• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Ford Tow Command

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a 2006 Ford F350 with tow command. The prior short time owner installed an older 6 wire round style trailer connector in the box and on the bumper for a goose neck trailer. Today I decided to build an adapter to go from the old style 6 wire round to the 7 wire large OEM type plug now being used on late models for the box plug. No matter how I wired it, the tow command came back as "trailer not connected" on the tow command readout. Now the large 7 wire on the bumper works fine on my trailer. Why can't you use an adapter from a 6 wire type plug to a 7 wire on the Ford tow command? I guess I will just have to convert the box plug over to the new 7 wire style plug and say to he_ _ with trying to use an adapter. I know it has something to do with a small amount of electrical signal sent to the trailer to confirm it is hooked up and wired properly. I just don't understand why the adapter failed to communicate the same way between truck and trailer. Has anyone else seen this problem or have an answer? :confused2:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I went through the better part of a year of grief with trying to figure out how to get my VW Touareg to play nice with the trailer lights. In my case it was a very simple fix, but the last fix we tried! Some of the new vehicles, perhaps yours, require sufficient electrical draw from the trailer to properly activate the tow vehicle's trailer related electronics. In my case my trailer, which worked fine with 2 other two vehicles, had LED lighting. The LEDs have very low current draw, consequently they would not play nice with the Touareg because it required more draw than the LEDs would pull, and that led to "fault" messages and flashing trailer lights. The Touareg, wired by the dealer, went back and forth to their shop (all at no charge) to get it straightened out. They never could figure it out. Finally I found the answer on a VW website.

I'm not sure if that is applicable to your problem, but it is something to keep in the back of your mind if you can't figure out the truck wiring it might be related to the trailer?

jwstewar

In my case it was a very simple fix, but the last fix we tried!

Well if it fixed the problem, why would you have kept trying to fix it?:confused2: Remember, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.:yankchain:

Another thought, isn't there 2 different standards for the 6 pin connections? Maybe the truck is using the "other" standard.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks HGM :thumb:
You confirmed my thoughts to what the problem may be with your PM.

I am going to hook the F350 up to some of my other older trailers and see if the add on 6 pin will work with them today. I have been using an adapter of 7 to 6 pin with the older trailers in the past but not on this truck with tow command. I will try both the 6 direct and the 7 pin adapter plug on the rear bumper. I was able to get a slight voltage reading yesterday at one pin of the 6 connector that I was not able to identify. It was probably the voltage pulse you mention. It was a very small signal and not consistent. :confused2:

Every 4 seconds the TBC module sends a voltage pulse along circuit 43 (DB) to trailer tow C4099-3 to determine whether a trailer is connected to the trailer tow connector. If the TBC module receives a returning voltage, a trailer is connected. If the TBC does not receive a returning voltage, a trailer is not connected.

The "CKT 43" mentioned is the dark blue wire located at pin 3(lower left/7 o'clock if looking at the female end of the 7-pin conn).. It must be connected on its own(not jumped to another or left disconnected as I suspect)..

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
HGM is a god-send to any Ford owners on this board and TBN.

I think we need to start a collection and send him a Christmas present!

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
HGM is a god-send to any Ford owners on this board and TBN.

I think we need to start a collection and send him a Christmas present!

I know where we can get an old rusty Dodge to send him! :yum:

HGM

mtntopper said:
Thanks HGM :thumb:
You confirmed my thoughts to what the problem may be with your PM.

I am going to hook the F350 up to some of my other older trailers and see if the add on 6 pin will work with them today. I have been using an adapter of 7 to 6 pin with the older trailers in the past but not on this truck with tow command. I will try both the 6 direct and the 7 pin adapter plug on the rear bumper. I was able to get a slight voltage reading yesterday at one pin of the 6 connector that I was not able to identify. It was probably the voltage pulse you mention. It was a very small signal and not consistent. :confused2:

Glad to help... I dont always have advice on things(sometimes more questions) but anytime I can help you guys with a Ford just let me know..

BTW, thanks for the offer, but I really dont need a Dodge...:whistle:........
:yum:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey Bill,
My 2006 Ford diesel has that same set up and I don't have any problems towing different trailers . I have a bunch of trailer plug adapters in my glove box. I did have one adapter quit working correctly and scared the PeePee outta myself when I looked down at the command center and it said "Trailer Disconnected " .