• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

TV's for the kids in the car

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mrs. Zoom purchased a DVD player with a pair of 8.4" screens so the kids can watch movies when we're driving. It'll be a Christmas present.

She bought an off-brand (Venturer?) from Sam's club. I'm not big on it since:
1. I think prices will go down between now and Christmas.
2. I think (like computers and such), the technology gets better every day.
3. I think she could have gotten 2 DVD players, each having their own screen so they wouldn't fight over what to watch.

So, do you think an off-brand will be any good? I did a google search and it appears they're made by Alco Electronics who makes the Venturer, Kawasaki, Durabrand, KLH, and Audiovox brand names.

Should she have waited awhile to see what happens to prices and technology? Does anyone have one they like (or hate)?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
As it is already the end of October, I seriously doubt you will see any technological advances in the lower priced video car units before Christmas. Most of the goods that will be sold during the Christmas season are already here in our distribution network, those that are not already here are very likely already on a boat coming here. It is likely you may see some advancement in the upper end models, but not in the lower end systems, and since it came from Sam's Club, it is very likely a lower end unit because they typically specialize in that level of product.

I guess what I am saying is that your wife probably did OK. The price may drop later, but then again it may not. As for the brand, who knows??? Most electronics either work or they don't. In any case, your kids treatment of the equipment will likely determine how long any electronic device lasts.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Most electronics either work or they don't. In any case, your kids treatment of the equipment will likely determine how long any electronic device lasts.
Thanks Bob,
The kids have struggled (read - try to watch a movie, then puke) with previous versions of TV's in the van so in one aspect, I'm thinking this thing may join all the other things we got to play them movies in the car (a 13" TV/VCR combo, a 15" screen laptop..) and be a "throw away".
The only thing different about one of these units is that the screen is up at eye-level or higher which seems to help with motion sickness. The others sat a bit lower.

Actually, I'm thinking of putting it in the RTV since it's about the only thing I haven't put on/in it.