• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Just got a Blu-Ray player. YIKES!!!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We had a DVD player die, actually it just broadcast everything in grey and yellow, but nothing else. So I figured it was time to upgrade to a Blu-Ray player.

Walked into Best Buy and was immediately assaulted with loud music, and unhelpful sales associates. Walked out, drove across the street, walked into Circuit City and they had 5 different Blu Ray players in stock. :thumb: I was greeted by a helpful sales kid and immediately narrowed my list down to regular players, they had one that was about $600 and played Blu Ray and HD-DVD disks, in addition to standard DVDs. I didn't see the point in paying a premium price to get the ability to play HD-DVD considering that those are no longer being produced, and considering I don't own any. So I looked over the Blu Ray players and picked a Panasonic model that was mid priced ($499), plays standard DVDs in upscale mode, has 7.1 audio decoding instead of the lower grade 5.1 audio, and it came with my choice of 2 free Blu Ray movies.

I just hooked it up to the HDTV in our bedroom (32" flat panel Akai) and all I can say is WOW does this thing produce a nice picture. DVDs always looked good when played on this TV set, but the Blu Ray actually looks as good as HD, and in some ways looks better.

The downside is the cost. Blu-Ray players are expensive, starting about $350 and going up from there. Honestly I would not buy one just to buy one. But if you have a DVD player that dies and needs to be replaced, and if that DVD player is hooked up to a HDTV and a surround sound system, then upgrading to Blu-Ray is worth it.

Now all I need to do is get a copy of FIREFLY on Blu-Ray!

Durwood RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Just buy a playstation3 for $399.00 and you'll have a blue ray player plus a top of the line game system.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
We had a DVD player die, actually it just broadcast everything in grey and yellow, but nothing else. So I figured it was time to upgrade to a Blu-Ray player.

Walked into Best Buy and was immediately assaulted with loud music, and unhelpful sales associates. Walked out, drove across the street, walked into Circuit City and they had 5 different Blu Ray players in stock. :thumb: I was greeted by a helpful sales kid...

Dang Bob, did you come to my town? That's exactly what happens here. I can't believe that Best Lie is even still in business! If, and I do mean if, Best Lie happens to advertise something I want and I do talk myself into going there, they never have said item in stock. They re-wrote the book on bait and switch!

Let us know how you like Blu-Ray. I bought concrete and paid enough taxes to keep several families covered on welfare this year so I don't own a Blu-Ray. Maybe someday...

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Let us know how you like Blu-Ray.
HONESTLY IT IS ASTOUNDING.

Blu Ray disks look amazingly realistic on an HDTV. Regular DVDs look almost HD on a HDTV when played on a Blu Ray player. I have an expensive Denon DVD player that upscales DVDs and that player is hooked up to our big, expensive HDTV. That Denon, even in upscaling mode, does not compete with the Blu Ray player and its ability to upscale a standard DVD, despite the fact that I have the Blu Ray player hooked up to our small, cheap HDTV in the bedroom.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
It's amazing isn't? Every time I buy a piece of electronic equipment and after 4 or 5 years when it starts to flicker and fade and I start to look for a replacement there has been a quantum leap in technological development. I don't know how much longer I can keep on keeping up!!!!

By the way, if anyone has any suggestions for a replacement for a 60" HD rear projection TV (LCD or plasma) I'll let my wife see your replies!!!!!

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
It's amazing isn't? Every time I buy a piece of electronic equipment and after 4 or 5 years when it starts to flicker and fade and I start to look for a replacement there has been a quantum leap in technological development. I don't know how much longer I can keep on keeping up!!!!

By the way, if anyone has any suggestions for a replacement for a 60" HD rear projection TV (LCD or plasma) I'll let my wife see your replies!!!!!

My 52" RCA rear projection (ten year old) TV had "Envy" when I started talking in front of it about the newer and better TV's now on the market... It died with a loud "Pop" and puff of smoke a few days later.... I had an alaby...

After the wake, went out an bought a 42" Sony flat screen, to ease the pain...

jwstewar

I just bought a Samsung LN52A650. When you compare it to anything else out there, it blows it away. I was pretty sure I wanted a Sony until I saw the 2 side by side. Thought it was a fluke. Went to probably 10 or 12 different stores and the Samsung was always that much better. Ended up ordering it from Amazon and saved a $ from what BB, CC and them are. I believe right now it is $2534 w/ free shipping at Amazon. BTW, this replaced a 60" Hitachi that we had when the house burned.

I hooked the Samsung DVD player up to it for a few minutes and it was awesome. Right now I just have Dish Network hooked up. The HD on it looks great. Still waiting until we decide what type of stand we are going to get for the stereo, Dish DVR, and the DVD player. Then I can order my cables from http://www.firefold.com and hook everything up. Firefold has the best prices I've seen on cables.