• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Rescued Thiokol 1200A - Central CA

This 1200A found will be a challenge. #467 Thiokol last known usage was at MT Lassen and found it's last home in South Central CA to be torn all the way down. New to the snowcat, but have hopes for this old cat. Hope to have ready for the 2008 season with a new enclosed cab, power plant and new treads.
John

Attachments

• 1200-2.jpg
    1200-2.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 1,577
  • 1200-1.jpg
    1200-1.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 1,575

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum, wannagoflying !!

Looks like you have some work ahead of you !

I hope you will keep us posted as you go along with the restoration :thumb:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hi John! What are you planning on doing with this Thiokol?

Will we be seeing a historic restoration or are you going to "Pimp your Ride" with a full custom build? :weneedpic

And after you are done, then what? Is this for business or pleasure? Oh, and how understanding is your wife because you are going to be spending a lot of time in your workshop! :thumb:

Well I've now settled for the the modern look of the VMC sloped roof design to be intrgrated to the traditional Spryte front end. Completely shave the doors, seams and add rain gutters. The CAD design has a rear layout for 6-7 passengers in a U shapped seating arrangement. The better half had the dropped jaw look when it arrived attach. I will keep posted with monthly photos.

Rescued 1200A Torn all the way down

The work is progressing on the tear down of the 1200A. Only (1) boggie was solid filled to be cut apart.:pat: The wheels have been stripped, repainted and heading over to the tire shop for a new set of Goodyear filled monorails on the front and rear. The frame has been been completely stripped of all items and hardware. Stripping the paint has been a chore, but almost done.:) Front axle is stripped, repainted and awaits all other to be complete. Rear drive assembly is completely torn down, less trans/diff. (1) broke axle on right side with the machine shop pressing everthing out today. The left axle ships Monday with the drop drive gear to the axle man for a new set of axles. Thanks to a great forum for all the thoughts and ideas. Hope to have CAD drawing posted by next week for a vote of cab/cabin designs.:)
John

Attachments

• Frame Stripped.jpg
    Frame Stripped.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,477
  • Front Boggie Wheels.jpg
    Front Boggie Wheels.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,471
  • Front Axle.jpg
    Front Axle.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 1,451
  • OC-4 Opened.jpg
    OC-4 Opened.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 1,464

paulhenry

could you tell me more about your tire selection and how/what you are filling with - what was the cost?

Thanks

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
EXCELLENT! Another Thiokol gets a chance at life once again! Are you going to keep the oc-4 transaxle or are you going to upgrade to the oc-12?

Paul - I found a local source for Goodyear 4.5-12 monorail tires with superflex filled for $155 per tire plus tax. Fallline quoted $205 plus tax and frieght. Being local it was a easy decision.They the tires from a warehouse in Indiana. I have asked numerous people about tire configuration and settled for position 1 & 5 with monorail and 2,3 & 4 6-8 ply treaded tire filled with superflex also. I contacted Arnconet local rep in socal and he turned me to the local tire shop. They use the superflex for skidsteer and ag tires. http://www.arnconet.com/flatproofing/superfills/formulas/superflex.htm
John

Rescued Thiokol 1200A - Central CA OC-4

Currently I'm going to rework the OC-4 and leave in the alone for the 1st season to give it a try. The common theme I keep hearing is, maintenance and don't abuse it. That why I pulled the plow off and have it for sale. Numerous have suggested to add an autotrans ahead of the manual and that what I'm going to do.

New Build Cabin Design - Your Thoughts

Folks,
Please provide you vote / input on the new build. I have the Thiokol stripped all the way down to the ground. The fabrication and layout will begin shortly. Please see attached CAD sketches. Your thought, ideas and comment both positive and negative.
John

Attachments

• 1200A Standard Cabin.jpg
    1200A Standard Cabin.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 1,387
  • 1200A Modified Cabin.jpg
    1200A Modified Cabin.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 1,381
  • 1200A Shado.jpg
    1200A Shado.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 1,380

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Simple solution. Cut out a hole and have a recesed small foot step. They even make them commercially. they are made from aluminum. I will see if I can find one for you and get a picture.

Like the idea of the foot step:applause: Found 200# gas struts today, looking at tilting the full cab forwardfor two reasons. Easy access for engine work - remove complete top when servicing and gull forward when entering. Keep the idea coming.

1200A SUV Final Design - Fabrication to Begin

With the comments from the great forum users, the last and final design is now complete. The cutting of the existing sub frame will now begin. Plan, plan, plan, cut once and weld once. The best of both combined into one SUV. Widen by 18", extend rear deck by 4" and raise the rear roof line by 12" sloping. The seating will be 2 in the front and 4 in the rear, with the ability to fold the rear seating down. Keep the comments coming as the build will always be open to options. Thanks to the great users and comments.
John

Attachments

• 1200A SUV Seat.jpg
    1200A SUV Seat.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 1,308
  • 1200A SUV.jpg
    1200A SUV.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 1,293

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
You might want to extend the rear deck a bit more. Mine was extended about 8" if not more. Its 6 feet now. I feel this will help keep snow from building up on the deck.

