• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Riddle Me This One

Bamby

Riddle Me This One Folks. I'm within easy driving distance of a couple of walmarts. I can now place an order at either of them and an employee will pick the entire order and deliver it right to your vehicle and load it for you.

Yet when you finish shopping at the same stores a person will observe a bunch of closed registers and a long, long line at the one or two that are open... So my question is just how they justify this inconvenience to customers who prefer to pick their own products off the shelf...:hammer:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't get that either.
What I have observed is the self checkouts are packed, while the registers being manned are few.
I prefer going through a line and having a cashier ring it all up for me vs going through the damn self checkout only to find someone has to be called over anyway because that sack of tomatoes or that particular item didn't scan correctly.
Progress? :yum:

Bamby

IMPO if they can pay someone to pick and pull orders in a timely bases they can also pay someone to man the registers. Also IMPO the self service checkout sucks if a person has more than one or two products to scan. The workstations are way to small to obtain a docent flow through the register and back into the cart again.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I go to walmart, but I prefer Meijer or Kroger.
It's the same deal though with the lack of cashier's and the PITA self checkouts.
"Please put bagged item ...":hammer:
Then if something doesn't scan right, an assistant is supposed to be close by.
Supposed to be...

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
an assistant is supposed to be close by.
Supposed to be...

I never have any problem. Just stagger a little and really lean on my cane as I approach the scanner. Then cover one eye with my hand and lean to a couple of inches to the display like I’m having trouble reading it. Usually get help right away! :yum:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I never have any problem. Just stagger a little and really lean on my cane as I approach the scanner. Then cover one eye with my hand and lean to a couple of inches to the display like I’m having trouble reading it. Usually get help right away! :yum:
I shopped at Meijer one evening.
I put an item on the self scan and the red light above on the pole starts beeping like crazy.
This lady who was supposed to be attending sauntered over like she was annoyed, then did something to make the correct code go through.
I'm standing there thinking take your time sister!
:yum:

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't get that either.
What I have observed is the self checkouts are packed, while the registers being manned are few.
I prefer going through a line and having a cashier ring it all up for me vs going through the damn self checkout only to find someone has to be called over anyway because that sack of tomatoes or that particular item didn't scan correctly.
Progress? :yum:

I don't do self checkout either. As you say, items don't always scan correctly.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't do self checkout either. As you say, items don't always scan correctly.

Seriously, I gave up on the self checkout long ago. Prices wrong, price not in the computer, 11th item scanned, beeps and says remove all items and start over. I just do the grocery mid morning on a weekday there’s usually a full service checkout available and for places like Lowes or Home Depot I go to the commercial registers.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I may be one of the very few who actually like the self checkouts. Only because of my inability to stand in a lineup for long. I don't do the grocery shopping for that reason.

Nothing pisses me off more than standing in a lineup at Walmart knowing there are 10 tils there but only 2 open. Meanwhile the old lady in front of me who has a cart full is taking her sweet time and the cashier has to do a price check or get manager override and I'm standing there with one or two items. Or the old man who wants to check all his lottery tickets holding up the line. Thanks but no thanks. I'll just use the self checkouts and be home before the manager gets there to do an override.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
My wife does most of our grocery shopping online through Meijer. They contract with a company called shipt.com to do your shopping for you. There is a yearly fee of $99 which is only $8.25 a month. You can order 1 time a month or 10 times a month as long as each order is $35 or more. You can pick any available delivery time they have open. They usually call when they start picking your order to see if you want to add anything. They also call if there is something they can't find to see if you want a substitution. When you place the order you can specify the brand of whatever you want. They'll bring anything sold in the store with the exception of prescriptions, alcohol or tobacco. Yes you can order steaks or a hammer, bread, baked beans, whatever you want as long as the order is $35 or more. When they're done filling your order they'll call to say they're on their way.
My wife placed an order for delivery the next day at 1:00. She mistakenly clicked 1:00-2:00 AM. About 1:30 AM the doorbell went off. So both of us went flying out to see what was up. It was the shipt guy. Then she realized her mistake. Wife asked him did he feel comfortable delivering groceries in the middle of the night. He said they paid him well to do it.
We've had one bad experience. The shopper shopped a store that was 10 miles away instead of the one 2 miles away. Then she got lost. She was 2 hours late. She lives out of town and wasn't familiar with our area.
So over all we are happy with them.