• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

trailer maintenance

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I used my 12' utility trailer for the first time this year and noticed it needs a little maintenance done on it real soon. The wooden bed needs treated with something to protect the wood, and the metal frame can use a little paint also.

I was considering putting something a little stronger than paint on the wood, but don't have a particular product in mind. So I'm looking for recommendations.

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
I've done mine as well as any wood bulkheads around the place with used motor oil thinned with a little kerosene. If your project doesn't need a "pretty" finish, this will do the job cheap.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I was considering putting something a little stronger than paint on the wood, but don't have a particular product in mind. So I'm looking for recommendations.

If you come up with something, let me know. I still have two hay wagons that need painting. I am thinking of using some of that truck bed rubberized lining. They have roll-on DIY kits available from Dupli-Color and others.

urednecku

Site Supporter
I've done mine as well as any wood bulkheads around the place with used motor oil thinned with a little kerosene. If your project doesn't need a "pretty" finish, this will do the job cheap.

And it works great. Only thing is, if it gets wet, it's slippery as greased own sh&t to walk on.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What about if you carry boxes in the trailer, would they end up getting dirty from the coating?
I've considered the roll on bed liner also. I saw one that works on wood but can't remember where I saw it (that was about a year or so ago).

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
How about using deck stain?

Personally, I don't like coating/covering certain wood things for safety reasons. If something is cracked, broken or whatever, I want to see it. This applies to things like trailer beds, wood ladders, wood ramps...

P

Pigtails

I used my 12' utility trailer for the first time this year and noticed it needs a little maintenance done on it real soon. The wooden bed needs treated with something to protect the wood, and the metal frame can use a little paint also.

Doc, We use linseed oil on all of our trailers that have wooden decks. Works great.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
California is absolutely right! Make sure you get the wheel bearing lubed up really good. In fact it should be done once a year at the absolute minimum. Nothing like having a load and having a whole wheel assembly rolling past you before it goes into the oncoming lane killing some small child.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Nothing like having a load and having a whole wheel assembly rolling past you before it goes into the oncoming lane killing some small child.

If the child is playing in the oncoming lane of traffic, I don't think a loose wheel is his biggest problem. :ohmy:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Correct. But in the above comment I was refering to a trailer wheel assembly that came off a trailer. It then passed right by the drivers side of the tow vehicle and then went into the on coming lane and struck a small car in the windshield. It entered into the windshield and killed the small girl sitting in the passenger seat.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Having boat trailers in the family we lube our wheel bearings regularly. :thumb:

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Never tried it, but the bed liner on wood doesn't sound like a good idea to me. If it gets nicked then water can enter and be trapped in the wood causing rot. I agree w/ Pigtails on the linseed oil.
JMHO,
Mike

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
linseed oil is what my trailer maker recommended when I picked it up.
make sure it's "boiled" linseed - it dries better/faster.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Can you put linseed oil on overtop of paint? I have one of those black utility trailers with the fold down back gate. The wood was originally painted black to match the rest of the trailer. The black has faded, and needs reapplied ...or something else put on in place.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Can you put linseed oil on overtop of paint? I have one of those black utility trailers with the fold down back gate. The wood was originally painted black to match the rest of the trailer. The black has faded, and needs reapplied ...or something else put on in place.

Doc, I would guess you could put it on over the paint. It will not penetrate as well where the paint covers the wood. It is a very simple application on trailer decks. You can just quickly roll/slop it on the wood surface. I would just apply it a couple years in a row and it should cover the painted wood and protect it. Also, it is a good idea to thin the linseed oil with a thinner to make it easier to apply and to penetrate the wood. You can easily tell when the deck needs a new coat of oil put on in the future.

cj7

I would go with linseed if possible. Maybe look at regular deck stains etc. Any outdoors paint will work of course it will peel eventually.

Sand it all off and start over is an option.

On a side note. My mechanic that used to work at an RV dealer recomends against bearing buddies. Great concept but the grease hardly reaches the rear bearings. They can not hurt to have but they are not a substitute for regular service.