• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bobcat ct235 ~ 2 hour old mini-review

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Took delivery of the new tractor this afternoon, a Bobcat CT235. Its the same basic tractor as the new Kioti/Daedong CK35 with some improvements and with a completely different loader.

Not the best tractor on the market, but not bad, and a really good value. Honestly I loved the New Holland 2035 and consider it a much better designed tractor, but also, just as honestly, given the deal deal that I received from my dealer, combined with the manufacturer's incentives which included a free front end loader and some additional cash I simply could not justify the price difference to buy the nicer New Holland. Had the price difference been in the $2000 to $3000 range I would have grabbed the New Holland, but the price differential was well north of $6000 and frankly that is not justifiable.

I did NOT get the bucket that I ordered, its out of stock. So the dealer delivered the tractor to me with a skid-steer bucket. Not ideal, but as I'm moving dirt at least I have a bucket! The skid-steer bucket has too much capacity for this tractor, the loader can lift a full bucket, but its slow, and its very very tippy. I'm looking forward to getting the correct, smaller, bucket. Without the weightbox on the 3pt, the rear wheels simply lift off the ground, this was surprising given the 900+ pounds of fluid in the rear tires and the 3000+ pounds of tractor under my butt. Like I said, the bucket is simply too large. However they said it would likely be 3 to 4 weeks before my bucket arrives and I didn't want to wait for the tractor so I took the loaner bucket.

The seat is amazingly comfortable. :wow: Never sat on a tractor with such a nice suspension seat. This is not the standard seat, its the upgraded commercial use Bobcat deluxe seat and its got a full suspension system. The beauty of it is it is not a 'bouncy' suspension seat, it absorbs shock but allows some 'road feel' and yet it doesn't bounce.

The 3 range hydrostatic transmission is rough to shift between ranges and gets stuck, sometimes shifting from LO to MED puts you all the way into HI, sometimes you just get into NEUTRAL between LO and MED, sometimes you pass MED but get into NEUTRAL before hitting HI. Sometimes it shifts smoothly, but that seems rare. This is one of those things that comes into the 'trade off' category for buying a value tractor.

There is a cheap plastic fuel filler cap cover that I'm waiting to break. My guess is it will last a few months? It doesn't belong on a tractor.

The ignition switch hits my right knee, I should say the key brushes against my right knee, I think its in the wrong place. Good looking placement but not great ergonomics.

There is a horn button on the dash, I guess that is there to honk the horn so my wife can run a cold beer out to me? Honestly its a nice feature, but of limited use.

I really, REALLY, dislike the 4wd lever being under my left foot and being required to bend down to grasp it for engagement/disengagement. This is just piss poor ergonomics. New Holland places this on the fender with a lever, you can work and engage/disengage 4wd without taking your eyes off your work. This lever placement is a copy of the older Kubota design and it sucks!

I like the grill guard, its well placed, sturdy and seems like it will keep branches away from the grill and front of the hood. It also does not block the headlamps, it does, however, block some access to the front of the engine compartment . . . no way to avoid that, so its not a criticism just an observation.

The loader control is in a very good location and well shaped. It does not block entry/exit to the right side of the tractor as is the case on some brands. It functions well and seems to be smooth. The control knob is also well shaped and fills the hand.

The radiator pre-screen requires you raise the hood, remove a side panel, and raise the FEL (forcing you to work under the raised FEL) to simply remove the pre-screen for cleaning. Given the fact that that screen, at least on my property, gets clogged up every 3 to 4 hours of run time, this is again really piss-poor design.

There is a hydraulic oil filter exposed under the tractor, the FEL hose Quick Connects are also exposed under the tractor. I don't like that, but since I can't find too many cases of them being reported as being damaged on any of the forums I'm going to say that while I would not have put them there, they are probably high enough and safe enough that its more an issue in my mind than anything else.

Headlights seem to be strong and well placed, there are both Low and High beams, they shine above the top edge of the bucket when transporting a bucket load of dirt. I ordered the optional rear utility light, the switch is small, its also not rubber armored like on the New Holland and some other brands, but it seems to be adequate.

Overall, despite my complaints above, I'm happy with the choice. Critical of it? Yes. Its not the best out there. However for the price it was a really good deal and for that I can overlook some of the poor ergonomics.

