• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bomb Shelter

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Deadly Sushi posted that Tom Cruise has just built a Bomb Shelter. That started me thinking. Back in the 50s and 60s back yard bomb shelters were almost as common as sheds. Do any of you remember them or still have whats left over of one? Has anyone built one lately? I am fasinated with them.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Mikey, I know there isn't one in Ely, but go to a real city with manholes. Open the cover. Climb down. Pull cover over yourself. Wait it out. Still fascinated? :yum:

Sorry, couldn't resist. Now don't take it out on my KT-3!

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
There is a few of them here in our town. Even some old cisterns yet that are full of water, why I don't know.

murph

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I remember hearing about the shelters, but I've never seen one other than the ones in movies or on TV.

Um...just out of curisoity what are these shelters for?...cause if your waiting out a tornado than great but if people are building these because they want to survive a Nuk then they got another thing coming...i would have them start by diggin at an angle down about 300 feet (this will help filter anything draining down to your new home! i would have them make it about 5000 sq ft about 1000 for living in and 4000 for supplies!! after that i would let them know they need to bring plants for o2 in the room and then dig an excape hatch just in case.

But then after i sold them this i would laugh cause there is no way to filter out the deadly carbons that we breath out it is almost impossible to disgaurd waste like human excrament! i would also laugh because it would take years for life to start anew and for the contaminents to filter away and for it to be safe on the surface again! and chances are you will run out of supplies before all this happens.

So for me i want a nice lawn chair a beer a steak and some popcorn cause i am on the front lawn flipping the bird and watching the flash!

Attachments

• motivator43825305cj.jpg
    motivator43825305cj.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 37
Your right i forgot about those impermiable 1950's desk!! and all you have to do is lift the top and everything you need is inside!! LOL :yum:

Or you could always trying kneeling down in the hallway with a heavy history book over your head!

Or we could always rely on this method!! those Airplane seats are pretty sturdy!! Just watch out for the BARF bags!! :puke1:

Attachments

• CAYB8RD6.jpg
    CAYB8RD6.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 72

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
still come across plenty when im working in london...built under the house but used as a junk store room mostly.
dont know what it is but there is just something creepy about them...dingy little rooms that are cold and damp.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
still come across plenty when im working in london...built under the house but used as a junk store room mostly.
dont know what it is but there is just something creepy about them...dingy little rooms that are cold and damp.

I'm willing to bet there are a whole lot of them throughout the U.S. also. Most likely, the entrances have rusted away and collapsed, and the property owner doesn't even know they are there.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
DaveNay thats exactly what I want to know. They cant all have gone. Someone surely has one they use foor staorage now. Just curious. By the way Wareadyness. 95% of the country wont be affected by blasts of a Nuke. Radio active fall out will cover about 40% of the U.S. all you need to do if you live in a fallout area is to stay under ground for about 2 weeks to survive the radion affect. After that you will need to bug out to a safer area. BUT thats not what this thread is about. BCZOOM I love that place of yours. We have several like that locally for the old Micro wave sites. They are older and not in as nice of a condition. Also about half the size. Cool place! Thanks for your post