• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I bought a boat!

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Not a big one, just 28' long. Wanted a boat to run around on the lake that's about 30 miles from my place in North Carolina. I took it for a test run yesterday and had a blast. It's a 2006 with 200 hours and in great condition for a 6 year old boat. Hell, when I first saw it I thought it was brand new! Anyhow... here is it.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 164
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 158
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 152
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 150
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 165
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 162
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 160
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 162
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 174

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
How did you find a boat that has an AK registration in NC? Nice boat.

Bob

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Very nice. :thumb: It sure does look new. No wonder, 200 hours is barely broke in. I love to buy used boats with just that many hours. What engine / HP does it have? A boating friend of ours bought one very much yours. One of the biggest open bow boats I've seen.
Will you be boating on Lake Norman? If so that is a beautiful lake. Great boating there.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
How did you find a boat that has an AK registration in NC? Nice boat.

Bob
I found it on eBay. It was being offered by Marinemax in Gulf Shores AL.

What engine / HP does it have? A boating friend of ours bought one very much yours. One of the biggest open bow boats I've seen.
Will you be boating on Lake Norman? If so that is a beautiful lake. Great boating there.
It has a Volvo 8.1Gi rated at 375hp. The duoprop really makes it sing. We plan on using it on Lake Hiawassee and Lake Hickory. Lake Norman is a little too far away from where I live.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
8.1 ... that must be what we used to call a 496 or a 502 I'd guess. I've seen the duoprop but I don't know what that gets you (more top speed or better hole shot). I'll guess they are for the hole shot. Still I suspect you'll be able to get the upper 50's and maybe 60mph on a good day. GREAT for that size of boat. Cruise at 40 to 45 all day long, which really is plenty fast on the water. :thumb:

I went to the Cleveland boat show last weekend. I am so ready for boating season to get here. Now I'm sure you are to. :D

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Doc,

I had a friend that had that duoprop on a smaller 21ft open bow. It did have a good hole shot top end I don't think it helped a lot or any. However at idle speeds when he set his steering wheel straight the boat when straight. Mine when idling the boat is going all over the place.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My Baja wanders all over the place at idle to Murph. Single engine, single prop. With dual motors the houseboat can idle straight all day long. No prob. :D

Kane

Congrats on the boat. Beautiful layout. Just the right size for single-handing. Looks to be in like-new condition.

Now that you've made the move, you will find that your list of things to do is twice as long as a land lubber. Is your family excited?

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Not a big one? OK. My get-about is a 15 footer with 55 HP bolted on the back. My "big" boat is a 27 foot Tanzer (Volvo Penta sail drive) sloop.

Both have not seen water for 10 years.

Boat ; (bout) noun; Hole in the water where you throw money.

But they sure are fun. I have had one since I was a kid. Still am.

Yours looks like a blast for weekenders and just getting about gunkholing the intercoastal. Great find.

Enjoy

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Welcome to the b.o.a.t. ing crowd.
Break out another Thousand

or

Break out another two

or

Break out another three

Warm the globe up at 2 miles a gallon! Woot! Can't wait for summer. Hope it is warmer next year.

Now, for some advice.

Get a handheld marine radio. Keep it charged. Make sure it transmits and receives every time you go out.

Buy only good life preservers, not the Walmart junk. Offshore life vests. Have them readily available.

ALWAYS wear the kill switch tether.

Buy a manual bilge pump, one of the big diaphragm ones, and mount it in the engine bay, with enough discharge hose to reach overboard.

Have fun!

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Those appear to be counter rotating props. Takes the torque out the equation. Should turn left, exactly like it turns right, with no directional prop torque. This is exactly why twin engine planes turn the engines opposite directions for instance...COOL! Better fuel economy I would think as well....

