• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Big Storm rolling fast in the midwest

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This storm is traveling at 70 miles per hour. Original prediction was it would hit Indiana sometime during the middle of the night, now they are saying it will hit the western Chicago suburbs by 4pm this afternoon and Indiana by 5pm. They are calling it a "high intensity storm cell" with potential to do extreme damage and spawn tornadoes.

Its probably just past of DaveNay right now, at least the leading edge is past him the trailing edge is probably on top of him.

No tornadoes yet but the storm is moving at 70mph with winds that are reported to be 110 mph. . . so says Chicago radio. It will hit southern Wisconsin, all of northern Illinois cross all of northern Indiana and them hit southern Michigan and probably northwest Ohio.

Our satellite TV is going out intermittently already and the sky is still blue and reasonably sunny. I warmed up the generator and have anything that can blow around stuffed into the garages. Batten down the hatches, this will probably affect several of our members before it ends.

Attachments

• Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 116

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the heads-up Bob. It's a bit too far away to see if it's going to hit us but there's nothing in the local weather saying it'll do so.

Keep your heads low!!!

Speaking of generators, Costco has a nice deal on a Honeywell 7000w (8250w? peak) with a Honda engine right now. $999. Internet search has them rated high in quality and most places are selling them for $1600-$1800.

I didn't really need one but I picked one up anyway. A 7kw will run most anything my 15kw will do but uses significantly less fuel. Well, off to assemble it...

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Hang in there! I saw that on the radar earlier but it has gathered strength since then. Glad most of them get wrung out over the mountains before they get here.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ummm, Bill... there are no mountains between that storm and you. Some W NY foothills but are they big enough to slow this thing down?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
15 minutes after I posted that picture the hail and heavy rain started here. Sky went from sunny and blue to black. Satellite TV is out. Winds are picking up. This is a pretty amazing storm because it is rolling across the region at such a high rate of speed.

In the picture I posted you can see how far that storm is from the Indiana/Illinois state line. I live 1 mile east of that state line and we are already on the front edge of that stuff. The house has a roof with a 4' overhanging eves and the rain is pelting the windows, normally we can leave our windows open during most rain storms and still stay dry.

This thing will be in Ohio soon!

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Blew through St Joe. Started as a drizzle. People were out in their dinghies in the river. I was on shore sipping some wine and smoking one of man-o-wars. I told every one of them 70 mph winds were coming. Every one of these fools said, nah, it'll be to the south. I said no, I was watching it on radar.

The rain came. The wind came. Small hail came. I am sure they got very wet and had a very hard time controlling their little boats. I tried. You can't fix stooopid.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Its probably just past of DaveNay right now, at least the leading edge is past him the trailing edge is probably on top of him.

Oh yeah....I got hit good.

This is a Cat II Hurricane rated door!

Attachments

• 2010-06-18 16.12.16.jpg
    2010-06-18 16.12.16.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 105

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Dang Dave, that must have been a hellish wind to blast that rollup door open. Probably was 100 mph or more!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Ummm, Bill... there are no mountains between that storm and you. Some W NY foothills but are they big enough to slow this thing down?
They seem to lose some steam coming across Warren and McKean counties before they hit Potter and Steuben counties. We still get a lot of wind at my place as we are at 1960 ft. elevation and it is fairly clear to the sw.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh yeah....I got hit good.

This was a Cat II Hurricane rated door!

Dave, fixed it for you.

I've got a new pool in the yard, have been doing some work and the formerly firm ground is now bottomless muck. But no damage. Sorry to see your new barn got damaged. The winds were pretty brutal. The only good thing was it was over pretty quick.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not here yet, but the sky went from grey to BLACK and we are hearing thunder in the west. Temperatures have dropped 20 degrees (at least that was a good side effect).

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
This is Buckinham Fountain in Chicago during the first round of storms this afternoon.

For those of you not familiar with it, that water is usually shooting 40-50 ft straight up.

I heard there was a 79 mph gust in downtown Chicago.

20100618fountain01-thumb-500x332.jpg

Last edited:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I don't know how strong the wind was but it nearly blew the truck off the highway coming home from work today. Wicked southern winds. Was just talking to someone a few hours south of me and they were getting a blast of a thunder storm with strong winds. And that is north of the great lakes. So I don't envy you guys in the full brunt of the storm.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
My time estimate is wrong; at least another 45 minutes. But the wave that is coming now only has a little bit of "red" in it, so the next wave should not be so bad. Plus, with most of the red gone, as it comes over the cold lake, I think it looses a bit of power. The red may all be gone by the time it gets here.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
15 minutes after I posted that picture the hail and heavy rain started here. Sky went from sunny and blue to black. Satellite TV is out. Winds are picking up. This is a pretty amazing storm because it is rolling across the region at such a high rate of speed.

In the picture I posted you can see how far that storm is from the Indiana/Illinois state line. I live 1 mile east of that state line and we are already on the front edge of that stuff. The house has a roof with a 4' overhanging eves and the rain is pelting the windows, normally we can leave our windows open during most rain storms and still stay dry.

This thing will be in Ohio soon!

It hit here hard around 8:30. Not a pretty sight. High wind mostly, some rain, it moved through fast.
We are getting ready for round two, ETA.. 3-4AM. :neutral:

storm.jpg

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
:pray: for your safety PG and all in the way of the storm
Thanks hun, and yes, I hope those who haven't posted here since round 2 have gotten through it safely.

Right now it looks like it may be weakening a bit in the path that is headed directly toward me. I sure hope so.

S3.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Lucky for me, no damage here. Misha and I just came back inside after doing an early morning inspection of the property. Its so wet out there that you sink a little bit with each step just walking across the grass, but no property damage so I guess we got very lucky.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Glad to hear that second round appeared to fizzle up around your area too Bob.
Here, it miraculously went from what appeared to be another nasty one, down to virtually nothing but a little wind and drizzle.
Whew!