• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Mashed Cauliflower (a substitute for mashed potatoes)

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
With my daughter being dependent upon insulin, and with the whole family trying to eat healthy, we've been on a lower carbohydrate diet.

One thing that has lots of carbohydrates is potatoes so we made a little switch and now are mashing cauliflower instead of mashing potatoes.
If you prefer the taste of potatoes or dislike the taste of cauliflower you can mix in some potatoes (or even some instant mashed potato flakes) to alter the flavor so it is more like mashed potatoes.
Take 1 large head of cauliflower and steam it until it is soft. Break it apart into chunks and run them through a food processor to 'mash' them. Be careful with water, you want to shake off any excess as the mashed cauliflower can be runny if you add water or don't drain the steamed cauliflower. 1 large head will make 4 small servings.

The texture will be a bit softer but still similar to mashed potatoes. Add salt, butter, garlic etc to taste. Again, if you want to change the taste to make it more familiar, mash in 1 potato with 1 large cauliflower or mix in some instant mashed potatoes so you have roughly 3/4 cauliflower and 1/4 potato.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
The mashed cauliflower is extra good with cheese in it :smile:

I've been eating low carb/natural since last July.
40 grams carbs is my usual daily target.

A substitute for crackers is micro'ed cheese. About an ounce of sliced cheddar or swiss on a paper (wax coated) plate zapped for a minute. Makes a crispy snack.

There are a couple of low carb forums with lots of great recipe suggestions .

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The mashed cauliflower is extra good with cheese in it :smile:
I'm lactose intolerant so I eat very little dairy. But I do like cauliflower with a bit of cheese melted on it. We've not tried it mixed in with the mashed cauliflower but that is certainly a logical step forward.

BTW, my daughter figured out the microblasted cheese crisps a few months ago.

Cityboy

Banned
That's good stuff Bob. CG's made that a few times and I like it, especially with lots of garlic and a little olive oil. Matter of fact, I like it better than mashed taters.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We've also sauted some diced onions in butter and mixed them into the mashed cauliflower (don't run the onions through the food processor with the cauliflower, add the onions after the cauliflower is mashed) and it brings a whole different, yet mild flavor to the mashed cauliflower. Make sure you saute the onions in butter until they are carmelized for best flavor.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Bob, I didn't know that your daughter was diabetic. I was diagnosed with it about 3 years ago. Mine isn't too bad and is controlled with diet & medication but I'd have hated to have it when I was young.

Two of the hardest things for me to give up was potatoes and bread. My wife did all the research, God bless her, and came up with the same mashed cauliflower recipe. Sometimes she mixes a little potato in with it and sometimes the onion but always the cheese.

I've never tried the nuked the cheddar cheese slices though .... tomorrow!!!!!

Pixie, where are those low carb forums? My wife is always looking for new ideas.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Frank, 'Low Carb Friends' is the one I know the best. Some of the people have some excellent info and there is a big recipe section .
And here's a link to Linda Sue's Low Carb recipes http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/

Vin, from what I understand, the glycemic index and carbs both quantify substances that affect blood sugar. They count it in slightly different ways and one way may be more appropriate for some people than the other. I don't have diabetes but carbohydrates don't agree with me anymore.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob, I didn't know that your daughter was diabetic. I was diagnosed with it about 3 years ago. Mine isn't too bad and is controlled with diet & medication but I'd have hated to have it when I was young.
She was diagnosed about a year and a half ago. Her diabetes sounds like it is different than your, she's a Type I and from what you write I'm guessing you are Type II. She has to test her blood about 10 times a day, I just did the early morning check at 6am. My wife did Midnight and 3am last night. She was giving herself shots of insulin 5 to 6 times a day but now wears an insulin pump that injects it into her via a tube that is stuck through her skin.

Frank, 'Low Carb Friends' is the one I know the best. Some of the people have some excellent info and there is a big recipe section .

Vin, from what I understand, the glycemic index and carbs both quantify substances that affect blood sugar. They count it in slightly different ways and one way may be more appropriate for some people than the other. I don't have diabetes but carbohydrates don't agree with me anymore.
Pixie, I think you are correct on the glycemic index thing. We don't quite understand it and are still learning. But I know with Melen that she is affected differently by sweet potatotes than by candy bars. I do know the GI measures those two differently. But both require her to take insulin when she eats either. Seems the the sweet potatoes tend to have a delayed affect and also lasts much longer, the candy seems to rush into her system faster but peaks and wanes.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter

Thank you Pixie, we'll check them out. My wife always feels that she is getting in a rut as far as meal preparation is concerned and is always looking for new ideas.

Bob, it's a strange disease and not one to be messed with. Different things seem to affect different people differently. It takes a long time to get a handle on it, to find out what affects you personally and in what way. For me, I can't even look at a candy bar sideways without my blood sugar being elevated but Yukon Gold potatoes seem to affect me less than any other in that I can have a small portion without doing too much damage. Sweet potatoes in moderation are also OK.

daedong

In all the research I have done the GI is the best measure by far.

