systems...dual humidistat also.

The problem with that is they are not accurate enough to syncronize so you end up with one humidifier running far more often than the other, this way both turn on/off at the same time. I looked at several systems and this appears to be the most trouble free and keeps the room's humidity stable. Perhaps if I was doing a larger room it might make sense, but even then I'd power multiple humidifiers, spaced apart, off each humidistat.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice!

How do you handle the smoke? Do you have filters, fans...?
We are blowing it right outside the building and not filtering. There are 4 exhaust fans cut into the exterior wall of the lounge that will simply blow the smoke right out of the building. It will increase our heating/AC bills but its the best solution for getting rid of smoke that we could come up with. Depending on the level of smoke we can turn on 0, 2 or 4 exhaust fans.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
We are blowing it right outside the building and not filtering. There are 4 exhaust fans cut into the exterior wall of the lounge that will simply blow the smoke right out of the building. It will increase our heating/AC bills but its the best solution for getting rid of smoke that we could come up with. Depending on the level of smoke we can turn on 0, 2 or 4 exhaust fans.
Will you be frying any bacon from time to time for snacky's ? Sure wouldn't want to offend any folks that might be passing by . :whistling:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
where do you get these uber humidifyers? Is you place anywhere near the toll road ( we go to chicago alot)

The humidifiers are simple VICKS brand room humidifies, they are connected to dedicated/switched outlets that are controlled by a special humidistat.

As for being near the tollroad, we are closer to 80/94, as DaveNay said, exit south on US41 (Indianapolis Blvd). This lounge is about 15 minutes south of the 80/94 exit for US41, and then roughly 1/4th mile west of US41 right on US30 (W. Lincoln Hwy).

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 242

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Bob, how do you like ACID cigars? I had an "Extra Ordinary Larry" last month and thought it was pretty darn good.

SShepherd

The humidifiers are simple VICKS brand room humidifies, they are connected to dedicated/switched outlets that are controlled by a special humidistat.

As for being near the tollroad, we are closer to 80/94, as DaveNay said, exit south on US41 (Indianapolis Blvd). This lounge is about 15 minutes south of the 80/94 exit for US41, and then roughly 1/4th mile west of US41 right on US30 (W. Lincoln Hwy).

thats the secret humidifyers?????

I went to a place in vegas, they had an atomizer in a cigar shop that would boost the humidity in a room by 25% in 3min, it looked like fog coming out. I need something like that for my house.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob, how do you like ACID cigars? I had an "Extra Ordinary Larry" last month and thought it was pretty darn good.

For the most part I hate the ACID cigars, the Blondie, Nasty, KubaKuba and Wafe are, in my mind HORRID pieces of crap that look sort of like cigars?!? But I have smoked a couple of the Larrys and that is one that I actually like. Well I like it except for the price. Darn things are way too expensive, even at my wholesale cost I don't like smoking those.

By the way, this is my real estate parter Juan, the one who convinced me to open the new 1101 cigar lounge. He's paid for most of the interior remodeling of the lounge, I'm paying for the remainder plus the inventory. He runs Villar Real Estate Advisors and I have partnered in his web operation. Young guy, very aggressive, and has made me quite a bit of money this year despite the economy. We are working on purchasing several multi-unit commercial and residential properties now, and he's starting up real estate syndications here in NW Indiana.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 240

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
For the most part I hate the ACID cigars, the Blondie, Nasty, KubaKuba and Wafe are, in my mind HORRID pieces of crap that look sort of like cigars?!? But I have smoked a couple of the Larrys and that is one that I actually like. Well I like it except for the price. Darn things are way too expensive, even at my wholesale cost I don't like smoking those.

I guess I got lucky picking that one first then, huh?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I guess I got lucky picking that one first then, huh?

Just curious, any idea what you paid for it?

As for cigars, I like tobacco in my cigars and most of the ACID cigars seem to have spices, cloves, spices, etc in them. The Larry is no exception to that, but it also seems that those flavors don't overwhelm the Larry's tobacco. I've had several people ask me to describe the flavor of the Larry and I can't do it other than to say its good.

OTOH we have lots of loyal customers who smoke the other ACID cigars, (they have 20+ varieties, I carry about a half dozen?) but none will go in my mouth! :hammer: