• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow-trac upgrades

Whipper

New engine and new wiring harness ready to be installed in my st4

Attachments

• 73930.jpg
    73930.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 318
  • 73933.jpg
    73933.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 318
  • 73925.jpg
    73925.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 316

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice!

Keep up the PHOTOS.

We love picture threads.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
No that is the new header for it. A couple of modifications to it, but should fit.
hope it works out. you need to reduce the heat in the engine bay not increase it. are you installing a fan or oil cooler?

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Will be using the original heater boxes

The original heat boxes, if I am not mistaken work in conjunction with the outer steel shell surrounding the exhaust pipes/manifolds. This is the heat exchanger that gives you cabin heat. Your engine fan blows through this exhaust pipe heat exchanger to the J boxes. Not sure how your going to replicate this with a header. Jim is also correct, under the hood heat is your enemy. I doubt your original engine surround tin will go over the header. Even in the cold we get in the Midwest, if your working the engine hard in deep snow, temps are an issue.

Not trying to change your mind, just point out the obvious. An oil cooler would be an excellent idea, with the heat exchanger in the cabin with a fan on it.

In my climate, as much as I would like a header, it is not feasible in sub zero temps. I like to take off my coats in my machine when driving it.

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
it would take a way the pretty but a nice exhaust wrap like are used in marine applications would take away a lot of the radiant heat forcing it out the tail pipe.

Mamesman

Site Supporter
Not sure how far you are on this yet, but curious about the wiring harness, what is it's intended use (vw? hot rod? etc?) and how is it working for the Snow Trac?

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
it would take a way the pretty but a nice exhaust wrap like are used in marine applications would take away a lot of the radiant heat forcing it out the tail pipe.
unless the header is stainless I wouldn't put exhaust wrap on it, it will burn out fairly quickly.

Sno-Surfer

That's what it looks like. Just my two cents but I'd want the exhaust exiting out the back of the cab. When you run the pipe all the way back it quiets it down and really doesn't even sound like a vw anymore. That's the way mine was set up and I really liked it.