Mike
The rear deck measures 4'-0" long x 7'-0" wide inside. What is your over-all legnth from front not including lights to rear-end of deck? Total length is about 12'-6" already.
Thanks, John

Cutting and Fabrication Begins

Well the Dewalt sawzall came alive to start the cutting away the hammered front end, five blades later and it's done. Dropped drawing to fabrication shop to roll new metal and underpan, can't wait to get welding. Last poor welding on the frontend showed signs of a drunk or blind welder. Never seen so many bandaid welds.

Attachments

• 1200A Cut Frame.jpg
    1200A Cut Frame.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 1,097
  • 1200A Hammered Front.jpg
    1200A Hammered Front.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,093

shovanl

SUPER Site Supporter
On your last drawing you show the doors cut short I have a 1977 1202 and that is the stile and it makes it hard to get in and out ( if you are and old fat gi ) the newer ones say the 88' thay have sloped the doors down from the back to the front by about 10 to 12" this apears to make it better to swing your feet in Just my 2 cent's keep up the good work Larry

Modified Door - New Style 1202

Larry - Thanks.. I never even look at the newer 1202's when drafting. Pulled a picture from Bill's at Snotrans and I see what your talking about. Will be a easy change for fabrication. Please keep all the thoughts and ideas generating. John

Attachments

• LMC_1200_030.jpg
    LMC_1200_030.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,088
Fabrication on 1200A Near Complete

Well.. Three 20lb bottles of argon blend and five trips to the metal store later and it's nearly ready to head out for blast and coating. The 1200A is now a full foot wider and longer, seating for 6-8 persons with a flat bed for gear, clothes and groceries. Worst expense was the rolling for the 1/4" x 2" flat bar for the hammered front end. To date for fabrication materials and consumables I'm at just under $425 for the project. The better half is seeing why we need snowcats after we made a hauling trip to Brian Head, UT to look at a remote lot at 10,200' and just 300' off the slopes. Great deal as only way in during winter is by snowcat.:) Yes that means less neighbors:coolshade The inspiration to finish this project just came alive after our offer to purchase was accepted. Time to get a enclosed circus tent or negotiate for half the garage to finish.

Attachments

• 1200A Fab 120907.JPG
    1200A Fab 120907.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,091
  • BH Lot.jpg
    BH Lot.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 1,082
Mike,
Take a picture of what you want fabricated.. I think your talking about the expanded metal grill? I can fab (2) as mine is in about the same shape. What I had American Fab roll was the lower radius section at the bottom under the radiator. All the bolt on items still need to be completed.

I will keep the original OC4 in it for now, but I picked up a complete Ford 200 with a C4 Automatic out of a 68 Mustang. The common theme about the OC4 I keep hear is don't abuse it or overload it.
John

Well it's been a slow year coming on the new design but it's almost ready to head over for blast, prime and paint. Last weekend I moved it from outside to inside the garage as the bulk fabrication and drilling is coming to the end. The punchlist is narrowing down and hope to have off to paint soon. Fitted with a I-6 200cu with C4 Transmission- Hurst Shifter. Rear cabin heater, (2) battery boxes behind passenger and a 55 gallon poly fuel cell. I've been the vulture looking for parts the last year and the bank account is still under budget.

Attachments

• 1200A New SUV 1.jpg
    1200A New SUV 1.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 996
  • 1200A New SUV 2.jpg
    1200A New SUV 2.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 990
It's at the powder coater...

Well not much in the last year but still moving in a forward motion. I keep adding to the new parts list rather than focusing on the frame. Last week hauled to the muffler shop for a new Dynaflow 2" exhaust system. Pulled engine, transmission and exhaust to gut the tunnel. Welded in engine side panels and coped the 4" tubular for the transmission pan. Got to be the day laborer in the blast booth today and nearly finished the frame. Six hours and 800lbs of grit cycled three time over and I'm beat! The powder coater was glad it was me on all that small surface and angle. They hope to load it Monday or Tuesday. Hope to be posting more regular until ski season starts.:smile:

Attachments

• Blast Near Complete 1.jpg
    Blast Near Complete 1.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 935
  • Engine Side Panel 1.jpg
    Engine Side Panel 1.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 927
  • Getting Exhaust 1.jpg
    Getting Exhaust 1.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 936
Finally finished at the powder coaters!

Well after four weeks the powder coater has finally caught up on their work load. It was well worth the wait to see the finished product. I'm glad that I've waited and taken this route. Hope to get back in the garage next week after I get back from the beach with the 6th graders class for a school adventure.

Attachments

• 1200A Powder Coated.JPG
    1200A Powder Coated.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 872
  • 1200A Powder Coated 1.JPG
    1200A Powder Coated 1.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 858