• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

My daughter is the Valedictorian of her high school!

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
Dang Brent... that sux... I certainly have mixed feelings on the whole situation... I grew up in rural Kansas... mine was a class of 32... I graduated with a 3.7, scored a 30 on the ACT.... and never studied, never cracked a book. I never had to, I just absorbed the stuff... then college came around.... and punched me right in the face. I had NO study skills, no study habits. The game and the rules changed. I got out of there by the skin of my teeth. I was one of those kids that probably got more scholarships than I deserved. The numbers made it look like I earned them, but in reality they just happened. I was a waste of money to be honest.

You won't change the system. Be proud of her and what she has accomplished. She obviously has the skills that I lacked and will be VERY successful in life. At the risk of swelling your head I will add that I think she has had a good example of what hard work and perseverance can do. My guess is that this will be an unfair life lesson that she will also glean much education from.

Congrats again and best of luck to her.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Just got back from another ceremony, this one for the entire school rather than just for the honor students. Somehow Mel picked up another 20k in scholarship money. I won't complain, but have no idea how it came in between late last night and early today. Oh well, it is what it is.

Maybe it's just the overly proud father (yes, I readily admit it), but I strongly feel that she'll breeze through undergrad school with a 4.0 GPA as well since she has extremely good study habits and is already well disciplined with her studies. I think her first real challenge will be when she enters med school and most others she is with there will be on equal footing as far as intelligence and study habits as well as competitiveness. Either way, all was going to be well with me. It's not like the VMI thing where I was lied to and flat out had money stolen from me and additional monies extorted from me.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brent, your daughter did great and there is still time for something to come in before her fall semester starts...... I now wish for the other "academics" to get some help.

Just got back from another ceremony, this one for the entire school rather than just for the honor students. Somehow Mel picked up another 20k in scholarship money. I won't complain, but have no idea how it came in between late last night and early today. Oh well, it is what it is.

Maybe it's just the overly proud father (yes, I readily admit it), but I strongly feel that she'll breeze through undergrad school with a 4.0 GPA as well since she has extremely good study habits and is already well disciplined with her studies. I think her first real challenge will be when she enters med school and most others she is with there will be on equal footing as far as intelligence and study habits as well as competitiveness. Either way, all was going to be well with me. It's not like the VMI thing where I was lied to and flat out had money stolen from me and additional monies extorted from me.

I told you soo............................. :clap:

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats on your daughters achievements!
Glad more scholarship money came through.
4.0 grade average is amazing!!

Reaper497

Young Buck
Site Supporter
I do not think that anyone in my graduating class (of 34) received a full-ride scholarship for academic performance. There was a male and a female who received athletic scholarships - baseball and softball respectively. I graduated with a 3.7 and was just below the median in my class.

As a college student with a year left in a 4-year dual baccalaureate program, this is the most important advice I can pass on to her, in the form of a motto:

WORK LIKE NOONE WILL, SO YOU CAN LIVE LIKE NOONE CAN

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey, even more "happy" news. Melanie's new car that was promised came in yesterday, the day before her official graduation. Here are a few pictures of her getting her brand new 2011 Sorento 'right off the showroom floor'.

Attachments

• Mel's new car.jpg
    Mel's new car.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 329
  • Mel's new car 2.jpg
    Mel's new car 2.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 302
  • Mel's new car 4.jpg
    Mel's new car 4.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 302
  • Mel's new car 5.jpg
    Mel's new car 5.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 299
  • Mel's new car 6.jpg
    Mel's new car 6.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 309

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Given so many of your previous posts, why not a HONDA?

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter

I agree...anything but a KIA!!! You do know what KIA stands for, right???

Killed In Action

Sorry, had two of them in the past and SIL had two of them. Nothing but problems on all of them.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter

The deal is that she got to pick out what she wanted. Also, in the last 2 years Kia has scored higher in quality than a Lexus and actuarial statistics have it rated as less of a risk than Toyota, Nissan, Mazda and Mitsubishi as far as break down statistics. Every single warranty company I deal with has Kia listed in the least expensive category for pricing on warranties. Only Honda/Acura has has less breakdowns in the last 2 years.

My sister who is an attorney in Louisville bought an Acura RL and Mel's car is almost identical. Five years ago I would have never thought I would have owned a Kia. There again, five years ago I would have never thought that Kia would have ever produced a vehicle with a sticker approaching 40k either! That tells me that, unfortunately, the gap between the value and the cost is closing on Hyundai/Kia products.

If you recall, when Toyota first came to the U.S., their first car was called a Toyopet, which was soon called a Toyolet. Toyota also picked, of all places, San Fran to demonstrate their new "wonder" car. It didn't have enough power to climb the hills there. They got laughed out of town. I admit, I did the same with Hyundai/Kia. You ought to drive a Hyundai Genesis with a V8. I have driven both, and I prefer it over the Lexus LS460.

So, yup, I can even say that I'm proud of Mel doing her homework on the car she wanted. Oh yeah, it's built in West Point, GA; wherever that is.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
good pics Brent. Nice looking car and BEAUTIFUL daughter. :tiphat:
Congrats to her again for achieving valedictorian of her class. Something she (and you) will be proud of for a lifetime. :clap: :clap: :clap:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Cute girl and car! Congrats to her for the hard work. What is with the clown in the back seat? Little spy guy from dad?:whistling:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Guess I am out of touch or just don't watch commercials that close. He looked funny sitting back there watching!:yum:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Guess I am out of touch or just don't watch commercials that close. He looked funny sitting back there watching!:yum:

Yeah, I ordered the "trunk monkey" for security and I got a damn sock monkey...

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I just hope for your sake that kia's have improved in the past couple years. I was nearly killed in one on more than one occasion. Here's a bit of friendly advise coming from a former kia owner.

Let's see...
1. Make sure the hood latch is securely locked before every trip in the thing. We had the hood fly open on the highway at 60mph when we met a transport.
2. Hope you have good warranty. In 40k, we had the complete exhaust changed 3 times.
3. Be very careful when applying the brakes as one or more of the tires may lock up sending you into an uncontrolable spin.
4. Be prepared to possibly have an engine change after 50k. That's when my SIL had hers done along with a complete new front suspension.
5. If you like the KIA, be prepared to spend allot of quality time with it during the winter months when the door locks freeze up and lock you inside the vehicle.
6. Power steering...who needs that??? 5 hoses and 2 pumps in 25k. It gets real interesting when the pump quits on you and seizes up as you enter a hairpin turn between a rock wall and a set of guard rails separating you from a plunge into the lake on the other side.
7. Don't get too attached to the paint color of your kia. Ours was a nice metallic red and faded to a dull white within 2 yrs(Not covered by their excellent warranty)

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
groomer, sorry to hear about your bad experience with your KIA.
You obviously got one with trouble. Doesn't mean that all of them are as bad as that.
I'm astounded that Dargo was able to give Melanie a new car for graduation.
It's what she wanted, and it sure is a great gift.
The photos of her receiving that speak for them self. I think that car will be just fine.

I just hope for your sake that kia's have improved in the past couple years. I was nearly killed in one on more than one occasion. Here's a bit of friendly advise coming from a former kia owner.

Let's see...
1. Make sure the hood latch is securely locked before every trip in the thing. We had the hood fly open on the highway at 60mph when we met a transport.
2. Hope you have good warranty. In 40k, we had the complete exhaust changed 3 times.
3. Be very careful when applying the brakes as one or more of the tires may lock up sending you into an uncontrolable spin.
4. Be prepared to possibly have an engine change after 50k. That's when my SIL had hers done along with a complete new front suspension.
5. If you like the KIA, be prepared to spend allot of quality time with it during the winter months when the door locks freeze up and lock you inside the vehicle.
6. Power steering...who needs that??? 5 hoses and 2 pumps in 25k. It gets real interesting when the pump quits on you and seizes up as you enter a hairpin turn between a rock wall and a set of guard rails separating you from a plunge into the lake on the other side.
7. Don't get too attached to the paint color of your kia. Ours was a nice metallic red and faded to a dull white within 2 yrs(Not covered by their excellent warranty)

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I sure hope so...btw...that was four different kia's...one of which was a sorento.

Irregardless, nice of Dargo to do that. I only wish my parents did that for me. I got the use of a rusted out gas guzzling ford bronco as long as I paid the insurance and gas for it along with the repairs to keep it on the road.

BTW....nice looking girl you have there:brows:

:whistling:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not nearly as nice as Brent. And my kid, while pretty darn smart, is not valedictorian of her class (she is in the top 5% of her class). So I'm not buying my kid a new car, and I already know what car my daughter is getting. Its the 2004 Volvo XC90 that my wife currently drives. I figure a big old Volvo is sort of like wrapping a kid in bubble wrap before sending them out on the highway. She actually wants the little VW Jetta, but I'm having too much fun with that!!!

At least that is my plan, and I'm sticking with it until my wife tells me I'm wrong and have to change it.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I sure hope so...btw...that was four different kia's...one of which was a sorento.

Technically, by name alone. It's like comparing an F150 to an Escape. The only thing similar is the Ford name. Same goes with the Sorento. Zero, other than the name, transfers to the 2011 Sorento.

I promised I'd buy her what she wanted. She did her homework. However, trust me, you're talking about my profession; I assure you that I'm more aware of Kia than most technicians who ever looked at any Kia you've previously owned. I have absolutely zero concerns with the Kia brand of today. Statistically, right now you are 3 times more likely to have a breakdown in a Toyota than in a new Kia. I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I'm more than confident in the new Sorento. :wink:

Oh, I forgot, I've had two vehicles that the manufacture was forced to buy back back under the Lemon Law; both were Toyota vehicles. That's why I've been a Honda guy. Lexus is 'okay', but I really do not like Toyotas.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice car and very pretty young lady. You do have your shotgun all oiled up and loaded right?

She actually has the first boyfriend I can say I like too. :clap: He too has a 4.0 GPA and he has busted his rear helping me build the zip line setup for this weekend.

