• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New service......

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Yesterday.....we went from12 to 15 mbs to 100 mbs......Wow what a difference!!!

we are now on Fiber to the house.....and I thought dial up to sat......was some change!!!!

all for less than 1/2 of what we were paying the sat company!!!

we had two tvs on at the same time...one on direct tv....and the second one to the fiber.....when the tec turned on the fiber tv...I thought mom was going to jump out of her nickers!!!!

we now have our TV Phone , and internet on fiber and the monthly bill figures up to less than 1/2 of the three before....

Im not sure I need all this speed but it sure is neet!! NOW...where is that camel toe forum????????

Just in our area of the lake there are over 1800 custermers....probably 3/4 of them had Dtv.......most have switched over as soon as the fiber system was ready for them......That has gotg to be putting a hurt on Dtv!!!!

The real neet thing is Mom has been doing battle with D tv for 15/20 years about one thing or another...........and sence yesterday at about 10 o clock we have receved at least 10 phone calls from all kinds of folks with important lables wanting to know what they can do to get us to switch back.......

My answer has been......Ya should of thought about that a few years ago!!!!
about the same with the Sat company.......It is fun to be on the other end of the old SHIT STICK !!! for a change!!!!

Last edited:

jwstewar

You lucky bastard. I would love to get some type of Internet service besides our 1 mbs slow as molasses DSL service. We use to much data to go through satellite, but man, this is painfully slow.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
No fiber in our area.

We have cable and I just had to increase our internet. We've switched from cable premium channels (e.g. HBO, Cinemax...) to streaming videos (e.g. NetFlix). We had 1M upload, 10M download but we kept going over our 300G monthly allowance.

I switched to 500G per month and it came with increased performance. 5MPS upload and 20MPS download.

That's more than enough for our needs.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just bit the bullet and upgraded to the Hopper version of DirecTV. It connects all the DVRs so you can watch all shows on any of the TV's. Upgraded bedroom tv to HD, it was the only one without HD. Should've been done a long time ago but I detest dealing with DirecTV so I do it as little as possible. So far this upgrade appears to have gone smooth. And it lowered my bill by 25 bucks. Time will tell if that is totally true. They had to give me this and that, 5 off for paperless billing etc etc. We'll see.

Whiile there the DirecTV rep said that AT&T had bought out DirecTV for 60 billion!!!!! :eek: Damn. I had no idea that was going on. Sure sounds like a corner on that market.

Fiber?? What company is offering Fiber? Not in my area that I know of but I'm jealous for sure.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm jealous!!!! I'm still on wi-fi. It's a whole lot better than dial-up but still slow, slow, slow.

Kane

Yesterday.....we went from12 to 15 mbs to 100 mbs......Wow what a difference!!!

we are now on Fiber to the house.....and I thought dial up to sat......was some change!!!!

Wonderful upgrade. Now, kiOho, you'll need to purchase a bunch of smart teevees to really set things off.

Mom will wet her pantsuit.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I can understand your enthusiasm. We have Comcast 105mbps internet and love it. My router is old so I only get around 70, but that does everything I ever need.

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
We have to choose between living in the city with fiber or staying outside the city and only getting DSL. We chose country living and DSL.

I can wait a few minutes for my stuff to download but waiting on all the traffic, noise, HOA's, etc is too much for this old man.

Bob

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
We have to choose between living in the city with fiber or staying outside the city and only getting DSL. We chose country living and DSL.

I can wait a few minutes for my stuff to download but waiting on all the traffic, noise, HOA's, etc is too much for this old man.

Bob

Luckily for us, we had no such decision. We get country living and cable modems. :biggrin:

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Doc to answer your question...The company is CO-Mo elect....it is our elect coop....Comcast abanded several cable networks in some small towns around here because they wouldnt approve a rate increase.....the como board was looking into taking them over and running them as part of their services.....decided the best way was to rip the systems clear out and put in fiber.......after looking into it for a few years they begain with a small porten of their distbution system.....they picked out an area that had the highest number of custermers and did town meetings ect to see who would want the service and the projected cost......and went from there......along the way small towns ask to be included and it just grew from there......our area was slated to come on line in late 2017...but the folks signing up..grew so fast they have worked right through the winter...and put on a buntch of crews..and our area is almost all hooked up...and from what I read they are right now hanging fiber in areas that were scedualed to come on line in 4or 5 years from now...I noticed this morning that there wasnt a gigbite allowence on the paper work...so I called and ask what my liment was............there is no liment!!!! the lady said the way the system is set up liments dont kick in untill you get into the 500 megbit range of service!!! and then you are in the comercial area......each sub station has its own fiber system..down here we have 7 feeders comming off the sub station in our area.....she said that the way it was set up....if every custermer on our system ran tv 24 hours a day and downloaded music and movies 24 hours a day....we could not over load the system......and every substation system is set up the same way.... I spent 20+ years as an electrition....power I know....fiber...came along as I was retiring..I know nothing about it except what Im told.....the fiber out on the pole is not any bigger than a large pensel...and the one comming to the houseis maby1/8 inch and the one comming into the new modem is about the size of 24 guage wire!!!
it is about 12 miles from the substation to my house........think about that little tinny light comming all that way!!!and doing what it dose!! And I always thought those little electrons were fast..............WOW......:unsure:

Yep I live in the country and I now have fiber and not much trafic....Life is good.....

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I can understand your enthusiasm. We have Comcast 105mbps internet and love it. My router is old so I only get around 70, but that does everything I ever need.

That 70 Mbps is over a 100 times faster than my wi-fi.

I also have a a big screen, HD, 3-D, Smart TV which is utterly wasted as my service won't stream video fast enough for it to be useful.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc to answer your question...The company is CO-Mo elect....it is our elect coop....Comcast abanded several cable networks in some small towns around here because they wouldnt approve a rate increase.....the como board was looking into taking them over and running them as part of their services.....decided the best way was to rip the systems clear out and put in fiber.......after looking into it for a few years they begain with a small porten of their distbution system.....they picked out an area that had the highest number of custermers and did town meetings ect to see who would want the service and the projected cost......and went from there......along the way small towns ask to be included and it just grew from there......our area was slated to come on line in late 2017...but the folks signing up..grew so fast they have worked right through the winter...and put on a buntch of crews..and our area is almost all hooked up...and from what I read they are right now hanging fiber in areas that were scedualed to come on line in 4or 5 years from now...I noticed this morning that there wasnt a gigbite allowence on the paper work...so I called and ask what my liment was............there is no liment!!!! the lady said the way the system is set up liments dont kick in untill you get into the 500 megbit range of service!!! and then you are in the comercial area......each sub station has its own fiber system..down here we have 7 feeders comming off the sub station in our area.....she said that the way it was set up....if every custermer on our system ran tv 24 hours a day and downloaded music and movies 24 hours a day....we could not over load the system......and every substation system is set up the same way.... I spent 20+ years as an electrition....power I know....fiber...came along as I was retiring..I know nothing about it except what Im told.....the fiber out on the pole is not any bigger than a large pensel...and the one comming to the houseis maby1/8 inch and the one comming into the new modem is about the size of 24 guage wire!!!
it is about 12 miles from the substation to my house........think about that little tinny light comming all that way!!!and doing what it dose!! And I always thought those little electrons were fast..............WOW......:unsure:

Yep I live in the country and I now have fiber and not much trafic....Life is good.....
Very lucky. You are in the right place indeed. :tiphat:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
That 70 Mbps is over a 100 times faster than my wi-fi.

I also have a a big screen, HD, 3-D, Smart TV which is utterly wasted as my service won't stream video fast enough for it to be useful.

Thats too bad, Frank. DSL should be better then that. Have you inquired as to why it is so slow?

About 5 years ago or so i complained to Comcast that my speed was not up to what they were advertising and i kept after them like a dog that has a rat by the neck. Finally they discovered a bad fiber node somewhere down in the village and my speed actually went up to a little over advertised. The technician commented everybody in service was familiar with my name. I asked him if that was F***ing Butch? :yum: He laughed. The only way to get things done, sometimes.

May be worth checking out.

