• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Calling all Outlook gurus....

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
I've got a problem I'm trying to solve with Outlook. We're revamping our work network that is an MS SBS based setup. We use Outlook 2003 for our calendar and email. We want to switch to a net based email and calendar version of Outlook, so that it will sync with our phones, home computers, etc.

The problem is exporting the data from Outlook 2003 to Outlook.com's calendar. It seems the two applications won't talk to each other. How ridiculous is that?

What I think I need is a way to convert Outlook 2003's .pst file to Outlook.com's .ics format and then import that data to the new calendar.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Derisive comments?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I didn't go to the link but isn't there something on one of the OS install disks that does this? IIRC, it did old Outlook and Outlook Express into new formats.

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
The only other option i know of is to put a newer version of MS office on that pc and then transfer it over,with office 2003 having little if none MS support your kinda screwed,unless you sit and re-do it all by hand sadly.

I will keep looking and chat to a few people that have IT experience.

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
The only other option i know of is to put a newer version of MS office on that pc and then transfer it over,with office 2003 having little if none MS support your kinda screwed,unless you sit and re-do it all by hand sadly.

I will keep looking and chat to a few people that have IT experience.

I don't think newer versions of Outlook export in .ics format.

Galvatron

google calendar does support it...can you not open a google account to transfer and then transfer again to where you really need it??

There is reason in my madness

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
Galvie, I appreciate you trying, but I don't think you understand the problem.

Outlook 2003 exports in .pst format. Outlook.com only imports .ics formatted data. My problem is getting the calendar from .pst to .ics format.

Galvatron

i do understand its just a headache trying to find the right support.....i shall keep reading up until my head explodes lol

jwstewar

Neither Outlook 2010 or 2013 have the ability to export to an ICS file.

Ironically, they can both import them.:glare:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I didn't go to any of the links.

Can you go from PST to CSV and then from CSV to ICS? Thought I recall having to do that when I went from 2003 to 2010 for some outlook things.

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
Many thanks to all for the input. Adillo303 put me in contact with a resource that helped me put it all together.

Basically, I created a .pst file rom my work Outlook 2003 application. Then I opened it with my Outlook 2013 that I have on my home computer. Then I saved that new file as an icalendar which I then imported into my Outlook.com calendar.

It's pretty klunky, but at least I know we don't have to recreate calendars when we abandon Outlook 2003 for something more in sync with the internet of things.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It's pretty klunky, but at least I know we don't have to recreate calendars when we abandon Outlook 2003 for something more in sync with the internet of things.
Hey, it's better than the paper calendar, post-its and notes on business cards like I have. ;)

Galvatron

Bloody thing gave me a headache...it's your own fault for being so far behind in IT in your business:whistling:

Good to know you got it sorted.:clap: