• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Partan Bree

Caitlin

This is a Scottish soup made with crab meat:

1 medium-sized boiled crab
90g/3oz long-grain rice
600ml/1pint skimmed milk
600ml/1 pint fish stock
1 tbsp anchovy essence
2tsp lime or lemon juice
1 tbsp chopped parsley or 1 tsp chopped thyme
3-4 tbsp soured cream (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

Remove and reserve all brown and white meat from body of crab.

Crack claws, remove and chop meat, reserve.

Put rice and milk in pan, bring slowly to boil, cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes.

Add the white and brown crab meat (from body), season and simmer for 5 minutes.

Cool a little then blend until smooth.

Pour into a clean saucepan then add the fish stock and the reserved claw meat. Bring slowly to boil, add anchovy essence and lime/lemon juice, adjust seasoning.

Boil for further 2-3 minutes. Stir in parsley or thyme.

Swirl soured cream (if using) through each serving.

*Gotta say my Gran used potatoes instead of rice, as the rice is only to thicken and potatoes do the same job, but no idea how much she used.
blush.gif

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Caitlin, you're really taking me on a journey down memory lane. My grandmother used to make that and you're right, it was thickened with potatoes. What kind of Scotsman would use rice in a traditional dish like Parten Bree???

Caitlin

Caitlin, you're really taking me on a journey down memory lane. My grandmother used to make that and you're right, it was thickened with potatoes. What kind of Scotsman would use rice in a traditional dish like Parten Bree???

Not me but I can't remember my Grans REAL recipe so this was from a book. :hammer: