• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I am a JERK and it makes me smile!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
remember I looked it up for you when you lost your lap top. DUHhhh! Nah I was just taught this nasty prank by some bad people.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Bob, how is the truck working, are you getting the desired effect of showing your stuff to the other guy. BTW nice job on that.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well there is shit flying all over town and the best thing MAY have possibly happened.

We got word from our landlord that the sign that we ORIGINALLY wanted to put up, but were denied from installing, may now be approved if we simply move the damn truck!!! The town denied our sign request. The landlord wanted us to install it anyway. It was not unreasonable. So it looks like we may get the original sign we hoped for. That would be a good compromise.

I have other places where the truck can go, so that is not a problem. It looks like I may just have gotten the sign that we tried to get several months ago, simply because my truck is such an eyesore.

On the other hand, we have a legal issue. My truck is parked out near the road. It is clearly advertising my products. I am catching all sorts of hell and grief about it. But right down the road, the U-Haul store had a couple dozen trucks parked along the road. Each is advertising their product, each has signs in the windows, etc. And across the road from me is a large tile store. They have a big truck parked along the road, it is all decalled up with advertising. Usually parked about 3 places away from that is another truck, but that on is for MOE's Mexican Restaurant, and it is all decalled with advertising. And 1 block away is Evergreen Furniture's Truck, also parked along the roadway, also with advertising. Clearly these trucks are parked where they are to get around the "sign ordnance" in the town. I see those trucks parked there EVERY STINKING DAY so the town has no way of legitimately enforcing something against me.

But like I said, it may end up being that I remove my truck. A big honking sign would look better and be better for me in the long run. So if I can get my sign, then my truck will drive off into the sunset (and I will park it at another store).

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
It appears that no matter which way it turns out, this truck idea of yours is a success :applause: .

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It appears that no matter which way it turns out, this truck idea of yours is a success :applause: .

Yes it does. Good job Bob. .....I really didn't think the truck was that much of an eyesore.

Very good point on Uhaul always having multiple trucks right by the road advertising their presence. You do know how to stir the chit buddy! :beer:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well as much as I detest war, I was prepared for it. I have about 100 photos of other signs, banners, trucks, and misc code infractions regarding signs that were substantially similar to what we did. All we ask for is fair enforcement. Either prevent everyone from doing stuff or let me do what you let them do.

But as for the truck, we interpret that we have broken no rules, we have simply made a lot of folks choke up a little bit of puke in the back of their mouths. I guess it made a point?

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I wouldnt be so fats as to compromise yet. Keep all the photos and and ask them if you are willing to compromise now how come you were not before? Then ask them what laws have been brocken or why you must remove your truck? To me you still have an obvious discrimination case against the city or county. I wouldnt be so quick to meet there demands. Instead I would take pictures of all of the vehicles you mentioned above. I would not trust these bastards! Something still is not right. Why in the first place were you denied? Just my 2 cents.

Either way Bob it seems youve won this one small battle. Watch your 6!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mike, I totally agree. There is no way that I will be destroying the mountain of evidence that I have collected. I've got a call into the town now and am waiting to hear from them. The truck is sitting, parked, and padlocked. I don't see any reason to move it right now.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
After many attempts, I finally spoke with a town official who has real authority. This was a very good thing. It is obvious to both him and me that the REAL problem lies between the two landlords and that I am stuck in between the two fueding parites.

I have agreed to alter the signs on my truck. The signs will be temporarily removed. A different type of sign will replace them, I am happy with that. The town is acceptable to that since they are well aware of many other businesses that do exactly the same thing I did. But I will also admit that my truck is somewhat uglier than the other trucks, and I will make every attempt to make my truck more presentable and better looking to the town. Therefore while my truck gets to stay, I will remove much of the "eye-sore" factor.

While I agreed to this, the town agreed to take me out of the middle of the fued that exists between the two neighobring property owners. When the call was finally complete, I believe that both the town official and myself were about 90% satisfied with the outcome. Honestly he told me that we should have talked a week ago and this would have already been resolved. I agreed with him.

But I also told him that not only I, but my store manager, had placed several calls to one of the other town officials and she never returned any of our calls. I also indicated to him that I wrote her a letter and she did not respond to our letter until AFTER the truck was in place. She then called me from my store and told me that I had to move the truck 20' away from any sign and I told him that I complied with her wishes. In fact I was able to explain to him that I have complied with EVERY wish the town notified us about. I also told him that I left him 2 messages yesterday and I had documentation for each contact that I attempted to make, but we had never gotten a return call.

All said and done, the two land owners will continue to fight. I am out of the middle of it. The town administrator and I have come to a mutually agreed solution to my "eye-sore" truck. He also now has my direct phone number and I have his direct phone number and we both, I believe, have a reasonable understanding of the CORE problem and of each of our needs and what each of us is able to do.

This is the best outcome that I think I could hope for and I am glad that we are now on a CONSTRUCTIVE PATH to full resolution. Obviously everything I have done prior was to protect my interest, and obviously in doing so I poked the idiot adjacent landowner in the eye with a sharp stick at the same time. I stayed narrowly within the law, but probably overstepped the "intent" of the law. It is not how I would ever hope to do business again.

Unless something changes radically, I believe the town and I are working for the same thing and things are going to get better quickly.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
This is what I wanted to hear! If you had not taken the steps you did. "Overwhelm and destroy" you would still be in the middle and no closer to your goal of simply doing business to make money. I am very glad to hear this outcome! Job well done. But always watch your 6. I dont trust what anyone tells me anymore unless its in writting.

kensfarm

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Bob.. now you can convert that truck into an ice-cream truck.. and sell ice-cream & ciggs to all the neighborhood children! :)

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Your truck is not ugly..........I would drive it! Good job on getting what you wanted with little bloodshed........... Of course now all the fun is over and we have to get back to regularly scheduled BS.......hehehehhhe LOL.