• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Going to need to buya new Box Scraper .

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I been ripping the land for a new pasture and I have way too much traction for my 6' box . I snapped two factory welds. Guess I need a super HD model . I just pulled a ripper right through the 4x4x3/8 wall steel tube that holds the rippers in place . Holy cow !!!!

I can tell when i am getting too much traction as the tractor just kinda squats down and I can actually feel the torque when I hook a big rock .
Guess I better start ripping in 2 wheel drive .:sad:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't you have a disc? Damned if i would rip it for a pasture. You only need a 2-3 inch depth for the drill to seed it anyway. If it ever dries up we are going to bottom plow my one hayfield to sew oats and clover. That will be more rocks than I want to deal with. I will get the lunkers off with the skid steer and then disc it and sow it.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Don't you have a disc? Damned if i would rip it for a pasture. You only need a 2-3 inch depth for the drill to seed it anyway. If it ever dries up we are going to bottom plow my one hayfield to sew oats and clover. That will be more rocks than I want to deal with. I will get the lunkers off with the skid steer and then disc it and sow it.

Yes I have a offset tandam disc . The land has not been well taken care of and I am going down about 8-10 inches with the rippers in one pass . Very little rock . I plan to go over everything with my 6 ' rototiller to provide a good seed bed.
I got about 3 acres done today and my back is feeling it . I have 11 acres to go .......
I may be draggin a 4 bottom plow back from Calif next week .

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Allen take a look at the MIDWEST brand, they make very nice heavy duty box blades. Actually they make medium duty and heavy duty lines, so make sure you look at their heavy duty stuff. They make implements for several brands of tractors as well as their own line. Kioti box blades are made by Midwest.

Another good brand is Buhler/Farm King. Its a Canadian brand, been around a long time, their stuff is not quite as nice as the stuff from Midwest but is usually a little less expensive.

I spent the afternoon on the Bobcat with the landscape rake going over the septic field we put in for the guest house. It was very rough but the ground has been so wet here that I couldn't get out without sinking into the clay. While you used your box blade to dig down, I just wanted to smooth the surface without tearing out the septic system, consequently I was using a heavy tine Midwest landscape rake. Good stuff that Midwest, if you can find a box blade from them you'll love it.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks Bob ! I'll start keeping my eyes open for one .

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
rototilling isn't going to kill the grass for a new pasture.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
rototilling isn't going to kill the grass for a new pasture.

I really did not want to kill the grass anyway . It puts up a great hay crop . The problem is it is so beaten down and rutted that harvesting is the main problem .

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a home made heavy roller that was towed behind my seeder on freshly till ground. It smoothed it out . Pushed what rocks I had down.
Now on the established area I have a heavy drag made from a ship anchor chain.The 12" links do a good job on any high spots. Any deep holes ,like from horses it isn't much good.