• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Out of gas

Tractors4u

Site Supporter
I haven't done this in over 20 years! I knew I was low, but had a lot on my mind this morning and forgot. Got gas on the way though.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Been there done that, got the t-shirt! :D

Remember the Seinfield episode where Krammer would see how far he could go without getting gas. I've tried that. Always fun ....until you run out.

Did you have to walk far?
Did you have to buy a gas can?

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
I don't worry about that.

I always have gas....:doh:

I guess that's a Different thread....:blink:

jwstewar

Did that a few weeks ago when gas was still climbing. Gas had been I'll say $3.19 in the morning. Then when I got off work it had jumped to $3.49. Made me mad so I refused to stop for gas on my way home from work on Thursday. Low fuel light came on about 15 miles from home. Took the kids to school Friday morning (2 miles each direction). Picked them up Friday afternoon. Saturday morning I head to town to pick up chemicals so I can close the pool. I tell Monica I'm going to stop and get gas at the Sunoco (opposite corner from the school). I run out about half way there. I sit there while Monica has to get dressed and get the 3 kids ready to bring me a gas can 1.5 miles from home.:bonk:

Tractors4u

Site Supporter
Been there done that, got the t-shirt! :D

Remember the Seinfield episode where Krammer would see how far he could go without getting gas. I've tried that. Always fun ....until you run out.

Did you have to walk far?
Did you have to buy a gas can?

437 miles in the Volvo, of course I have been running this piss out of it this tank. I have went further.

Did not have to walk at all. I work on an Army base and had just talked to my mom who was at the PX. I called her and she went and bought a gas can and gas.

Beware, there is a new style gas can with a different style filler tube. It is not the standard Blitz self venting job. This one has a lever like a gas pump that you have to squeeze to let the gas flow. It will be great for filling a mower and not spilling gas every where, but the filler tube is so short that it would not go in far enough to push that little flap open in the gas hole. (That sounds really dirty). I had to get a pencil and put in there to open it up to let the gas in. I will take a picture of this new style can later.

Thoeralex

Just ran out this Sunday. Had a 550km drive home from a meet, a full 70 liter tank and, due to some electrical trouble with the car, en empty wallet. I ran out (a lot sooner than normal, still due to that electrical trouble) after 537km, with only 25km left. Midway between two cities, at 5 in the morning.Then i had to wait 3 hours for someone to stop so i could borrow phone and call a tow truck. And another hour before the truck arrived.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I did it once years ago. Not because I knew it was low and didn't get get but because I had no idea. For some reason, the fuel guage on my car became stuck at 3/4's of a tank. I figured it was getting pretty good gas mileage until I went out one morning and it wouldn't even fire. The guage still read 3/4's. After I filled up, the guage worked fine again. As a rule, I rarely let my vehicles get below 1/4 tank.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
62 years old and never done it in a car. I did get real close once. Did it once or twice in the tractor though. I'm one of those that never lets the tank get below 1/4 full.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
True story, my wife can confirm ..........

Did it once, 1984. CJ7 on the way to Sturgis towing a motorcycle. Going through Sioux Falls at 5:30 AM realized I needed gas, decided to wait until I got on the west side of town. When I got there found there was nothing there or open. Hit 2 exits with nothing open. Leaving the second exit to try and make it to the next the Jeep sputtered as I got back on the interstate. Turned her eastbound in the west bound lanes and went back up the exit I just came off. Made it to the top of the over pass and she died but had the momentum to coast into a station I had just checked, waited till 7:00 when they opened ............... and by the time they opened they had a line of 5 cars at a 2 pump station waiting to get gas ...... :biggrin: .... on a Sunday!

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
Thought i had run out of Gas once...was driving a Truck full of Plumbing supplies into central London and my first day on the job....Truck died and i called the office and then they say"o sorry we forgot to mention Gas Gauge dont work proper"...

Walked a few miles and got a large can full...no luck....turns out the Fuel injector pump just quit for the fun of it and had a long wait for the Tow Truck and ride home.

Blocking Traffic in London is no fun....man i got called some things that i would not even repeat here:yum::yum::yum:

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I never trust the fuel guages on any of the trucks I drive, I use a stick poked down into the fuel tank and see for myself. I haven't a clue what to do about pumping the diesel up again if I run out, so I try to make sure that it doesn't happen.

ghautz

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
When I first got my driver's license, I ran around in my dad's jeep. The gas gauge didn't work. We carried a jerry can on the back with 5 gallons in it. When we ran out of gas, we just emptied the can into the tank and went on our way, with the intent of filling the can and the tank at the next opportunity. One day I ran the tank dry and emptied the can. Dad wasn't very happy when he ran out a few days later, went to put the 5 gallons in it and found out I forgot to tell him the can was empty.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Ran out about 2 years ago in my Prius of all things. Seems the little gas gremlins on the screen still showed 3 bars but none in tank. Apparently the bladder in the tank needs time to stretch when filling up. Put a new fuel pump in my pickup this winter but I still reset the trip odometer as the old pump's gauge had not worked right for the last 8 years. Ran out in a backhoe years ago. The hill was so steep the fuel pickup was uphill sucking air with almost a 1/2 tank still in it. Priming diesels sucks.