• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What new business type/product would you consider?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've been kicking around some new business ventures but haven't found the perfect one yet. The bunker would be used for the business location.

A couple constraints:
I'm very limited on retail/showroom area.
No product can exceed 6,000 pounds nor be > than 7' high x 7' wide by 18' long.

I've kicked around about 100 ideas but I haven't found the right one yet.

A couple that keep coming back to mind:
Woodstoves - probably emphasizing on the outdoor type.
Windmills - for homes
Off-road vehicles - maybe becoming a distributer/retailer for off-brand ATV's and UTV's (e.g. Chinese ATV's or AUSA UTV's).

Things like the aforementioned can be stored and assembled in the bunker and I would only require nominal space for a customer to see the product.

So, what type of operation/business... would you consider? Any products or companies that are "up and coming" and need new markets, retailers, distributors...

mak2

I run a landscaping and mowing company. I can tell you, at least in my area, there is not enough competition. I wish there were seveal more dealers around, but I am stuck with jsut a few and they act like they know it.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Can you post pictures of the Bunker? I'm thinking it's a hole in the ground or big square block of concrete but that is what my mind tells me a Bunker looks like.

Post some pics!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
They're old and I need to take new ones since it's now much cleaner, but pictures and bunker details can be found in this thread.

The main open room is approx. 130x80. The generators, air-handling/HVAC, water systems, bathroom, conference room, kitchen are all in other areas.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I would agree with Dave. You should contact some companies that do offsite data storage and archiving and see if you could partner with them. You could even run your own "secure storage" business. Look for opportunities to partner with people so they do all the dirty work (pickup, drop-off, etc). Then all you have to do is maintain the facility and keep it safe and dry. You would have to set up a corp and get a ton of insurance though. However, I think the cost to build a similar facility is prohibitive and an offsite data storage company would really like to offer the security of your bunker to their customers.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dave & PB,

That is/was one of my main thoughts but there's a little snag...

We have this little place nearby called "Iron Mountain". If you're not familiar with them, let's just say they've pretty much cornered the national market on that type of storage and archiving.

They've only used approx. 13-15% of their available space at their nearby (250+ feet underground) site. Their local site is 1000 acres total. I believe they have something like 124 sites in 17 countries.

They already have 2,300 clients at the site (including the U.S. Government, the National Archives, Warner Brothers, Universal Studios, the Federal Office of Management and Budget, US Investigations Services, Walt Disney...).

They have a staff of 1,700 people at the site who do everything, including the dirty work of pick-up, drop-off, shredding...

They also have me beat on infrastructure and components that make them attractive for the security of client materials (including their own 5 engine fire department).

I have talked with Iron Mountain and actually had one of their VP's come to our site. He likes the site but says it's too small for document storage (as they take in more documents in a single day than my bunker can hold). He said it's more viable for digital storage or a computer hot site. Unfortunately, if I were to set up either, I need a couple million more in my bankroll before I would even get my first customer...

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
What? You mean you don't have a million in your bankroll?

Just sell the thing before the real estate market tanks any more. That's what I would do. It's just too specialized to be of any use other than as a bunker. I also suspect the maintenance costs would kill you.

List it high to make the time you have owned it profitable and wait. There's a sucker born every minute!

Ever considered ummmm . . . growing stuff in there? I mean with your own power and walls that are impervious to heat seeking cameras you could be making a lot of money. Just a thought - don't really do it.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
What? You mean you don't have a million in your bankroll?
I said "a couple million" :whistle: And that's just to get the first customer. A few million more to run at full capacity.

Growing stuff in there has been considered (and quickly negated) as the things that would turn a decent profit can get you in trouble.

Wine or perishable/seasonable product storage (fruits, vegetables...) are still an option.

Shooting range is still an option but may not be as profitable as other options.

Strip club/brothel/bar... have the ADA issues and others related to it being a public place.

Dave - You mentioned FBI/CIA. I've been considering that in many different fashions. Add Homeland Security as well. It would make a great command center. I was also thinking of a training range for urban warfare and/or other agent shooting qualifications. It's tall enough to put up balconys for supervisors to review. Too bad it's damn near impossible to get an unsolicited proposal in front of any of those departments.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Another option we're strongly considering.