Glycemic Index Food Chart
Low Glycemic Index food (less than 55)
Foods with GI index between 55 and 70 are consider intermediate
High Glycemic Index food GI (more than 70)
Food List Rating Food Glycemic Index Negative Calorie Diet eBooks
Note: In order to lose weight you have to burn more calories than you consume. We highly recommend The Negative Calorie Diet(TM) book. This book is based on scientific research and more than 100 foods requiring your body to "BURN" more calories processing them through your digestive system than the actual calorie content of the food itself. This results in your body burning up the excessive stored fat! Learn how to eat healthy and lose weight regularly by choosing the right foods with The Negative Calorie Diet™ book.
Bakery Products
*Pound cake Low 54 Danish pastry Medium 59 Muffin (unsweetened) Medium 62 Cake , tart Medium 65 Cake, angel Medium 67 Croissant Medium 67 Waffles High 76 Doughnut High 76
Beverages
Soya milk Low 30 Apple juice Low 41 Carrot juice Low 45 Pineapple juice Low 46 Grapefruit juice Low 48 Orange juice Low 52
Biscuits
Digestives Medium 58 Shortbread Medium 64 Water biscuits Medium 65 Ryvita Medium 67 Wafer biscuits High 77 **Rice cakes High 77
Breads
Multi grain bread Low 48 Whole grain Low 50 Pita bread, white Medium 57 Pizza, cheese Medium 60 Hamburger bun Medium 61 Rye-flour bread Medium 64 Whole meal bread Medium 69 White bread High 71 White rolls High 73 Baguette High 95
Breakfast Cereals
All-Bran Low 42 Porridge, non instant Low 49 Oat bran Medium 55 Muesli Medium 56 Mini Wheats (wholemeal) Medium 57 Shredded Wheat Medium 69 Golden Grahams High 71 Puffed wheat High 74 Weetabix High 77 Rice Krispies High 82 Cornflakes High 83
Cereal Grains
Pearl barley Low 25 Rye Low 34 Wheat kernels Low 41 Rice, instant Low 46 Rice, parboiled Low 48 Barley, cracked Low 50 Rice, brown Medium 55 Rice, wild Medium 57 Rice, white Medium 58 Barley, flakes Medium 66 Taco Shell Medium 68 Millet High 71
Dairy Foods
Yogurt low- fat (sweetened) Low 14 Milk, chocolate Low 24 Milk, whole Low 27 Milk, Fat-free Low 32 Milk ,skimmed Low 32 Milk, semi-skimmed Low 34 *Ice-cream (low- fat) Low 50 *Ice-cream Medium 61
Fruits
Cherries Low 22 Grapefruit Low 25 Apricots (dried) Low 31 Apples Low 38 Pears Low 38 Plums Low 39 Peaches Low 42 Oranges Low 44 Grapes Low 46 Kiwi fruit Low 53 Bananas Low 54 Fruit cocktail Medium 55 Mangoes Medium 56 Apricots Medium 57 Apricots (tinned in syrup) Medium 64 Raisins Medium 64 Pineapple Medium 66 **Watermelon High 72
Pasta
Spaghetti, protein enriched Low 27 Fettuccine Low 32 Vermicelli Low 35 Spaghetti, whole wheat Low 37 Ravioli, meat filled Low 39 Spaghetti, white Low 41 Macaroni Low 45 Spaghetti, durum wheat Medium 55 Macaroni cheese Medium 64 Rice pasta, brown High 92
Root Crop
Carrots, cooked Low 39 Yam Low 51 Sweet potato Low 54 Potato, boiled Medium 56 Potato, new Medium 57 Potato, tinned Medium 61 Beetroot Medium 64 Potato, steamed Medium 65 Potato, mashed Medium 70 Chips High 75 Potato, micro waved High 82 Potato, instant High 83 **Potato, baked High 85 Parsnips High 97
Snack Food and Sweets
Peanuts Low 15 *M&Ms (peanut) Low 32 *Snickers bar Low 40 *Chocolate bar; 30g Low 49 Jams and marmalades Low 49 *Crisps Low 54 Popcorn Medium 55 Mars bar Medium 64 *Table sugar (sucrose) Medium 65 Corn chips High 74 Jelly beans High 80 Pretzels High 81 Dates High 103
Soups
Tomato soup, tinned Low 38 Lentil soup, tinned Low 44 Black bean soup, tinned Medium 64 Green pea soup, tinned Medium 66
Vegetable and Beans
Artichoke Low 15 Asparagus Low 15 Broccoli Low 15 Cauliflower Low 15 Celery Low 15 Cucumber Low 15 Eggplant Low 15 Green beans Low 15 Lettuce, all varieties Low 15 Low-fat yogurt, artificially sweetened Low 15 Peppers, all varieties Low 15 Snow peas Low 15 Spinach Low 15 Young summer squash Low 15 Tomatoes Low 15 Zucchini Low 15 Soya beans, boiled Low 16 Peas, dried Low 22 Kidney beans, boiled Low 29 Lentils green, boiled Low 29 Chickpeas Low 33 Haricot beans, boiled Low 38 Black-eyed beans Low 41 Chickpeas, tinned Low 42 Baked beans, tinned Low 48 Kidney beans, tinned Low 52 Lentils green, tinned Low 52 Broad beans High 79
Notes: *high in empty calories **low-calorie and nutritious foods

http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/glycemicfoodchart.htm