Attachments

• 1a02.jpg
    1a02.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 1a03.jpg
    1a03.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 1a04.jpg
    1a04.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 1a05.jpg
    1a05.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 1a06.jpg
    1a06.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 1a01.jpg
    1a01.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 85

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BTW this is a 34hp tractor, after using it on my hills, I firmly believe that the same tractor in 25hp is nothing better than an abortion. But packed with a 34hp engine its well sized.

Attachments

• 1a12.jpg
    1a12.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 1a11.jpg
    1a11.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 1a10.jpg
    1a10.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 84
  • 1a09.jpg
    1a09.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 1a08.jpg
    1a08.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 1a07.jpg
    1a07.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 84

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
more photos

Attachments

• 1a13.jpg
    1a13.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 1a14.jpg
    1a14.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 1a15.jpg
    1a15.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 1a16.jpg
    1a16.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 1a17.jpg
    1a17.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 1a18.jpg
    1a18.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 80

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
more

Attachments

• 1a19.jpg
    1a19.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 1a20.jpg
    1a20.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 1a21.jpg
    1a21.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 1a22.jpg
    1a22.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 79

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
nice little tractor you are right about the air cleaner abd from the pic i'm guessing it wouldn't be too hard to fab up an effective brush guard most hydraulic filters are pretty stout but a guard ma give you a bit of piece of mind when clearing land.

ps love those back tires need a set of 4 for my jeep than i could ford some water

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I seem to remember that the transmission filter on the Kioti's is one of those things that many owners end up ripping off if they do any serious rough terrain work. Looks like they haven't addressed that issue.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looking at the photos I can't believe I got it that dirty in only 2 hours. It was delivered spotlessly clean.

Yes, the transmission filter is the one in one of the photos that is hanging down under the tractor, that is one of the features that I think is poorly designed.

BTW, I didn't take a detailed photo of the ROPS, but there are screw knobs, with locking nuts, that hold it in place, while those keep the ROPS from clattering, they also prevent it from being quickly dropped or raised. Basically you need a wrench to loosen the nuts, then you unscrew the knobs, then you pull a couple pins, then you can drop the ROPS that is not very user friendly for people who need to raiser/lower their ROPS frequently.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good review and pics Bob!!! :thumb:
Congrats on your new tractor.
I am surprised at the size of the tractor. It looks small to me for a 35hp unit. What is the PTO HP on that puppy?
The loaner bucket sure does look over-sized for the tractor. :eek:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The tractor is actually pretty large, larger than a Kubota L3400 or L3130. That bucket on the front end is HUGE and it makes the whole tractor look tiny. I parked the tractor next to my sister-in-law's Cutlass station wagon and the tractor (with bucket) is longer than her station wagon by a couple inches.

Tractor weight = 3056# + 900# of fluid fill in tires = 2 tons (prior tractor was about 1800#)
Engine HP = 34
PTO hp = 26.5 (2.5 hp more than my old tractors Engine HP)
Length = 122.2 inches
Width = 55.4"
Height = 95.9"
Lift capacity @ 24" behind 3pt = 1509 pounds​
To put that into some perspective, a well known tractor to many folks is the Kubota L3400 (which I also considered)
L3400 Weight = 2600#
Engine HP = 34.2 (net)
PTH hp = 28.5 hp
Length = 106.5"
Width= 51.4"
Height = 85.0
Lift capacity @ 24" behind 30t = 1435 pounds​
Initially when shopping I dismissed the L3400 as too large, but as I searched more I realized the only way to get more capacity is to go up to this class size. The L3400 is very similar in size, but slightly shorter/narrower/lighter (not bad) with similar capacity. The Kubota dealer was not dealing and honestly I liked the New Holland so much better than the L3400 that it was easy to dismiss the L3400 from the running. Feature for feature, the Bobcat is nicer than the L3400 with more features that are useful like the extendable lower links, and features that mean less like rubber mats. Kubota dealer basically would not deal because he is actually having a great sales year on various equipment (he sells multiple lines).

I detailed the specs of the New Holland 2035 in another thread, no reason to duplicate them here. That is a more powerful, nicer built, better tractor than the Bobcat, but the Bobcat's deal w/incentives, was too good to pass.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Great review & pics MD , thanks for sharing . I couldn,t help but notice in pic 3 of the first set of photos , It looks like something has rubbed the inside of the front left tire , just curious what might have caused the rub ?

