• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Back-up heat

BRGTold

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Why would'nt someone have at least a space heater,..Its Cold..been doing service and installs..of hvac..Went to a 75yr. old guys house yesterday..when we went in at 2:00 pm it was 52 in his house..and he was sitting there in his coveralls..we went back and got two of the oiled filled space heaters..12 yr. old furnace in a 12yr. old house....88 percent ?..PVC flew and intake..that was melted and had been on fire..busted heat exchanger..We finished up his new furnace install this morning..another Gal called no heat w/5 kids in the house.. when we walked in she had the oven on,dryer running ,and was on the phone trying to borrow money..to have her furnace repaired..her husband was just shipped off to packistan...we installed a new transformer and a new thermostat..after decodeing everything the brother and uncle had done:w00t2:...Got it repaired ..And told her to Thank her husband for his service..NO CHARGE...I think she was about to cry....But back to why would'nt people have someback-up..B,

loboloco

Damfino. I currently have a gas central unit, an infrared heater, 2 ceramic and a forced air portable, a propane mobile with a stack vent system that goes out the window, a kerosene heater, and an old military gasoline heater(which I never use, that thing is dangerous).
Of course, these have been collected and saved over the years. Maybe for some folks it's economic, for others just not thinking through the problem.
Even if all else here failed I could open the fireplace and burn a few sticks of wood.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Even if all else here failed I could open the fireplace and burn a few sticks of wood.

Like you, the wood burning fireplace is a last resort. Besides, without power for the blower, it's just a pretty thing to watch but I suppose it would still supply some heat.

My worry has always been losing power during the winter, even in Texas. We have gas heat but without power for the fans and thermostat, it doesn't work too well or at all. I need to change out those thermostats so at least they have battery back up. Then I might be able to hook the generator up to the fans and make the system work.

With power, or the generator, we have 110 volt heaters for what they are worth. Without power we have 1 propane heater and a Big Buddy propane heater and 6 full 20# tanks. If it comes down to it we have a kerosene heater and enough fuel to last a week so we won't freeze to death.

As a very last resort I still have all the gear I used in Wyoming at 30 below. :yum:

Why do people have no back-up?. Possibly finances, possibly the inability to plan ahead or perhaps the idea that it won't happen to them. I dunno.

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Got it repaired ..And told her to Thank her husband for his service..NO CHARGE...I think she was about to cry....But back to why would'nt people have someback-up..B,

You are a good man for doing this.

If I can figure it out, I'll send you reps.

Bob

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
:w00t2:...Got it repaired ..And told her to Thank her husband for his service..NO CHARGE...I think she was about to cry....But back to why would'nt people have someback-up..B,

Reps for you. I am in the same business and sometimes we help out when we can also. Usually they don't say anything.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
BRGTold i think you aer going to hold the reps for a day record i just gave you some to thanks for your service as a civilian.

BRGTold

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey Thanks Guys...For the reps.......Clear a couple things up..only two of the kids was hers...guess she babysits the other 3..all preschool...and her husband was just shipped off to Afganistan not pacistan..Thanks it was the least we could do.. Byron:smile: