• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Camera, thinking of the Pentax IST DL

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I have some of the older Pentax lenses that are not autofocus, but have the K mount. One is a Pentax Macro, 50 mm 4.0 with 1:2 ratios and the other is a 50 mm 1.4 that I want to be able to use if I can. You can not buy these any longer, and they are great lenses. I also have the Pentax ring light that fires off the hot shoe, and the 2x converter that makes the macro 1:1. I am looking at the Pentax digital SLR with a couple of zoom autofocus lenses.

Does anyone here know how well if at all my old lenses will work, minus autofocus of course. Anyone have this camera and if so how does it work for you?

I have had Pentax for years, got a MX and several other lenses for it.

OregonAlex

ddrane2115 said:
I have some of the older Pentax lenses that are not autofocus, but have the K mount. One is a Pentax Macro, 50 mm 4.0 with 1:2 ratios and the other is a 50 mm 1.4 that I want to be able to use if I can. You can not buy these any longer, and they are great lenses. I also have the Pentax ring light that fires off the hot shoe, and the 2x converter that makes the macro 1:1. I am looking at the Pentax digital SLR with a couple of zoom autofocus lenses.

Does anyone here know how well if at all my old lenses will work, minus autofocus of course. Anyone have this camera and if so how does it work for you?

I have had Pentax for years, got a MX and several other lenses for it.

I don't have an digital SLR yet but I do own a 35mm Pentax SLR with many KA mount lens. I do know this. The chances of mounting a K mount lens DIRECTLY on a Pentax digital SLR is very slim. If you do, it would have be through a special adapter and in doing so you would lose at least one F-Stop (decreased max aperature) and some frame cropping (i.e. magnication) in addition to the cropping going from a full frame 35mm camera to a partial frame Digital SLR like like the Pentax iST. What does all this mumbo jumbo mean? Your 50 mm f1.4 lens converted to work on a Pentax Digital SLR will be converted into a 100mm +/ f2+

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OregonAlex said:
What does all this mumbo jumbo mean?
Exactly what I was thinking...
Photographers are like the military, medical or computer guys. Nothing is in English...

OregonAlex

bczoom said:
Exactly what I was thinking...
Photographers are like the military, medical or computer guys. Nothing is in English...

it means you old lens will be poo poo on the new camera. Start over.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Alex,

I almost thought I was going to have to start doing some moderating as it sounded like some nasty stuff but I wasn't sure if there was sex, weapons or ??? involved.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
As a matter of fact the old lenses will mount on the digital body, but will not fire the shutter..........dont have the auto stuff in them. The newer auto focus lenses will work.

I sure wish my old lenses would work. I have some you can not even get now. I did find a Nikon d50, with 2 lenses, zoom, 18 to 55 and 70 to 200 for 999.00.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
The shots at us camera, military, computer types...........:14_6_20: :toilet: :moon: :boobies: :wave:

I am not military, but have to take up for them also............hehehehehehehheehehe

ok, back to party time.

and thanks all..............

OregonAlex

ddrane2115 said:
As a matter of fact the old lenses will mount on the digital body, but will not fire the shutter..........dont have the auto stuff in them. The newer auto focus lenses will work.

I sure wish my old lenses would work. I have some you can not even get now. I did find a Nikon d50, with 2 lenses, zoom, 18 to 55 and 70 to 200 for 999.00.

dont forget about the cropping due to the partial frame on the DSLR.