• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Why I hate the Holidays....

Angelface

Okay just a warning.. another Angel bitch fest thread... :glare:

Why I hate the season? Because I hate how freaking rude people can get... I went to the store today just to get a few things for dinner and the place was packed.. people annoyed with each other, overworked and rude employees, people getting moody behind me in the checkout because I was using cash, people honking at each other in a not hello kinda way in the parking lot. Stores advertising their black Friday ADs and times so that everyone can cut their thanksgiving dinner short, so they can rush to the store to buy more worthless crap... You know that time of the year where people fight each other for a blu ray player...

Honestly this makes me sick... I don't understand how people feel that its sooo important to buy this TV... or this video game... or whatever. I actually loved Thanksgiving more than Christmas because it was a reason to have a dinner with loved ones and say thank you for what you have.. not lets go out and get more.

I don't care if I get one thing for Christmas... my kids will out of love and tradition.. but not stuff corporate America says the need to have. Why not me? because I am alive. I have more than what I need and to some it isn't enough, but to others out there.. its worth risking their life over.

Materialism and the attitudes behind it makes me want to throw up...

Okay I'm done bitching... :doh:

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Black Friday is something I totally avoid!! I don't deal well with crowds anyway.
Mike

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes it is that time of the year.. :flowers:

We were in Omaha Neb. today and it was actually pretty calm. But come the weekend it will be just like the deer season opener is for the guys. Only thing is instead of thousands of acers of wilderness, you gals, and guys all converge into a few acers of roofed structure known to some as Mall's... Lol

Avoid that at all costs. Go on line if you have to... :wink:

I stay away except on Monday mornings from now till Christmas. It seems to work, and I am fortunate to be able to do so, as I am my own boss!! Lol

Know what you mean kid, and don't you ever feel alone with your feelings. Your not.

The Holidays are all yours. Make them such. Don't let the actions of others get in the way of you making your holiday season just what you want. Ignore all others and their issues...

Be nice to others. It doesn't cost a thing, and it sets a good example that to few take the time to do..

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, and Christmas. Live and Love to the fullest! :clap:

Best regards, Kirk

Angelface

Yes it is that time of the year.. :flowers:

We were in Omaha Neb. today and it was actually pretty calm. But come the weekend it will be just like the deer season opener is for the guys. Only thing is instead of thousands of acers of wilderness, you gals, and guys all converge into a few acers of roofed structure known to some as Mall's... Lol

Avoid that at all costs. Go on line if you have to... :wink:

I stay away except on Monday mornings from now till Christmas. It seems to work, and I am fortunate to be able to do so, as I am my own boss!! Lol

Know what you mean kid, and don't you ever feel alone with your feelings. Your not.

The Holidays are all yours. Make them such. Don't let the actions of others get in the way of you making your holiday season just what you want. Ignore all others and their issues...

Be nice to others. It doesn't cost a thing, and it sets a good example that to few take the time to do..

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, and Christmas. Live and Love to the fullest! :clap:

Best regards, Kirk

Hey thanks! Yah I am thinking online sales are the way to go...It's supposed to snow pretty good anyway this week. Such encouraging words.. thanks and you do the same!!

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
When I was a kid growing up in a small town in the 50's - 60's there was a vibrant main street with lots of Christmas lights, music and the like. You would see your friends shopping and it was an awesome experience. Something you looked forward to every year.

Now, it is no longer. Half the stores in that town are now closed and boarded up. The small mens and women's clothing stores, JJ Newberrys, MH Fishman, the small pharmacies that had a soda fountain and small book stores are a thing of the past. There is now a Rent-A-Center where Newberry's was and a used furniture store that used to be Fishman's. Meh, not for me.

Now on the outskirts of that small town is a WallyWorld, Kohls and a Target. We Christmas shop on Amazon Prime and we stay away. Black Friday sucks and no way I deal with that. Don't need it, don't want it.

Fishman's Burlington Vermont circa 1960's Notice the sign that advertises a Roast Vermont Turkey Dinner with dressing for 59 cents or a Pineapple Tulip sundae for 20 cents.

mcalB18F16i01-full.jpg

Last edited:

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I haven't done the crowd thing in years. Like you Angel I get very anxious around crowds, I hate 'em. I have done on-line shopping for years now and it has made life a lot easier.

When I do venture out it is to go around the various neighborhoods looking at the Christmas lights. We have people in our area that go all out for Christmas and decorate.

I love the holiday's with family and friends, but that is about it. The experiences I had as a youth are gone, but they are still wonderful memories.

