• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bara Brith (Welsh Raisin Date Nut Cake)

PieSusan

As promised this is the version of Bara Brith that I make. There are as many versions of this cake as there are Welsh housewives. Enjoy!

Bara Brith (Welsh Raisin Date Nut Cake)
Based on a recipe by Renny Darling

Ingredients:
1-1/4 cups (2-1/2 sticks) sweet butter
1-1/4 cups brewed tea (I used an Irish tea)
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
1 cup yellow raisins
1 cup black currants
1 cup chopped dates
1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 Tablespoons apricot jam

Directions:
In a saucepan, heat together the sweet butter, tea, condensed milk, raisins currants and dates. Allow the mixture to simmer for a minute or two, or until nicely blended and the raisins are plump. Set aside and allow to cool for half an hour. Mix together the flours, baking powder and soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and chopped walnuts. Then stir the dried ingredients into the wet ingredients only until they are just moistened. Do not overmix. Stir in the apricot jam.

Scrape the batter into a 10" springform pan and bake at 325 degrees for about 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. You may need to tent the cake loosely with foil if it is browning to quickly.

Allow the cake to cool in the pan, and then cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate.

Note: This is cake is not very sweet and is more like a dark raisin bread.

Durwood RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
That looks like a very yummy dish. :applause: I wonder how much shipping costs are from N.E. ohio to S.W. Ohio . :whistling:

PieSusan

I don't know. It depends upon the weight of the package. I use to send stuff to my folks when they wintered in Florida.