• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

4X4 Trail we tried yesterday.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I took my wife and kids out yesterday to go explore some back country trails. We live in a VERY RURAL area of Nevada. There were a couple of roads I have been wanting to go and check out for a long time. After gassing up and buying the usual trail food and drinks we took off. Below are pictures of both trails and a few pictures of a hike we took. Now here is the funny thing! Does a tree make a sound in the woods when it falls if no one is around to hear it? NO it doesnt. On our way back out the same trail we came up we discovered a tree had fallen and completely blocked the trail! Since I didnt have my chain saw and didnt feel like cutting it up with my axe. I decided to just winch it off the trail. Ran out of memory on the camera so the last picture is of the winching.

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 293
  • B.jpg
    B.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 290
  • C.jpg
    C.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 292

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I took the pictures while I had my wife drive. I have been teaching her how to properly drive a vehicle off road. In some areas we were at some extreme angles. I dont have pictures of those since I was on the passenger side. She was amazed at how far you can go before the trucks will roll.

Attachments

• D.jpg
    D.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 291
  • E.jpg
    E.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 298
  • F.jpg
    F.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 287

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
The wife and the two youngest kids. Found Mountain Lion scatt (poop) and some faint tracks from a few days earlier. I was armed and also carried the day pack with water and snacks.

Attachments

• G.jpg
    G.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 287
  • H.jpg
    H.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 283
  • I.jpg
    I.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 275

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Trail was cleared and that was it for the memory card. Had fun.

Attachments

• J.jpg
    J.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 274
  • K.jpg
    K.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 272

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Its a lot "greener" in those photos than I imagined it would be.

The lovely Mrs_B lived in El Paso for a couple years before we got married (she was getting her first master's degree at U.T.E.P.) and the land all around that area was some of the ugliest land I had ever seen. I always felt sorry for the soldiers who were stationed at Ft. Bliss. I've also spend a deal deal of time driving around New Mexico, the land is much more scenic there, but much of it is the same hue of grey/tan spotted with scrub and tumbleweeds.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good pics. I have a few ravines on my property I've considered making into a 4x4 challenge. I think it would be great fun. My wife is the sane one who worries about insurance and the libility issues involved. :pat:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
As far as scenery these pictures and this place really arent that good. Belmont Mine and Belmont Mill are spectacular! Cathedral Canyon is breath takeing. The wild horses are pretty cool too. These were just some side roads I wanted to check out.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Yes, its a 2005. We love it. The only modifications to date are 35" Super Swamper Trxus MTs and a Warn jumper cable set up.

cj7

Cool! I was on a trip with one in our group two years ago in MOAB, UT for the Easter Jeep Safari.

It just came into production. We had fun getting it past some of the rocks. We had one spot that we had about fives guys pushing on the side of the bed to twist it enough to clear by only an inch or to of a jagged rock edge.

If you read FourWheel and Off-Road you may have seen the truck.

Very impressed overall with the truck.

I am jeep biased but the Power Wagon is cool! Have fun with it!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I too was Jeep biased for years. But with 4 kids and a wife in tow half the time camping was no longer possible with the Jeep. Not enough room. Yes I even tried the Grand Cherokee route which worked until the two oldest became adult sized teenagers! Now we have plenty of room and can go anywhere we would or could have in the Jeep. Actually this Power Wagon smokes the Jeeps (weve had) off road!

cj7

yeah it can get tight in a CJ.. a buddy of mine just built a CJ-8 with two back seats...

we do some pretty hard trails at times...

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
We do medium rated trails or what ever we run into. Alot of times we will find a road completely washed out from winter or from thunder storms.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Yes we need to recalibrate the speedometer but that is as easy as pluging in the computer and telling it it now has 35" meats instead of the 33" it had from the factory. The tires dont rub since the truck came with a 2" Suspension lift from the factory as well.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Well on my way back from Disney Land we decided to check out a rather impassable trail (we made it no problem) One of the rear tires when it was stuffed up into the rear well did rub the inside of the fender flare. Thats it though. BUT it was really REALLY stuffed.

Snowcat Operations said:
Yes we need to recalibrate the speedometer but that is as easy as pluging in the computer and telling it it now has 35" meats instead of the 33" it had from the factory. The tires dont rub since the truck came with a 2" Suspension lift from the factory as well.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Snowcat Operations said:
Well on my way back from Disney Land we decided to check out a rather impassable trail (we made it no problem) One of the rear tires when it was stuffed up into the rear well did rub the inside of the fender flare. Thats it though. BUT it was really REALLY stuffed.
But it seems obvious that you forgot the golden rule: :weneedpic I'm sorry to tell you, but you have to go back and run it again, but this time with a camera.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I had to leave a day before are trip started to head to Las Vegas. I TOLD the wife not to forget the crappy Digital camera. She did. Actually its my fault. I new she would forget. Oh well next time I am down there I will hit the trail again.