• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Increased Fuel Economy Mandate

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The US Senate has finally done something reasonably smart, they voted to raise the fuel economy standards. Now the question is will they back down on some of the regulations that make meeting the standards difficult? As expected, the American auto industry objects, funny but I can't find reports of Honda or Toyota complaining about it. Maybe if the US auto industry embraced what consumers wanted then Toyota and Honda wouldn't be kicking our butts?

In separate news, apparently the requirement to MANDATE ethanol pumps at fuel stations has been repealed. Good thing to, in my opinion. Now if only we can get the diesel emission standards relaxed a little bit we might see some real advances in fuel economy and the development of biodiesel in usable quantities at competitive prices.

Senate passes bill to raise mpg standards

Posted by Candace Lombardi
The U.S. Senate passed a bill Thursday night that would require automakers to sell cars that get significantly better mileage by 2020.

If the bill is also passed by the House of Representatives, Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards will be raised from the current 25 miles per gallon to 35 mpg.

Automakers would still be able to sell trucks and sport utility vehicles that get below the 35 mpg mark in 2020, as long as they have other cars in their lineup to bring up their overall fleet average.
Miles-per-gallon goals for each vehicle class, and a timeline to achieve the 2020 goal incrementally starting in 2011, would be set separately by CAFE regulators. This is the first time since 1975 that the government has sought to raise the standards for new cars and trucks.

The measure would save up to 1 billion gallons of gasoline every day as of 2020, according to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid.

"For the automakers that still waver on increasing fuel efficiency, I say this: Don't fight this change, embrace it. Embrace this opportunity to build the high-performance, high-efficiency cars and trucks that Americans want to buy and drive--which we so desperately need for the sake of our national security and global warming," Reid said on the Senate floor Friday morning, according to a statement from his office.

The measure is part of the National Energy and Environmental Security Act of 2007, a comprehensive energy bill that also includes incentives for reducing greenhouse gas emissions, developing alternative fuels and implementing energy efficient technology.

Car industry lobbyists, which included General Motors, Ford and the Chrysler group, strongly opposed the bill, arguing that it would hurt American automakers financially if they had to meet such strict standards so soon.

In a last-minute voice vote last night, the bill passed 65-27. governor on Friday to take over the seat.)

AndyM

Charter Member
Now if only we can get the diesel emission standards relaxed a little bit we might see some real advances in fuel economy...

Then we could get some decent commuter cars imported to this country!
With fuel at $3.00 per gallon, and many people who drive an hour each way to work, there's a market out there for these cars.

This VW with a three cylinder diesel gets 60+ miles per gallon, but is only available in Europe and Latin America... Hopefully we'll see such cars here sooner than later.

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    202.8 KB · Views: 72

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
And may I ask why you don't like about ethanol??:respect:

murph
I have nothing against ETHANOL but I do think that biodiesel is being overlooked, largely because of emissions regulations. Diesel is certainly more efficient, can be made from plants and, unlike ethanol can be pumped through pipelines. I also think that at some point fuel cell cars and hydrogen may be viable too. I just want to see the free market develop these things, without subsidies from the government, or if there will be subsidies then I want them to be for energy savings and include rebates for homeowners to switch to efficient lighting, add more attic insulation, upgrade their furnaces to higher efficiency units, etc.

The issue of foreign oil dependence, is to me, an issue of national security. Our lawmakers don't take it seriously, and tend to make patchwork laws.

Then we could get some decent commuter cars imported to this country!
With fuel at $3.00 per gallon, and many people who drive an hour each way to work, there's a market out there for these cars.

This VW with a three cylinder diesel gets 60+ miles per gallon, but is only available in Europe and Latin America... Hopefully we'll see such cars here sooner than later.
We have legislative problems with those vehicles and those are the types of barriers that prevent us from being efficient. First are the emissions issues, despite the fact that those are clean diesels, they are not clean enough according to our government. Second are the "bumper" requirements and other safety issues that add so much weight that we'd likely lose 5 to 7 mpg by the time all the regulations were met.

But I sure agree with you about some of the little VWs!!! SWEET CARS!!!

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
There are changes that could be made if lawmakers were serious about adressing the problem. For instance, traffic lights (stoplights) could be set to blink yellow on main roads after a certain time in the evening. Some intersections are too busy 24/7 to do this but you have to remember that before the stoplight was installed secondary road stop signs worked just fine. How about having auto insurance follow the driver instead of the vehicle. Alot of us would use a small high milage car for our daily driver but need a pick-up truck too. It makes no sense to pay to insure another car just to save less than that in fuel costs.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Well, I felt guilty about the CAFE of my fleet of cars and boats, so I put money down on a SMART car by Mercedes.

PV gets about 2-3 gallons a mile
My 17 foot drag boat gets alot less
My 15 foot Glaspar probably 4 miles a gallon
Jetski probably gets 8 miles a gallon
Cars probably average out about 20 mpg.
So the SMART car is my way of helping.

How about building roads so there is no traffic backups? I drive through Chicago every weekend. What an incredible waste of fuel with miles of cars in stop and go traffi, mostly stop.

But then it all goes back to what is the truth on oil? Well, one truth is every day we average more found reserves than we used that day. Another truth is there is about 140 years of known extractable reserves using today's technology, and at today's rate of expanded usage, and not counting the shale oil.

So why do we have to do this again?

P-O-L-I-T-I-C-S

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
And may I ask why you don't like about ethanol??:respect:

It's a net energy loss. It takes more energy (and causes more pollution) to grow, refine, and distribute than it contains.

It's a touchy, feely, nothing-product, invented to make politicians look good.

Bio-diesel is really something that could help us, but the gov't has such a hard-on for diesel emissions it will probably never get anywhere either.

Did you know that emissions are measured by the gallon of fuel burned, rather than mile traveled? Also, since diesel powered vehicle are 25-40% more efficient and gasoline they pollute less?