• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Computer issues ...know your DNS server

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had a issue I have not ever had before, and it threw me for a loop. Like most everybody, I use DHCP. I've never set the DNS manually since Win 95 or maybe XP there has been no need.

But last Weds all the sudden no web sites would show up. I had issues with my connection. Sometimes it would be okay saying internet, but I could not display web pages. Other times it was a limited connection (home network only). But I could still putty / ssh to servers. So, I knew I had partial access to network but no HTTP access. Very strange. So I zeroed in on the router. I switched back to my old router. Issue remained the same.

Diagnosing the issue on my laptop would tell me DNS was not resolving. I still thought it was a network issue. Called my ISP. No joy. Crazy.

Finally I used my phone to search how to change DNS servers in Win 8.1. Found a few web sites with that answer. It was easy to do, but without the instructions it was not so obvious where it was or how to change it. Once I changed my DNS to the ones provided by OpenDNS (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220) everything started to work again. :wow:

This made no sense at all to me. How in the heck did the IP for my DNS server get changed in my TCP options? I am absolutely positive I did not change it. I could find not trojans, malware or viruses. I'm very glad to be back in action but still confused as to what the heck happened.

But I wanted to post this in case you see something similar you can zero in on the solution quicker than I.

Kane

Don't piss off the Chinese, Doc, or stuff like this will happen.

WTF? Now everyone on FF has prolly had their personal info stolen ...

...... or not. :whistling:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Did you try the command ipconfig /dnsflush followed by an ipconfig /refresh (or is it renew?). That's always resolved DNS issues for me.

BTW - Doc, is posting the info on the internet kind of moot if you can't get to the internet or the forum. :)

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Did you try the command ipconfig /dnsflush followed by an ipconfig /refresh (or is it renew?). That's always resolved DNS issues for me.

BTW - Doc, is posting the info on the internet kind of moot if you can't get to the internet or the forum. :)
Yep, did the dnsflush and that did not fix things. also did the /release and ipconfig /renew to no avail.

I posted it on the internet because the internet is what helped me get fixed, via searching with my cell phone.

But I also believe forewarned you could log your DNS server. By knowing how to see what your DNS server is set to, you know what it should be and if it has somehow been changed, and you would know how to set it back to what you want it to be, if you took the time to check it all out.

Still trying to find a hint as to how mine was changed.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I usually use OpenDNS or Google DNS. Both are fairly reliable. Occasionally, a DNS cache flush is called for though.

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
I have had this issue a few times.

My first bromide is [netsh int ip reset x.x] (Without brackets)

That will reset the IP stack completely. a reboot after that is a good idea.

Since I do a lot of Windows servers, I often have to point the DNS at the server for the domain functions to work and I usually use one of the Open DNS servers for the second DNS server.

If not on a domain, I usually fix my DNS with one server on Open DNS and the other on Google DNS. I have had too much trouble with Verizon and Cable DNS servers being down.

Usually when I put in a router, I set the DHCP server to serve the same Open DNS Google DNS mix. By default, it serves itself as the DNS server and I have had trouble with that.

P. S. I get a major chuckle from all the MAC users that feel that they have to Pee on the parade of windows users. For years you said MAC's don't get viruses. News Scoop!! They do. MAC recommends anti virus software. They are computers like any other and have problems like any other. For a long time there were not enough of them to make it worth the while of Crooks to exploit them. As their installed base grows it becomes more worthwhile targets, all the while you smugly motor along thing you are on easy street. All the better for the crooks as you get caught off guard. The Internet is not a nice place. So far as the hardware and O/S. It is a good product. It is far easier to make an O/S more stable when you control hardware that it runs on and the software that runs on it. The mainframe manufacturers proved that back in the good ole' days. A quick search says that there are about two billion PC's in operation in the world. I don't think that Apple cannot match that volume of production and maintain the control of both hardware and software.

As all you MAC folks are gassing up your flame throwers, Please just remember that my comments are not derogatory to the MAC as is is a good system. Just folks that have to pee on others parade and not be helpful in any way.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Usually when I put in a router, I set the DHCP server to serve the same Open DNS Google DNS mix. By default, it serves itself as the DNS server and I have had trouble with that.

That was part of my problem. I usually go with OpenDNS servers but did not when I set up my new router. I went with the default. I hate to feed more info to google so I avoid their DNS servers.

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
Can't blame you there Doc.

There are a bunch of open dns servers that are not Google. Search "Free fast public DNS"