• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

thiokol 2100 sapmaster

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Well a few weeks ago i bought a narrowed up 2100,i bought it to use in my maple sugaring operation. I had the machine at my friends groomer show in central N.H. ,since then i built a small body on the back of it to haul sap buckets ,and then the sap gathering tank. Here we are setting out buckets, its working great. Knock on MAPLE wood !!!!:clap:

large.jpg

large.jpg

olympicorange

…….. nice Don,... putting the work horse to , well ''work''.... hows the 300 running ,… pretty quite in the cab,.. it was the day of the show... waiting for the pic with the 300 gal. tank next,... :thumbup:

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
The width on the track is 8'6" the blade 9'. Bruce i had the sap tank in it first,just walk up the sprocket and dump the sap into the tank. going to finish tapping today then clean up the sugarhouse.

olympicorange

…… COOL, i'll have to swing down and check it out . i'm guessing this weekends ride to the cookout is on hold, due to weather,...….have you heard anything from the guyz,.....thx don...….

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Its amazing how fast the snow has gone in 2 weeks! The sapmaster should be gathering sap this afternoon,we got about 400 taps out yesterday and was running pretty well. To bad about the cookout ride,i know many were looking forward to it. maybe Cheryl will get a few pictures with the gathering tank in use.

Bannedjoe

It amazes me that people still really do this.
It's got to be a hell of a lot of work!

But who doesn't love real maple syrup?

Keep up the good work.

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
We gathered one tank full of sap this afternoon,250 gallons about 1 ton the machine worked perfectly. my wife didn't show up so no pictures this time. My sap has a low sugar content so we have to boil about 50 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of syrup. takes about 1 cord of wood to make 10 gallons of syrup in my evaporator. heres a picture of the sugarhouse and evaporator setup.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Bannedjoe

So by the time it's down to the gallon, how much do you figure you have into each one, including your time?

Just curious.

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Its just a hobby !!!! no way do i want to actually figure out the cost !:hammer: most of the syrup gets divvied up among family members, i sell a few gallons. Were not a big operation make between 40-50 gallons per season. Our family has made syrup for years my brother and i used to help,"HINDER" my grandfather making syrup back in the late 50's in his sugar house. My grandfather made syrup all his life,along with logging with horses and just having a small farm. Don

Bannedjoe

Its just a hobby !!!! no way do i want to actually figure out the cost !:hammer: most of the syrup gets divvied up among family members, i sell a few gallons. Were not a big operation make between 40-50 gallons per season. Our family has made syrup for years my brother and i used to help,"HINDER" my grandfather making syrup back in the late 50's in his sugar house. My grandfather made syrup all his life,along with logging with horses and just having a small farm. Don

Got it.:smile:

PJL

Yeah I was curious about that too. Seems very labor intensive. How does one make a profit? What's a gallon of syrup sell for?

Now I have a hankering for waffles.

Tucker Someday

GOLD Site Supporter
Some of my favorite memories as a kid were helping out around the sugar house. Spring weather, sunny days, the wood fire, steaming sap, maybe a little syrup on snow or ice cream...I get it. But you don’t want to figure out the cost per gallon! That would take all of the fun away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olympicorange

…….. it's a labor of love, for sure,....my brother does it with his buddies. the grocery stores sell a gallon,...depending on grade & quality,...for between $50.00/$60.00 per gallon,....so anybody that gets a quart , from a buddy doing it ,... really treasures it over the next year,...till the next ''boiling'' ,... nice operation Don,...:thumbup::thumbup:

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
I think the real money in maple syrup is in selling maple sugaring supplys !!:smile::smile: The big maple producers use plastic tubing, vaccuum on there lines,then reverse osmosis to bring the sugar content up to 10-12% and then boil on a oil fired arch. Some i know have 100,000 taps out and start tapping in January. We do it the old way except the thiokol gathering sap,horses and a sled with gathering tank were the real old way.

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
We used the 2100 sapmaster to gather another 300 gallons of sap today,so we got 600 gallons to start boiling tomorrow . Heres a few pictures of the tank and buckets on the back of the machine.Still have some snow,but it will be turning to mud soon !!!!

large.jpg

large.jpg

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Dennis,Dont need a PM ,visitors are welcome.:thumbup:the road is muddy you will probably have to walk,about 300 yds from rt 3 to the sugar house across from Marks where you guys were sight seeing on your snowcat trip.Don

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Well thats a good question with the time change tonight !!!:th_lmao:probably be boiling around 9:00 ,takes a while for the cold arch to heat up,probably wont have any syrup made untill after noon,all fresh sap takes the longest to get started. My brother Ray will be there he had a few imps and the j5 up to the show.

Bannedjoe

I wonder if you can do this with mesquite?
All's I got are mesquites, and prickly pear cactus.

I won't go near a prickly pear.
Don't much care for the mesquite either. :)

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
i'm not crazy about syrup and use jam but often wonder if all maple trees are good for syrup.

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Most all maples have a sweet sap that can make syrup,the" sugar maple, hard maple,rock maple," same name for one kind of maple tree has the highest sugar content in its sap and is the preferred tree for making syrup ,maple sugar, or maple candy.

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
My dad does a small amount of maple syrup, maybe a gallon or two a year.
He has also made birch syrup, lower sugar content so it takes more sap to get less syrup.

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
So far weve gathered 1050 gallons of sap and theres another 350 gallons to gather tomorrow morning. We have been boiling pretty steady, and we have mud from the main road to the sugarhouse !!!!!:smile:I have had a bunch of help from members of the snowcat group and it makes the time go by pretty fast.