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
As a side note.......Co-Mo has a little over 4000 miles of lines severing elect customers and in another couple of years they will have fiber service available to every custormer and several towns in this area that they dont severse with their elect grid............Com cast was saying that it was not posable to get fiber service to rual homes.........Co-Mo not only showed on paper it can be done at a reasonable cost.....they have put their money where their mouth is....Co-Mo has done it.........as far as cost....at the preconstruction phase.....each household that wanted the service Put up 100.00........earnest money......that helped pay for the start up of our area.......that brought the fiber to the house... there are alot of steps of available and the more ya get the more ya pay.......mom and I got the second on tv whitch gave us almost every chanel we got with direct tv premem package......the second level of the internet...whitch gives us 100mbs....with no bandwith limit.......and the residentual phone service..long didtance over the usa and many countrys.....

our cost for our service is 125.00 a month.....way less than than 1/2 of what we paid a few days ago......

If a person has a need for it like extreme high speed for large data transfer it is available at a cost no doubt....un believeable tv packages...total nfl...nba...nascar programs ect....it just costs money!!!

Just got an e-mail it looks like there is going to be fiber service in the gigabit range for business and folks that need the speed..........I cant even begain to wrap my mind around what a multipul gigabit is let alone what it would do.......sure would warm up a typewriter!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
As a side note.......Co-Mo has a little over 4000 miles of lines severing elect customers and in another couple of years they will have fiber service available to every custormer and several towns in this area that they dont severse with their elect grid............Com cast was saying that it was not posable to get fiber service to rual homes.........Co-Mo not only showed on paper it can be done at a reasonable cost.....they have put their money where their mouth is....Co-Mo has done it.........as far as cost....at the preconstruction phase.....each household that wanted the service Put up 100.00........earnest money......that helped pay for the start up of our area.......that brought the fiber to the house... there are alot of steps of available and the more ya get the more ya pay.......mom and I got the second on tv whitch gave us almost every chanel we got with direct tv premem package......the second level of the internet...whitch gives us 100mbs....with no bandwith limit.......and the residentual phone service..long didtance over the usa and many countrys.....

our cost for our service is 125.00 a month.....way less than than 1/2 of what we paid a few days ago......

If a person has a need for it like extreme high speed for large data transfer it is available at a cost no doubt....un believeable tv packages...total nfl...nba...nascar programs ect....it just costs money!!!

Just got an e-mail it looks like there is going to be fiber service in the gigabit range for business and folks that need the speed..........I cant even begain to wrap my mind around what a multipul gigabit is let alone what it would do.......sure would warm up a typewriter!!!!!!!!

That's a good price. I am paying $200.00 per month for X1 Cloud DVR, 105mbps internet and digital phone service. The whole enchilada. The funny thing is, I hardly watch TV. I have three shows I like. Game of Thrones, Walking Dead and Hell of Wheels. Most of the time those shows are not even on. Comcast is more for the beautiful Mrs. TR. I prefer to read and reload booolits. :big grin:

jwstewar

We were finally able to get faster Internet. It is funny. I was at Tractor Supply picking up some cattle panel to put up for our goats and ran into one of the technicians for the phone company and started talking. I asked him if we could get anything better and he said actually we could get 3 MBPs and possibly 6. So I could the phone company and they finally came out Monday and made the change and installed the new modem. However, we still weren't seeing 6. Unfortunately, they then broke our ability to view our barn cameras from our phones because now we were part of the private network at the phone company. So I talked to them, they had to convert us over to a static IP which meant they changed how we connected to a bridge mode on the modem and changed the connection type from DHCP to PPPoE. When I talked to the tech, he found an issue with our account and made the change. Now we are seeing our 6 MBPs. Still not fast Internet, but at least now we can watch Youtube videos and also use the start over function on our DirecTV boxes.

Funny, everyone talks about how much faster IE is than Chrome, these were consistent results after probably 15 tests on each browser.

Internet Explorer 11

Chrome 42

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
We receved a note with our billing that we can get 1-gigabite service if we want...........I realy dont know what that is for sure........Im very happy with ---100 meg a bite...........

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Here's what I'm getting right now. Will be interesting to see what I get next week though as we're switching service providers for cable, internet, and phone on monday. I got pissed at our current provider (SHAW) this week when I discovered they dropped one of my favorite channels. Told them to bend over and shove their service up their butt. Not the first time I've had to do that. I'll try to remember to take a speedtest after we're set up. I imagine it will be a touch slower since we had the best that was available with SHAW.

4313526858.png

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Mine changed also. Don't have much faith in that test. I was expecting a slower speed since before we were paying for the best service available when we really didn't need it. So far our new connection seems to be doing just fine.