• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker 1443 Tie Rod Ends and New Rod Math Check

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Anybody know what off the shelf part # Tie Rod end works on a 1973 1443 and probably others. Track Inc said to go match it up at a store and haven't heard back from Clyde this week. I have a NOS spare but the painted number on it is worn off.

Threaded tie rod end is 1 1/8"-12TPI and the taper is the 7/8" thread at the top. It is the same dodge taper rate as the smaller 442/443 but thicker diameter. I don't think I even need to replace the ends but I am curious as to what they are off of. Internet didn't give me any rod end options with that thread.

As for the tube my plan is to use 1.5" DOM that has a .250 wall thickness bringing the ID to approx an inch.

1-1/8-12TPI Tap wants a 1 3/64" hole or 1.0469. That shouldn't be much material to remove and then thread. Sound correct?

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
To hijack for a moment- I forgot to follow up on something related to this after you went to put all of the tools away in Thornton. Take a look on your rear tie-rod tube to see if there is a contact mark on it from the bolt holding the front shackle. When you were at full right turn I think you may have been limited some by that bolt end touching the tube. A thicker tube would hinder that more, unless the bolt was flipped around so only the head surface of the bolt was protruding.

On a side note, what are you charging for your tie rod upgrades?

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
When I measured the tube with the calipers it came in at 1 5/8". I will check into that.

Think I have the wrench and socket to get that rear taper also. Stay tuned....

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Brian, Why couldnt you run a couple beads of weld along the tube to shrink the threaded end ,and run the tap back into it to clean it up ? seen some amazing things shrunk and straightened by running a few passes of weld on them. JMO. Don

j farm

GOLD Site Supporter
I just replaced the front tie rod ends on my 1973 542 last weekend in preparation for sun valley. Try Dayton part numbers 310-456 for the left thread and 310-455 for the right side they have a 7/8 nut on them and 1 1/8 thread for the rod end fit perfect on mine. Ironically they are the same tie rod ends that fit my Peterbilt

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Don,

I can continue to use these with some modifications and rework. Easier to stick a DOM in the lathe and turn out some nice new ones. Pliers marks all over the old ones now no bueno!

j farm

GOLD Site Supporter
Remember to put a lock nut on only one side of the tie rod to allow for movement