In Detroit when the old Hudson store was the main attraction, my mom would take us there for lunch and to see Santa. It was a great day.

http://historicdetroit.org/galleries/hudsons-department-store-old-photos/

https://michpics.wordpress.com/2010/11/27/holiday-shopping-at-j-l-hudsons-in-detroit/

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I have wonderful memories of Christmas parades, going up in the big department stores with Grandma in the elevators on Wabash Avenue in Terre Haute, Indiana.
Last time I was there, nothing seemed the same.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'll third or fourth it. I hate shopping in stores. No patience for it. Christmas sure isn't what it used to be. I absolutely hate it now. The whole commercialization of it from Halloween till January I could just do without.

living the dream

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I'll third or fourth it. I hate shopping in stores. No patience for it. Christmas sure isn't what it used to be. I absolutely hate it now. The whole commercialization of it from Halloween till January I could just do without.

living the dream

I got my first Christmas catalog back in September......:hammer::hammer::hammer:

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
I hate Thanksgiving day. I have bad memories of to many people crammed into a small house. My mom insisted on everyone sitting at the table.
I'm the youngest of 5 so by the time I was 10 or so most of my brothers & sisters were married.
They had kids of there own and we would be packed into a small house at a table that my mom had borrowed. The only place it would (barely) fit was in the living room. If the coffee tables etc. were moved out.
My mom would be slaving away in the kitchen getting upset with everyone.
Some of the family were drunk of course.
A big hassle all round.
Now I told the (surviving) members how I feel. My sister (that still) lives instate agrees with me. So she just spends it with her husband (usually they go out to eat).
Last year I stayed home with my cats. I fixed a nice steak, a salad & fried potatoes. In peace and quiet.
I got a steak out of the freezer in my fridge thawing out now.

Angelface

Oh.. my god haha yah sometimes with family can be terrible.. It isn't always that great.. Usually it's my brother and my dad going on for hours over politics.. My mother constantly criticizing my every move in life and how I need to spend more time in church.. Because according to her, I already have one foot in hell... and then both her and my Dad just go on and on about how great my sis is and how she can do nothing wrong. She knows this, so she parades around like shes the best thing ever... It's kinda funny how someone prettier than you always gets what they want and when they fuck up, it's never their fault.. :ermm:

Then I have some in my family who still will not even talk to me, like my grandmother won't even look at me.. because the stuff I have done. Maybe my Mother should be talking to them about the power of forgiveness?? :whistling: Oh well.. there is times where we all laugh and still make the most of it.. I loved going to my ex husband's family for Thanksgiving.. it was always so laid back and nobody was afraid to be who they are.. :brows:

Anyways.. yes the whole holiday season anymore seems to turn into some massive corporate circus that everyone HAS to spend money to enjoy it... I'd rather just hike to my favorite spot, put on some ear buds and listen to some soothing music... People can have their materialism that creates only a fraction of happiness in their lives. I sometimes wish I grew up in different times...

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't have a problem with people or crowds, but wouldn't do Black Friday if someone paid me.
Been there, done that too many times and always say there is nothing I want or need that bad that I'd risk life and limb over.

I love Thanksgiving and Christmas both, but it's not the same since I've lost so many family members prematurely, which is why I am happy to have two beautiful sons, granddaughters and some whom I consider extended family.

We've all come full circle during the last couple of years and are thankful that we have each other.

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Oh.. my god haha yah sometimes with family can be terrible.. It isn't always that great.. Usually it's my brother and my dad going on for hours over politics.. My mother constantly criticizing my every move in life and how I need to spend more time in church.. Because according to her, I already have one foot in hell... and then both her and my Dad just go on and on about how great my sis is and how she can do nothing wrong. She knows this, so she parades around like shes the best thing ever... It's kinda funny how someone prettier than you always gets what they want and when they fuck up, it's never their fault.. :ermm:

Then I have some in my family who still will not even talk to me, like my grandmother won't even look at me.. because the stuff I have done. Maybe my Mother should be talking to them about the power of forgiveness?? :whistling: Oh well.. there is times where we all laugh and still make the most of it.. I loved going to my ex husband's family for Thanksgiving.. it was always so laid back and nobody was afraid to be who they are.. :brows:

Anyways.. yes the whole holiday season anymore seems to turn into some massive corporate circus that everyone HAS to spend money to enjoy it... I'd rather just hike to my favorite spot, put on some ear buds and listen to some soothing music... People can have their materialism that creates only a fraction of happiness in their lives. I sometimes wish I grew up in different times...

Big hugs from a cyber friend. :smile: