• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

NO SOLICITORS

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just kicked a guy out of one of my stores. :hammer:

Damn. What does "NO" mean? He apparently doesn't know.

He was selling advertising. We don't advertise. The girl at the front counter told him we do not advertise. He asked to speak to me. I was busy in the back (reading FF :whistling: ) and I responded "No, let him know that we do not advertise"

So then he tells her (I could overhear it because I walked over to the FAX machine adjacent to the door to the showroom) "Could he please respect me enough to listen to what I have to say?"

She comes back a second time. I say PLENTY LOUD, "Tell him NO, we do not advertise."

She steps back through the door and says "did you hear that?" to him.

I turn and head back to my desk with my FAX and he sees me through the doorway and shouts back to me: "Could you...."

To which I shout back "What part of WE DO NO ADVERTISE DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND? Could you please leave the store?"

I don't think he's used to blunt rejection. He bowed like Obama and said "I could leave" turned tail and left.

Why was it so damn hard to get him to f-ing leave. Now I'm crabby and will have to kick my kid and beat my dog when I get home.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
She is a retail store clerk, not a receptionist. Consequently she has a gun but no mace.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Just kicked a guy out of one of my stores. :hammer:

Damn. What does "NO" mean? He apparently doesn't know.

He was selling advertising. We don't advertise. The girl at the front counter told him we do not advertise. He asked to speak to me. I was busy in the back (reading FF :whistling: ) and I responded "No, let him know that we do not advertise"

So then he tells her (I could overhear it because I walked over to the FAX machine adjacent to the door to the showroom) "Could he please respect me enough to listen to what I have to say?"

She comes back a second time. I say PLENTY LOUD, "Tell him NO, we do not advertise."

She steps back through the door and says "did you hear that?" to him.

I turn and head back to my desk with my FAX and he sees me through the doorway and shouts back to me: "Could you...."

To which I shout back "What part of WE DO NO ADVERTISE DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND? Could you please leave the store?"

I don't think he's used to blunt rejection. He bowed like Obama and said "I could leave" turned tail and left.

Why was it so damn hard to get him to f-ing leave. Now I'm crabby and will have to kick my kid and beat my dog when I get home.

Careful, dogs get old, but kids get bigger.... be afraid, they are the ones that will pick out your retirement home....:brows:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Guy was just trying to make a sale. He might have kids too.

Yes, and cold calling on stores is a tough job. But how many times do you have to hear NO? At what point is the sales rep becoming rude and intrusive? I think when he called back to me in the back room he stepped over the line and sealed his fate. At that point he deserved to be kicked out of the store.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob,

Teach Misha to go nuts (bark, growl) when you say "Solicitor" and take her with you.

Follow it up with "Misha... Dinner... 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.... Get 'em Misha!!!"

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Misha used to come to the office with me when she was a puppy, she had free run of the office area at my company and several of the employees used to keep treats in their desks for her. Some of the people used to take breaks by hooking up her leash and talking her for a walk outside.

Since I retired and opened these little stores she has been left at home. I think she'd actually get along great in the lounges but I'd prefer not to test her with the general public. Not that I don't trust her, she is pretty mild mannered, but I don't want to rely on trusting every customer. In my office there were the same people day after day, and most had dogs at home so it wasn't really an issue. With the public there could just as easily be dog lovers as cat lovers. Just don't trust cat people!

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
We get that here all the time also. Other than a half of a page ad in the local yellow pages we have no other advertising. We get hounded by people calling looking to roof work, sell ads etc. We don't need to advertise as we are rarely under 90% occupied and usually about 93%. I have a simple web page though our ISP with our address, map and location to where we are as well as our prices. That we get free as it is part of the phone and internet connections. We use vendor be it contractors, suppliers etc as needed from a set list we have used in the past exclusively.

We also get at least 2 infomercials on the phone in the course of a day as well as several faxes offering vacations to other junk.

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
Melensdad,

I consider telemarketers a gift from God. They are objects put into my life for me to take all of my frustrations out on that cannot do anything about it.

I do not do retail, bur, I get the calls from people that just want to set up an appointment for 5 minutes to ....... I ask them for their credit card number and tell them that is is a $125.00 minimum.

Usually brightens my mood and gets them to go away.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
... I ask them for their credit card number and tell them that is is a $125.00 minimum...

OK that is classic. I'll be stealing that idea from you and not giving you any credit for it :yum:

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Are they a pain in the ass YES . But at least they have a job & trying to carry their own weight , I,m a Complete asshole but even I feel sympothy for them , Granted its been years since I,ve had to deal with them in person , But I allways made it a point to walk them out the door myself & politelly as posable . But thats just Me :whistling:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We got tired of telemarketers calling the house. I'd say 8/10 calls we got were telemarketers trying to sell something. We got so fed up with it that we ended up canceling our home phone and just upgrading our cell packages. Guess what? No more telemarketers. Don't know how you would do that in this situation with the guy standing right there. Perhaps a sign on the front of the store saying no advertising salesmen allowed.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
We got tired of telemarketers calling the house. I'd say 8/10 calls we got were telemarketers trying to sell something. We got so fed up with it that we ended up canceling our home phone and just upgrading our cell packages. Guess what? No more telemarketers. Don't know how you would do that in this situation with the guy standing right there. Perhaps a sign on the front of the store saying no advertising salesmen allowed.
Same thing here. Despite the "Do Not Call" list, between telemarketers, survey takers and politicians, I had a full belly of unsolicited calls. We finally pulled the plug and live just fine on our cell phones. Oh, and the fax machine was just a paper waster once some ass hole got the number and sold it to his other ass hole buddies who continually would send faxes for health insurance and vacation packages. I made the mistake of calling the numbers of a couple of them to be taken off their list, but it backfired and the fax traffic tripled. Never call those numbers because then they know they have an active machine that is monitored daily, and they increase the traffic to it. The fax is now a plain paper copy machine only.

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
Joe - I went efax some time ago. I can heave what I want, I can see any fax from anyplace and all the junk FAX's stopped.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Joe - I went efax some time ago. I can heave what I want, I can see any fax from anyplace and all the junk FAX's stopped.
All but one of my suppliers are now receiving my RFQ's and drawings electronically in PDF format, and returning the quotes the same way. I'm helping the holdout set up his e-mail and Adobe Reader so I can get him in the fold as well. I already do all my drawings on AutoCAD, so saving as a PDF is just a few keystrokes. One less office machine to buy toner for.

JasonFontaine

I once was one of those "salesman" going door to door....for a newspaper. Hats off to the sucker for trying....that's the American spirit...never give up.....but, I guess an even better American spirit is throwing him out on his arse for not following simple directions in the first place~:)
Guess what - look at all this FREE publicity you've gotten from this story? So, he DID his job and you DIDN'T have to spend any money (just don't tell him!) :)