Regards, Kirk

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Awesome! I was a "river rat", growing up on the Ohio River most of my life. I was running a boat by the time I was 6 or 8 years old. In college I had, forgive me if I don't recall the correct verbiage, a 100 ton Masters license. At least I think that is what the USCG called it. I had to take classes and pass a navigating and written exam. I was technically a deck hand on a paddle wheeler we had here in Evansville that was chartered on weekends and made regular sight seeing trips during the day time. It was literally built on a full sized barge tray and was 3 stories tall with only the paddle wheel for propulsion. It SUCKED to pilot it in any wind!!! All it had was a freaking little 4 cyl diesel. It was severely underpowered and some trips were extended by up to 2 or 3 hours if I had to fight the wind and current on a round trip charter.

I also always had a boat or two for recreation. When I thought I was good at skiing, I had a 20' MasterCraft. It was great for skiing, but not so good for other things. I have so many stories about boating I could tell that it would take weeks. I had a '78 (I think that's the right year) Glastron Carlson jet boat that I bought with a blown engine. I put in a 454 GM with a Weiand 671 blower on it. I could point that nozzle up to where it looked like it was shooting a jet of water a hundred yards or more. Unfortunately, screwing around trimming it up way too much like that caused me to have a blow-over. Fortunately I fell out of the boat, but when it landed upsided down and backwards running maybe 65 mph or more, it literally exploded into a million pieces when it hit the water. I feel very lucky to walk away from that. I never recovered any part of the boat, engine or Bravo outdrive. LOL, you sure could hose a skier right off his skis though! :brows:

My last "boat" was an '85 Sea Ray 'Sundancer' with two 5.7 liter engines in it. It was a nice boat, but nobody would confuse it with being a fast boat. I think it was like 31' long and was like a mid cabin type boat. We started a family when I had that boat and it had to go. I loved going out and just cruising in it. Gas was a lot less expensive then too. I think it ran maybe 50 or a little faster? That Glastron got me out of my "go fast boat" need. Many, many great memories; especially with the sound system I had in the boat.

Now I just have 5 Jet Skis. Out of the 5, one of them is "mine", and it's a Kawasaki Ultra 250 (factory supercharger) with remapped electronics so it puts out around 300 hp. That's fast enough for me being that it's only a 10' boat. They are fun, but sometimes I miss having a 'real' boat....except after running hard all day and filling up with fuel on the way home. I don't miss blowing a week's pay on fuel in a weekend. Anyway, GREAT looking boat!! Have fun!!!

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
This is actually the 5th boat we've had. The last one was a 38' Carvar Santego. It really needed diesels but came with twin 454's that burned 40 gallons an hour at 20+ knotts. :eek: Trash your Exon card in a jiffy...

We're excited for sure. We've never had a boat that we could trailer, actually never wanted one. But these are different times and having a "portable" boat and dodging all those dock fee's is fine with me.

Thanks for the stories, suggestions and responses guys! :smile:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
This is actually the 5th boat we've had. The last one was a 38' Carvar Santego. It really needed diesels but came with twin 454's that burned 40 gallons an hour at 20+ knotts. :eek: Trash your Exon card in a jiffy...

We're excited for sure. We've never had a boat that we could trailer, actually never wanted one. But these are different times and having a "portable" boat and dodging all those dock fee's is fine with me.

Before this boat we had a 28 Riviera and a 42 aft.
I've learned that it costs about the same to travel 150 miles, no matter what planing boat you have. just some get there quicker, thus burning it alot faster. PV and the 42 burned about the same amount of fuel to go 150 miles. 'Cept one took 8 hours to do it and the other less than 2.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
2 most fun days in a mans life......

the day he buys a boat

the day he sells his boat ;)
Been there...done that...got the t-shirts...four times.:yum: got a Canoe now that has not been used for The past two seasons.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter

Being trailerable makes a big difference.

For one it extends you time on the water because cleanup and put away can be done at home during the week.

It also means you can see more places.
I always spent two hours Saturday mornignand Sunday evening with teh Sailboat in the slip. And having a land locked bluewater boat is the pits.

This one you have seems gutsy enough for rough weather, lots of freeboard and yet small enough to pull around.

Creature comforts muight be a bit cramped, depending on the number in your crew. But cozy and safe for you and the wife.

The penta is a great drive and will give you flawless and reliable performance. You will like it.

Good choice.
Enjoy.