Put 5-6 apartments in there. Either for general rental or specialize them for safety or disasters. The latter would then be leased to really rich people that wouldn't want to live there but have it on retainer.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Dave - You mentioned FBI/CIA. I've been considering that in many different fashions. Add Homeland Security as well. It would make a great command center. I was also thinking of a training range for urban warfare and/or other agent shooting qualifications. It's tall enough to put up balconys for supervisors to review. Too bad it's damn near impossible to get an unsolicited proposal in front of any of those departments.
Perhaps you could take some ideas from these guys.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Leasing space as safe houses sounds interesting. I wonder how many mods you'd have to do to show and lease them.

How about renting space as training class rooms. A place where corporate companies could send employees for computer classes. You could probably run at least 4 maybe 6 class rooms.

Or lease it as office space or lease it for short term periods for companies that need additional but temporary office space.

edit to add:
If you have lots of parking you could let travel trailers & boats park there for the winter. Charge by the foot.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
Perhaps you could take some ideas from these guys.
Thanks Dave. I'll look at that.

Doc said:
Leasing space as safe houses sounds interesting. I wonder how many mods you'd have to do to show and lease them.

How about renting space as training class rooms. A place where corporate companies could send employees for computer classes. You could probably run at least 4 maybe 6 class rooms.

Or lease it as office space or lease it for short term periods for companies that need additional but temporary office space.

edit to add:
If you have lots of parking you could let travel trailers & boats park there for the winter. Charge by the foot.
"I wonder how many mods you'd have to do" - Hey Doc... I don't go that way. Just the thought of "doing" a couple of the mods on this forum makes me cringe.:hide:

It wouldn't take too much to put 5 apartments in. Raise the floor a foot, lower the ceiling 6', run all the HVAC, plumbing... in those areas and the rest if a piece of cake. Each unit would be approx. 18' x 56' (1000 sq/ft). I would also have a "common area" for lounging, pool tables and other gaming... Basically, a place with things to do if/when you need to kill time.

The office space/training rooms... all get into the same "reasonable access" requirements I would probably require to comply with ADA.

DaveNay said:
A Republican owned and run homeless shelter? :yum::yum::yum:
Actually, that's still on the table in one form or another.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
How about Secure Document Storage? Things like medical records and legal records. It is hard to get more fireproof than an underground missle silo.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
How about Secure Document Storage? Things like medical records and legal records. It is hard to get more fireproof than an underground missle silo.
Bob,
Posts 5-7 of this thread discussed that. I can't beat the competition.

BTW - It's not a missle silo, it's a communications facility. The design/construction is a lot different.

On a related note, for those recommending selling, this facility is becoming more in demand. I've recently found out that many of these "bunkers" are being (or have been) destroyed as part of the SALT and SALT II treaties. The SALT treaties relate to the missile silos but for each secure facility destroyed, that increases the value of the site I have. This isn't to say that I won't list and/or sell the site if the price is right.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ohhh.

I probably should have mentioned this earlier or made this clear.

My partner and I each have our own other companies that take up the majority of our time and (at this point) aren't ready to relinquish our time to make this a full time venture. So, we're looking for a business that requires less than full-time requirements for ourselves. A light manufacturing, or assembly/installation of another product whereby we can hire others to manage most of any new venture is most probable.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Assembling and selling chinese goods such as tractors, ATVs, workshop tools such as lathes, mills and bansaws etc.

elsmitro

floppy member
bczoom said:
windmills - for homes
I'm all for it! Wind, solar, geothermal, water, I love the idea of renewable energy. I just wish I could afford it... It would be nice if someone came out with a convenient affordable solution. The folks on this link have the right idea; I just don't have the time or tools to really get into building my own.
http://www.otherpower.com/
Good Luck!
Oh, stay away from the Chinese bikes; they already of the reputation as bike of the year (because they only last a year).

rico304

Better than owning the store that sells atv's or tractors etc..., why not an area for owners to work on them. Seperate stalls supplied with tools for people to rent daily/weekly/monthly/yearly. Have several set up to store motorcycles and such that people just don't have to room to store during the colder seasons. Several bays would be set up with lifts/tools/benches etc for people to work on their own things. Place to get rid of oil for oil changes etc. Have a small area set up for people to hang out and have coffee and talk about their babies. It might turn out to be a hang out, but you wouldn't care what they do. I would say stock a couple roll away tool chests that people could rent. They would sign saying they are responsible for all tools. (Credit card number might be good too!) haha
Once this turns into a hang out, you could sell items there representing the name of the shop. Kinda like the FF shirts!
Just a thought.