He is the same guy I gave the speech to before he took her to prom too. :whistling:

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Technically, by name alone. It's like comparing an F150 to an Escape. The only thing similar is the Ford name. Same goes with the Sorento. Zero, other than the name, transfers to the 2011 Sorento.

I promised I'd buy her what she wanted. She did her homework. However, trust me, you're talking about my profession; I assure you that I'm more aware of Kia than most technicians who ever looked at any Kia you've previously owned. I have absolutely zero concerns with the Kia brand of today. Statistically, right now you are 3 times more likely to have a breakdown in a Toyota than in a new Kia. I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I'm more than confident in the new Sorento. :wink:

Congrats to your daughter Dargo. I applaud her for the hard work.
I was recently looking for a vehicle for my Mother-In-Law when I came across a Kia Sedona. I called my son who sells Ford vehicles for his input. He told me that Kia is a different company now. He would buy one himself. So maybe she has a great car there.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I hope you're right. It seems like kia has worked out allot of their bugs. We just had too much bad luck with them in the past. Kinda left a sour taste in our mouths.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I hope you're right. It seems like kia has worked out allot of their bugs. We just had too much bad luck with them in the past. Kinda left a sour taste in our mouths.

Thanks. I know only too well about getting screwed and having bad luck. Others here will laughingly agree that if I don't get kiss when I get screwed I will keep going after "screwer" for years. I'm one of those fools who just won't go away after I've been screwed. :hammer:

But, she could have picked a BMW 7 series and I would have bought one for her. I'd like to take a little pride in her doing homework for picking a sound, very well rated and good value vehicle rather than just a 'screw dad' car.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brent, just curious, how is the reliability rating of the little Suzukis?

That brand seems to be up and coming and some of their models are actually getting to the point where they are good looking, with plenty of features. I'm not shopping for anything but those seem to be under-appreciated by buyers. Is there a reason for that?

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats to your daughter Dargo. I applaud her for the hard work.
I was recently looking for a vehicle for my Mother-In-Law when I came across a Kia Sedona. I called my son who sells Ford vehicles for his input. He told me that Kia is a different company now. He would buy one himself. So maybe she has a great car there.

I don't even know their models or anything, to be honest. I just have access to databases on repair statistics through my company and it's amazing how fast they've gone from "Yugo like" to "world class". They have now passed every single European made vehicle in reliability and safety. It wasn't too hard to be more reliable than Mercedes, BMW, Audi, VW, Jaguar, Land Rover, etc. It was harder for them to test better in crash test ratings. I think they've begun advertising that with certain vehicles now as well.

My guess is that they'll end up like all the other well respected Asian made vehicles; reliable but rather expensive for what you get. Their prices have just started rising after they've improved their other areas. As always, she's happy, so I'm happy. :smile:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Brent, just curious, how is the reliability rating of the little Suzukis?

That brand seems to be up and coming and some of their models are actually getting to the point where they are good looking, with plenty of features. I'm not shopping for anything but those seem to be under-appreciated by buyers. Is there a reason for that?

A few years ago they looked like they were going to be world killers and then they fell flat on their rear. I forgot to mention Subaru as one of the most reliable vehicles now made. Man, they used to be almost as bad as a Cadillac Catera when they first came over here. Many don't know how close they came to pulling up their tent stakes and leaving the U.S. market. But, Subaru made changes and persevered. Suzuki is in that place now; either improve or pull out of the market. You can buy a Suzuki franchise almost for less than you can buy one of their cars.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A few years ago they looked like they were going to be world killers and then they fell flat on their rear. I forgot to mention Subaru as one of the most reliable vehicles now made...
The high school fencing coach's husband has a new Subaru Legacy sedan. Very very nice looking, last time I chatted with him about we both drove up to a tournament in Wisconsin and he had had the car for about a year. Glowing reports from him.

My priest friend has a Subaru Forrester, its probably 6 years old? Maybe a a year or two older so I'm guessing an '03 or '04? He and I were driving to dinner one evening in my Touareg and he said the Forrester ride quality and noise levels did not compare to the Touareg (my Touareg is an '05). He said he was looking for a replacement and didn't seem to keen on replacing it with another Subaru.

I would love to see them import/offer one of their vehicles with their boxer diesel engine. That engine seems to be powerful and economical but by all accounts I can find, that engine won't be coming to the US any time soon. :sad:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I would love to see them import/offer one of their vehicles with their boxer diesel engine. That engine seems to be powerful and economical but by all accounts I can find, that engine won't be coming to the US any time soon. :sad:

Me too. It's clear I love diesel engines. My daughter wanted a "crossover" vehicle. Not a full body on frame, truck like, SUV but also more than the little Subaru wagons. Like you mentioned, the Subaru offerings are a bit smallish and ride and drive as much. As much as I really dislike Toyota vehicles, if they would have offered their new style Land Cruiser with a diesel, I would have asked her to look at it.

You ought to buy one of those Mahindra dealerships and sell their diesel pickups. It's my understanding that they have cleared most hurdles and will be hitting our shores soon.