• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Front differential problems

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a mid 80,s Iseki 255 landpride tractor . 4WD 3 cyl 25 hp deisel ( Japanese ) . Never had any problems till recentlly & dont have a manual .

last week the Front end while in 4wd started making a clunking noise while digging dirt out of the river bank & I quicklly disengaged the 4wd & continued to use it for several hours with no further problems .

I finally decided to take a look at it & was moving it to my big shop & the front wheels tryed to lock up just for a split second in 2 wd . I could see the steering knuckles jerking at the same time . This happened a few times at fairlly low speed & I was able to get it in the shop with no further damage .

I,ve never been into the front end on any tractor but basiclly have an idea of whats inside , But was wondering if anyone would maybe have a cutaway diagram of a similiar type of tractor & any thoughts to what I might look for first before I tear into it . Parts can be hard to find as I understand & dont want it tore apart if I dont think I can fix it reasonablly . I just need an idea of what I,m getting into . Thanks for any input :biggrin:

loboloco

Cowboy, I would look at the front differential. Sounds like it is locking up. Not sure, because I won't work on 4w drive tractors.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
ive been inside a few amercain built awd tractors i would look first at wheel bearings and axle knuckle joints those are the moost comoon failures and those tractors have a high angle double u-ljoint that looks like that cv-joint in your old chevy pu front drive shaft when the u- jooint gets loose it can catch and bind on internal parts in the knuckle if the differential is going bad the most likely problem is a bad pinion bearing if that happened than you might have damage the ring and pinion gear you should be able to jackup the front end shake and spin things around to find the problem

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Cowboy, I would look at the front differential. Sounds like it is locking up. Not sure, because I won't work on 4w drive tractors.

I dont blame Ya for not working on 4wd Lobo , I have worked on several older model trucks & jeeps & there a piece of cake for me , But this is an entire different animal as far as I can see so far .

Theres no inspection plate & it looks like the drivline needs to be removed to remove the 3rd member & it aint no normal driveline I ever seen . The axles would also have to be removed first , But I,m hoping for an outside bearing or gear problem as I think I can buy those parts if needed . If its in the 3rd member I,ll reduce the price & sell it as is . Thanks for the input . :biggrin:

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
ive been inside a few amercain built awd tractors i would look first at wheel bearings and axle knuckle joints those are the moost comoon failures and those tractors have a high angle double u-ljoint that looks like that cv-joint in your old chevy pu front drive shaft when the u- jooint gets loose it can catch and bind on internal parts in the knuckle if the differential is going bad the most likely problem is a bad pinion bearing if that happened than you might have damage the ring and pinion gear you should be able to jackup the front end shake and spin things around to find the problem

Thanks Don , Thats what I,m hoping for is an outside bearing or gear . But I cant find a breakdown on whats actually in there but as far as I know theres no Ujoint like on most 4wd ,s , but I could be wrong .

I was hoping someone might have something similiar that might have a manual with the pics or actually tore into one before so I have an idea if there are pressed in bearings & such .

I,ve searched for years on the internet & cant find anything on the Iseki tractors as far as repair or parts manuals unless I buy a set of 3 manuals for it in Japanese for damn near 200 bucks that I dont even know if they show pics worth a damn or not . I,ve only found 1 other guy that has the exact same model as mine & he dont have manuals either :hammer: .

I,d just like to know what I,m getting into before I open it up . Thanks for the reply :wink:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the units i have worked on have been quite a bit larger than what you are describing case john deere and cat they akk shared the same front axle design double u- joints and a planatary hub once you take the hub and plannets off it looks just like your dana 20 in a jeep 2 bearings and a spindel remove the spindle with the knuckle streight and the axle slides out just went up to look at a old 644 john deere so perhaps shortly i will be part of the tractor click to

Last edited:

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
check Massey Ferguson 15 series manuals.
As I recall, those are built for MF by Iseki.