Also that looks fairlly similiar the My 2009 chinese made YTO & I,m really happy with it . But trust me the 4WD lever on yours is very handy compared to mine :w00t2: . Mine is mounted on the side of the gearbox & I dont know if its the newness that makes it so hard to move in & out of 4WD but I cannot do it from the seat , I have to dismount off of the tractor shift it , Very unhandy . :unsure:

You are correct on the fuel lid as well , save yourself some grief & remove it if you can , I tore mine off fueling the first time :yum: .

I hope you have great luck with it :biggrin:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Great review & pics MD , thanks for sharing . I couldn,t help but notice in pic 3 of the first set of photos , It looks like something has rubbed the inside of the front left tire , just curious what might have caused the rub ?

Probably run along side a stump that's gonna catch that hydraulic filter soon .............. Don't ask me how I know, and mines tucked horizontal along the frame. That will be one to look out for Bob!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That lift capacity seems low. My Kubota L3010 (predecessor of the 3130) shows 3090lbs lift. they did not mention if they are calculating from 24" back or not, so this might not mean a whole lot. I know how they play with those capacity's.
Otherwise my Grand L3010 is similar in width and PTO HP (25.5).
source: http://www.everythingattachments.com/Kubota-L3010-Attachments-Specs-s/3967.htm
Doc, I don't have the old spec sheets anymore but Kubota historically posted BOTH the lift points and 24" behind them. There is typically about a 25% difference between the two numbers with the lift points being the first number, and the higher number. I suspect your number is the lift point number. I suspect your capacity at 24" back is roughly 2300#, give or take.

FWIW, the Grand L tractors out lifted EVERYTHING else in their size class the last time I did a comparison.

I couldn,t help but notice in pic 3 of the first set of photos , It looks like something has rubbed the inside of the front left tire , just curious what might have caused the rub ?
Probably run along side a stump. . .
Just a guess, but I'm filling in the old pool and was running along the old metal frame. The area where I was dumping fill was right along that frame and the left tire was running in line with it as I would back out of the hole. I'd bet that is what it is, but I'll be on the lookout for something else.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've never seen such an elaborate seat on a tractor. :eek: I bet that is comfortable for sure!!!! That is a huge plus in my book. :thumb:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc there are 4 different controls to adjust that seat. Best money I ever spent!

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Great pics and great review. Thanks Bob. I agree that a $6K difference is hard to turn down.

My Kubota L4740 has the 4-wheel drive lever in the same place and I agree that it is a little awkward at first but I soon got used to it. It does have something though that I do envy (apart from the seat ... that's a beauty), it has a full opening hood. Opening the hood, removing both side panels and then the front panel in order to get access to the screens and radiators for cleaning is a chore. Especially this year when everything is so dry and dusty. Having to stop every 2 - 3 hours to clean screens to stop it from overheating when bush hogging gets to be annoying.

Congrats on your new TOY.

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
Wow that seat looks nice! Wow that bucket looks huge!

How about some details on the Oldsmobile Cutlass Cruiser wagon in the background?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
How about some details on the Oldsmobile Cutlass Cruiser wagon in the background?
The paint is peeling off the hood and the roof.

The drivers door does not close all the way so its a bit breezy in the winter and wet during rain storms, but since NONE of the windows will roll down and the AC has been dead for several years, having that breezy crack around the frame of the drivers door is the only ventilation that you get.

Oh, for Christmas last year I gave her a 12-volt seat heater mat because the heat doesn't work either, but the cigarette lighter does :wink:

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
The paint is peeling off the hood and the roof.

The drivers door does not close all the way so its a bit breezy in the winter and wet during rain storms, but since NONE of the windows will roll down and the AC has been dead for several years, having that breezy crack around the frame of the drivers door is the only ventilation that you get.

Oh, for Christmas last year I gave her a 12-volt seat heater mat because the heat doesn't work either, but the cigarette lighter does :wink:

Sounds like a pillar of GM quality.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A couple more hours on the clock and I am really thinking this huge Skid Steer bucket is as dangerous as it is silly to mount on this tractor. It simply has too much capacity and, even with calcium fluid filled rear tires and a weight box filled with concrete, rock and brick, its just to easy to lift the rear tires off the ground.

Bear in mind this is NOT my bucket, its a loaner bucket from the dealer because my bucket was out of stock. A normal bucket for this tractor is either 62" or 68". The dealer normally sells them with a 68" bucket, I opted for the 62" bucket because I have heavy/hard clay soil and I've found digging into piles is easier with a slightly smaller bucket. So while I wait for my bucket to arrive, I am using the Skid Steer bucket.

I don't know what the volume capacity is for the Skid Steer bucket but its enough that if I actually get a full bucket the loader barely lifts it, and then only does so in slow motion. Worse, when I have a full/nearly full bucket I tend to skid coming down the hill, even in LO range and 4wd.

None of the above is a complaint about the tractor, its clearly doing what it can do to struggle with the big capacity bucket and full capacity loads in that bucket.

In HIGH range 4wd this tractor will barely chug up my hills, engine bogs down and revs drop. At over 2 tons with fluid fill and weight box this tractor is matched well to the 34hp engine I specified. Same tractor is also available with a 30hp or a 25hp engine. The 30hp would probably be worthy on flatter ground, the 25hp would likely be a huge freaking mistake unless you only drove downhill or unless you simply didn't know any better. I cannot imagine the 25hp model managing a tiller in my soil, my 24hp New Holland could barely manage a 48" tiller and a 60" mowing deck, add 2200# of tractor and you'd have a massive machine with tiny implements if you ordered this Bobcat with the 25hp engine. However with the 34hp power unit it does very well. The hill climbs, in MED range are effortless and travel speed is quick enough through the trails that you are not left wanting.

I'm still loving the seat :applause:

I'm reserving judgement on the loader controls because I am finding its a bit too jumpy sometimes and sluggish other times and I suspect that it related to the loads in the bucket, but the more I use the loader level the more I wish it had a larger knob. Initial impressions were that it was good, after more use I'd say its OK but I may look for a larger knob to replace this one.

My left elbow has engaged the rear PTO accidently . . . this goes back to my criticism of the ergonomic design. Slightly more care in placement, size and shape of the controls could easily avoid accidental engagement/disengagement.

The engine runs pretty smoothly but makes a distinctive clatter unlike any other diesel that I've run. Most diesels 'rumble' but this one has some sort of clatter to its normal sound. Still its smooth enough so I don't think the clatter is a problem, just a characteristic of the design.

Everything I've ever said about using a heavy tractor on the lawn is confirmed by use, again. It ruts. No two ways around that. But then this was not purchased for mowing so I'm not overly concerned about that. Its weight will help it do what I want to do.

Fit and finish is spotty. Some areas are excellent, others not so much. The trailing edge of the hood is rolled steel and a fitted against plastic, but not fitted well and the edge of the steel, which is rolled 90-degrees, is rough and visible. Other areas show great fit with even spacing between panels. The overall look is very nice. As with other parts of the tractor, it seems like some things are lost in the details.

My tractor has plexiglas mud/debris guards at the front of the operators platform on either side of the engine compartment. In other people's reviews and in the brochures these are complimented, but for the life of me I don't know what they actually do. Mine are clean, save for some dust. I've now operated in dry and wet conditions, uphill & down, digging and dumping loads and I see no debris, dirt clods, etc on them. Perhaps they are more for show and less for anything else? Not complaining about this but I just have not seen their purpose.

The operators platform is very large, some 2' front to rear. Much of that platform is in front of the pedals and really serves no purpose. Have any of you ever put your feet on the other side of the clutch? Or reached your legs past the brakes? Still I guess I'd rather have the extra space than not, it might make for a good platform to sit a lunchbox or something?

Seems like I am spending a lot of time writing about the shortcomings of the tractor :bonk: Believe it or not, I actually like this tractor. I'm planning to put a large toolbox behind the seat, not really looked at how I will do that, but I had one behind the seat of my New Holland it was in constant use, this tractor will get one too, when I figure out what will fit and how to mount it back there. Its not a high priority job right now. I'm also looking at adding some lights to the ROPS for snowblowing season. If I do that I'll have to get cracking on that project soon.